• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

taking selfies with IBM 5160 and Inboard386

Cimonvg

Experienced Member
Hello
what is possible with the old 5150/5160 motherboard ?
Well today i took a selfie with the old pc :)
On ebay there were a "AudioVision" (from SmithMicro) software box for auction. It states minimum: 4 Mb ram and windows 3.1.
Let me to thinking "can a 5150/560 with Inboard386, do teleconference ?". (look at my thread "http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?49421-Running-Win32s-on-ibm-5150-with-Inboard-386-pc ", for the detailes on how the Inboard386 and windows 3.1 is done)
I then did buy the audiovision software and a "zipshot" capture device from ArcSoft. Zipshot connects to the LPT port and runs windows 3.1.
Received the software, and it installs like a charm on 5160 with inboard 386 +4Mb RAM module. BUT it wants a COM port connection - not ethernet and IP trafic. Not to say it is 100% impossible, but it makes it a bit more difficult to make this work.
Did receive the zipshot , BUT it demands 8 Mb ram for install. ...think... think.. I did install on another windows 3.1 computer (with +8Mb ram) and copied the few driver files to the Inboard PC, and did edit the system.ini accordingly. And it worked :)
Today i did a selfie of the computer (did paint three arrows on the selfie : red arrow = (in mirror) Intel webcamera model YC64, green arrow= the zipshot, blue arrow= inboard in ibm5160 pc).

PCSELFI.jpg

The selfie were acquired on the IBM5160 through Photostyler software, then click "scan" and used TWAIN system , and it lanched the TWAIN software like it suppose to. Again it all took allot of time, every step like 5-30 sec. And if i enlarged the scan to like 640*480, the pc became kind of unstable. TWAIN scan in 340*240 works okay!
I think the driver made for 8Mb ram and runnig in 4,5 Mb ram is not ideal, but it works well in low resolution scan pictures (and of course unsupported ,when i use the driver in a pc not meeting the minimum system requirement ).

And the teleconference idear - well, this pc were on a hard job just to take ONE picture, then teleconference is TO optimistic (?) ;)
/cimonvg

In the days of my misspent youth I took a perfectly respectable 1968 Chevy II Nova and turned it into an NHRA D/MP screamer that would occasionally dip into the 11's. So I cannot in good faith suggest you've desecrated a perfectly nice IBM 5160. ;-)

But srsly, Dude, A selfie? A #SELFIE?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=youtube+selfie

..:D ... yes , i could have chosen other titles for this thread, but people take a lot of selfies these days, and aim is to see how much of the new stuff the old PC can handle..
and i think the computer and setup were more interesting then a picture of me, therefor a picture of the PC it self..
/cimonvg

This makes me curious.
For the other parallel port cameras was there ever a way to save a framegrab through DOS?

I wrote a DOS program that grabbed a grayscale image from the first Quickcam over the parallel port; it was easy enough to do, but I'm not sure DOS software was ever officially produced.

Amstrad's PCW (all-in-one wordprocessor thingy) had some video capture capabilities, of course from VHS at that time. It was monochrome (green) and horrifically slow, but it worked so it must be possible on a PC/XT which is by comparison much more powerful.

Well, there was the Computer Eyes Pro from Digital Vision. That was an 8-Bit ISA card, and worked by pointing a composite video camera at a still image and it would sloooowly scan it in. It came with only DOS software. I recall using it on a 286. It seems likely it would have worked on an 8088.

Back