• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Tandem Computers--Terminal? What is this?

The keyboard had PF keys that generally indicate it is for a VT-100 terminal. If the monitor goes with that keyboard, it will probably be capable of color. All the Tandem terminals I have information on were color.

I don't remember any Tandem terminals having local 5.25" drives.

It's hard to say if the terminal is complete or not. Early on, Tandem terminals were 3-piece affairs--you had the keyboard and the monitor that sat atop the low-profile electronics. A rear view of the thing would be useful and would tell all.

I was going to say that I doubted there was a computer and it was just a terminal, as Tandem only made very specialized, highly reliable multi-cpu machines, where the each instruction was executed on multiple and the results compared to ensure they were correct, but I see from the Tandem wiki page that in 1985 they did make a micro system..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandem_Computers

but that it was incompatible with the IBM PC at both the hardware and software levels, and was quickly reduced to being a smart terminal, but I can't find any pics.

So who knows. My guess is that the computer or terminal bit is missing, the way the monitor is built does not leave much room for boards, and I can't see a computer fitting in the floppy case but I may be wrong. As Chuck says pics of the connectors would help greatly..

Jimmy Treybig was quite a showman and marketer. I recall that when Tandem was just getting going, he'd invite prospective customers to take a pair of diagonal cutters and cut any single wire on a running Tandem box. That pretty much sold a lot of people. Tandem was marketed as the "non stop computer'. In the early days of the web, Tandem computers were still being used as servers. IIRC, the "onsale.com" auction site proudly posted the "Powered by Tandem" legend.

After HP bought them, they pretty much vanished as a brand. I still have my copy of Bill Gray's paper "Why Computers Stop".

Alrighty then... I guess the next question I'd have to ask is, is it worth picking up?

EDIT: Read those links that were posted, it looks like to me that this could be a Tandem Computers Dynamite PC-Workstation, well, it would be if it had the computer...

I'll try to see if I can get more pics, but I'll most likely call the guy. Also, you can tell by looking at the screen that it's a green monochrome. It has a green tint. Also, history backs me up! See here: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9f/c5/1e/9fc51e23177a270b52fa287740539b56.jpg

Last edited:
Just talked to the guy, wants about $100 for it.

I can't do it, wouldn't anyway since he hasn't tested any of it. So, I'm gonna let somebody else get this one.

Thanks guys! :D

Would love to read that, how can I get a copy?

It's on bitsavers--and it's Jim Gray, not Bill Gray. I'm bad with names.

The interesting thing is that Tandem doesn't do the majority-poll thing such that S[sub]i+1[/sub] = F(S[sub]i[/sub]) is guaranteed to be correct--just that they have a system where the machine won't stop because of error.

It's on bitsavers--and it's Jim Gray, not Bill Gray. I'm bad with names.

The interesting thing is that Tandem doesn't do the majority-poll thing such that S[sub]i+1[/sub] = F(S[sub]i[/sub]) is guaranteed to be correct--just that they have a system where the machine won't stop because of error.

Very interesting read; I found a new quote to use, the one that distinguishes the difference between Availability & Reliability.

I saw this and texted the guy just because I wanted to have a look at it. Not sure it would be of any use, as I can't find any software for it.

Back