• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

tandy 2000 start up disk needed

harry

Experienced Member
I am in need of a system disk to boot my tandy 2000, If anyone has a suitable
system disk and could make a copy, it would be really good !! seeing the machine working is not far away, The image shows the machine switched on, and shows 256k memory, that is as far as I can go at present. Any other software, would be a great help, or any info where I can obtain suitable programs to run would be good news!

thanks Harry

Attachments

• P1010787.jpg
    P1010787.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2
Any DOS 2.2 disk should work on it... IIRC, that machine had an 80188 or 80186 CPU which wasn't fully compatible like the 8088/8086 and the 286 CPUs were.

Any DOS 2.2 disk should work on it... IIRC, that machine had an 80188 or 80186 CPU which wasn't fully compatible like the 8088/8086 and the 286 CPUs were.

Nope, won't work. You have to have Tandy 2000 MS-DOS for this machine. The BIOS is loaded from diskette. All that is on board is a bootstrap program.

If you have the ability to run ImageDisk by Dave Dunfield and have a 5.25" HD drive, I have the DOS disks and HD formatting programs archived. Images can usually be written to a regular DS/DD diskette.

Kelly

Hi, many thanks for replies, I would certainly be interested in having a go to make some disks from the correct images, for this machine, I have used teledisk , with some success,in the past, I sure would like give it a go. I have tried booting the tandy using what dos disks I have, but I get no response what so ever. so yes, It seems it is only bootable with the correct tandy boot disk , please let me know how to proceed, to obtain and download the image archives you have.

best regards Harry

many thanks for info, I'll see if things work out, and hopefully make some progress, and let you know. I have also managed to find some other sites with info on the 2000, but software is not so easy to find , shame it wasn't 100%
compatible with IBM ! one of the nails in their coffin I presume.

Harry

Hi Harry!

I too am a (proud!) owner of a T2K. I restored a Tandy 2000 HD from two dead machines (20 MB disk, 2 floppies, 256K, and mono) and it's running beautifully. People tend to turn up their noses at the Tandy 2000 because it was a market flop, but I have a soft spot for it because it's an oddball (one of only two 80186-based machines on the market, IIRC). So great to see another one out there.

I have Open Access for the T2k. It's an office suite (spreadsheet, PIM, word processor, etc). PM me if you have interest in this...

nope, there were more then 2.

Mindset
Burroughs Icon
Research Machines Nimbus (UK)
Televideo Personal Mini
Altos ?
original Little Board PC by Ampro (really a SBC)
Northstar Dimension
various *4 port* cards by AST, Orchid (ok not really puters but close)
my Vermont Microsystems IBM PGC clone has an 80188

I'm sure I've omitted a few...

Back