• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 6000 destroyed in shipping - keep it or refund?

Thought you might get a laugh out of this. I bought an Amdek Color-1 Composite CRT monitor for a good price. This is how it arrived today: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gUhyy4Xegav6hxvx5

The monitor was crammed into a box the same size as the monitor itself with not a single bit of packing material. No newspager, no packing peanut, no nothing.

Im messaging the seller now and they gave me the "we have shipped all over the world with no problems! Something must have leaned on it when it got to your area"

I dont get it.. I really dont.

Last edited:
But they did write FRAGILE all over it! That's protection magic, right? How could they not carefully walk it from one truck to another?

Sheesh. I once got a new-in-box Atari 5200 trackball from another collector, and the guy put it in a box that was snugly bigger in the X and Y direction. Peanuts in the bottom, slide the box in, then put more peanuts on top. Of course the box got crushed corners.

And one time I shipped a very rare new-in-box game system (Arcadia 2001) to another collector. He said the outer box looked like hell when he got it, but I understood that in a 3D world you need to put padding on six sides, so the box inside was perfect when he opened it.

Extruded styrofoam (used for home installation; pick it up at Lowe's or the like) used to create a box-within-a-box has always worked for CRT shipping for me. The other trick is to pack things firmly so the item does not move (lots of bubble wrap helps).

When I shipped tubas, I'd stick a partially-deflated beach ball in the bell to distribute impact force. Never lost an instrument.

This happened to me with a PDP-11 computer I had ordered. It wasn't one of the super expensive ones - but they are all irreplaceable now. It made me sick that the unit was damaged so badly in transit. From that point on, I've thought if I find something that I really care about on one of these auction sites - I'm not going to buy it unless I can pick it up personally or else pay to have it properly packed/palletized by a private company with enough insurance to make sure they do it properly! Having said that, I would keep the unit if the boards are OK, because you might find a great case some day without the boards!

Just a thought for anyone considering buying or shipping fragile stuff this time of year - this is probably the worst time of year for anything like that. Last year around the holidays, the post office was totally blowing goats. Well, a hell of a lot more than usual, that is.

If something big and fragile came up on eBeh, I wouldn't even consider risking it until January.

The hilarity ensues! The seller of the monitor said they would buy appropriate packing material and a new box and ship me a replacement. take a look https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rbh6Hr9TaFymduqA8

Shipped in the exact same width box I already told them was way, way, way too small for this monitor. And badly packed. I love how some folks charge shipping and think that money is thiers, and not to be used for shipping and packing purposes.

Another premium Amdek monitor bites the dust because of greed and stupidity. Facebook wins again! It always does...

Last edited:
So now they are saying the photos of both monitors (which show photos of before I opened it and after as well as the damage) are not good enough. They want all new photos, and photos of me opening the second monitor... Because I can somehow go back in time.

They sent long winded messages about how her dad is old... then she got religious because Its not thier fault and they paid out of pocket and im the bad guy. I saved the whole message as a pdf and opened a pay pal claim.. My god....

The things we do just to buy something...

I need a Bourbon.. And only Bulleit will do.

Last edited:
So now they are saying the photos of both monitors (which show photos of before I opened it and after as well as the damage) are not good enough. They want all new photos, and photos of me opening the second monitor... Because I can somehow go back in time.

They sent long winded messages about how her dad is old... then she got religious because Its not thier fault and they paid out of pocket and im the bad guy. I saved the whole message as a pdf and opened a pay pal claim.. My god....

The things we do just to buy something...

I need a Bourbon.. And only Bulleit will do.
Drop the bomb on them immediately. I'm as sympathetic as the next guy, but every time they start with the sad-sack, boo-hoo stuff my blood pressure starts to go up. I've been burned so many times to that tune I've lost count.

yeah i hear you. its business.. thats all buying stuff is. Im an ebay seller.. i am 100% aware my customers couldnt care less about my personal life and its accompanying issues... why would they? All they are interested in is making a purchase.

I opened the paypal claim yesterday. I escalated it today. Now i gotta wait.

Last edited:
Sad that it had to come to that, and a cool piece of nostalgia was lost. =( Fortunately eBay seems to be good about refundsm fingers crossed!

I'm more amazed by some of the poorly packed things I've bought that arrived with little, or no damage. It's particularly annoying when they charge an exorbitant price for shipping, then just toss it in an old box with no padding.

For things that are too fragile, or heavy to ship, I use U-ship. It's more expensive, but I've never had a single thing damaged. It's worth it for special things, and it a lot less trouble than driving for many hours to pick it up personally. The item doesn't need to be packed at all since it's a door to door service. Just arrange for local pickup with the seller. The drivers tend to be independent contractors who put together cross county routs with as many pickups and drop offs as possible. If you and the seller aren't in a hurry, it's often not too expensive.

Shango066's moved color TV's with U-ship and he pointed out every set he did arrived necked to the point on his last shipment he sent the set U-ship and the CRT separately. When I had my card punch sent from Texas it was palletized or nothing.

The last few "oversize" shipments I have done involved me hunting down 14-18" squared shipping pallets for merchandisers and building a carton around the item. Costs a lot more money but the items survive.

I can speak for the 6000 sucking to move because I trashed one back in 2011 sending it to Australia and the seller damn near gave me a blank cheque to use for shipping materials. I looked like a complete clown. It and the model II/16 is simply too large to put into a regular cardboard box without custom foam inserts or Instapak and I had neither.

Shango066's moved color TV's with U-ship and he pointed out every set he did arrived necked to the point on his last shipment he sent the set U-ship and the CRT separately. When I had my card punch sent from Texas it was palletized or nothing.
Weird, I've used them to move 3 vintage color TVs, a cocktail table video game, two pairs of large electrostatic speakers, two large 1970's video tape recorders, and a large box speaker. Everything arrived without a scratch, and nothing was even in a cardboard box. I guess it depends on the particular contractor you get.

Back