• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 6000 Keyboard Disaster :(

hexsane

Experienced Member
In the on going saga of restoring a Tandy 6000HD I was presented with this:

Picture 4455.jpgPicture 4449.jpgPicture 4446.jpg

:(

It just keeps getting better. I've cleaned off the 1/32" layer of corrosion to find eaten through traces and pits in the copper. I reassembled the keyboard and found the keys that were working before are still working (yeah!). Any suggestions on tinning the bare copper from the cleaning?

I've been reading about replacing the pads and am making a trip to several stores to get the required goods in the next 24 hours. These pads appear to be larger than those in a SOL so it'll be interesting finding something to cut the circles. Any hints here?

-Matt

Ordered. Thanks.

Any idea about an easy source of the foam? I've had no luck in finding anything suitable. Is it the same thickness as the SOL keyboard (.20"). From that dimension I take it .25" is just a bit to much?

-Matt

Ordered. Thanks.

Any idea about an easy source of the foam? I've had no luck in finding anything suitable. Is it the same thickness as the SOL keyboard (.20"). From that dimension I take it .25" is just a bit to much?

-Matt
Wouldn't weatherstripping foam and/or double-sided foam tape work for this? You can get open- and closed-cell versions in various thicknesses.

Mike: That was my first inclination. I found nothing wide enough that was open-cell and when I did it was way to thick.

3/16" track bedding sounds like the way to go. I'll see if I can find some at a local hobby shop.

-Matt

I used the track bedding as described in the MARCH exchange. Then used the 6000 ini question to host 3 terminals for vistitors to use MBASIC for one of the recent VCF East events. Keyboard is still working 2 years later. The track bedding is a little stiff but it works. I would like to find something "softer".

I'm sure Lorne would be MORE than happy to make you up a set of pads, wouldn't you, Lorne? :)

Nope - my arch punches are 1 5/8" and 1" dia.
I did think maybe I had a buyer for one of the arch punches, until I read further.
All my cork pads have been punched - I must have punched 75 sets of pads x 8 pads per set x 4 whacks with a mallet for each pad = 2400 whacks = 20 blisters.
I never want to have to use an arch punch again.

My model 16 runs with a model II keyboard as well. Works just fine.

Well, that's because the 16(a) is just a white Model II with a 68K board set in it :)

The Model II keyboard will work fine on the 16(a) and the 12, 16B and 6K keyboards are interchangeable.

What seems to be difficult is finding the matrix chips for the Model II type keyboards which used a XR-908 and a XR-950. I have a Model II keyboard with a bad matrix chip and I haven't been able to find either chip in years of occasional searching.

If memory serves, those are the old Exar numbers. I think you'd like to find the XR22950 and the XR22908.

Maybe they're hiding in a stack of Chinese pulls.

Wonder of wonders, I just got one off ebay.
Obviously cleaned up, but looks to be in great condition.
Keys are yellowed, funny, just the letter, number and symbol keys, not the op or function keys, wtf over?
Missing one rubber foot, no biggy. Connector is in great shape, no rust or significant wear.

Question, should I take this thing apart to check/clean it, or leave it be?
Keys are nice and springy, if not exactly snappy, but I never actually used one before either.

I purchased Sun Type 4 keyboards on eBay. The Sun keyboard is more recent and the foam pads are still in good condition. I removed the pads from the Tandy/TRS-80 keyboard and installed those obtained from the Sun keyboards.

I repaired two Model II keyboards and a Model 6000 keyboard using this technique. Previously unuseable keyboards are now 100% reliable.

Kevin

Is this pretty much a straight swap or modification required?

I purchased Sun Type 4 keyboards on eBay. The Sun keyboard is more recent and the foam pads are still in good condition. I removed the pads from the Tandy/TRS-80 keyboard and installed those obtained from the Sun keyboards.

I repaired two Model II keyboards and a Model 6000 keyboard using this technique. Previously unuseable keyboards are now 100% reliable.

Kevin

Back