• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy T-1000 missing keyboard

bettablue

Veteran Member
I was given another Tandy T-1000 286 computer this last week. So this makes two in my posession. I have the other one sold to a co-worker, but want to keep this one for use as a "tweener" system. It does have the ability to install a 360 Kb floppy drive along with it's internal 3.5" 1.44 Meg drive afterI remove the original hard disk. The only problem is that the computer is missing the keyboard. Does anyone have such a board? I looked on E-Bay and a few other places and found a couple, but I really don't want to spend more than this computer is worth just for a keyboard.

I guess if I can't find one, I'll sell this one too.

It is a Tandy T-1000 RL HD. 1 Meg of RAM, 30 Meg hard drive, I believe, it could be a 40 Meg) Color video adapter and original monitor. It is a super clean and working system and even has a working clock battery. Sorry, I won't part it out.

Please PM me if you have a keyboard I can purchase or if you want to make an offer to buy it as is. Remember though, it is fully functional. It really is in great shape.

I was given another Tandy T-1000 286 computer this last week. So this makes two in my posession. I have the other one sold to a co-worker, but want to keep this one for use as a "tweener" system. It does have the ability to install a 360 Kb floppy drive along with it's internal 3.5" 1.44 Meg drive afterI remove the original hard disk. The only problem is that the computer is missing the keyboard. Does anyone have such a board? I looked on E-Bay and a few other places and found a couple, but I really don't want to spend more than this computer is worth just for a keyboard.

I guess if I can't find one, I'll sell this one too.

It is a Tandy T-1000 RL HD. 1 Meg of RAM, 30 Meg hard drive, I believe, it could be a 40 Meg) Color video adapter and original monitor. It is a super clean and working system and even has a working clock battery. Sorry, I won't part it out.

Please PM me if you have a keyboard I can purchase or if you want to make an offer to buy it as is. Remember though, it is fully functional. It really is in great shape.

Hang on to it. Hargle is working a keyboard adapter for 1000. No time table on the project but something is in the air.

I was wondering what sort of $$ value you place on a decent working keybox? I have two 1000 models here but I only have one keybox which I swap back and forth from the SL to the TX. I was thinking about looking for another one but have put it off. I have also thought about picking up another monitor but have sidelined that for a while now too. I only have a CM-5 which is always connected to the SL. I have been using a small TV for the TX. My personal take is that its not as though you come across them every day. Less than ten years ago the thrift stores could not give that stuff away as they had so many of them being donated; that is not the case anymore. It is the same with the main computers themselves. With the price of gold going through the roof items like that are being scrapped and processed for what little gold there is in the processor and other boards on the contacts. Anyway, would it be $5,$10,$20 ???
BTW- what sort of value are you placing on your RL HD ?

I was wondering what sort of $$ value you place on a decent working keybox? I have two 1000 models here but I only have one keybox which I swap back and forth from the SL to the TX. I was thinking about looking for another one but have put it off. I have also thought about picking up another monitor but have sidelined that for a while now too. I only have a CM-5 which is always connected to the SL. I have been using a small TV for the TX. My personal take is that its not as though you come across them every day. Less than ten years ago the thrift stores could not give that stuff away as they had so many of them being donated; that is not the case anymore. It is the same with the main computers themselves. With the price of gold going through the roof items like that are being scrapped and processed for what little gold there is in the processor and other boards on the contacts. Anyway, would it be $5,$10,$20 ???
BTW- what sort of value are you placing on your RL HD ?

I know exactly what you mean. How can you put a price on something that to most people is worthless? I remember seeing these computers all over the place in thrift stores, and all of the sudden, they're gone. Yet, right here, right now, there is a Tandy 1000 RL sitting in my den. The original owner had left the keyboard in GA when he moved to Vegas three to four years ago. Why he kept the computer is anyones guess. I finally bought a keyboard through E-Bay winning the auction with a $5.50 bid. The really sad part about it is that during the time of this keyboards acuction, there wasn't another one out there for sale as far as my searches could uncover. So now, I have a complete Tandy 1000 RL computer system. It's hard to put a value on it, but adding an original keyboard makes the machine at least useable. That in itself will give it some monetary value.

The really bad thing about Tandy computers is that during a time when computer manufacturers were touting their IBM compatability, Tandy still chose to make their systems hardware proprietary to their own. Parts, like the keyboard, for Tandy systems would only work with Tandy systems. I think that is exactly why they are worth so little today.

The RL came with a Tandy Enhanced Keyboard, which is a Model M clone. My Model Ms (all true IBM manufacture) worked just fine after the first keystroke in a Tandy 1000 TL, so they should work just fine in an RL. Any XT compatible keyboard, included the 83-key IBM PC/XT keyboard, will too.

The RL came with a Tandy Enhanced Keyboard, which is a Model M clone. My Model Ms (all true IBM manufacture) worked just fine after the first keystroke in a Tandy 1000 TL, so they should work just fine in an RL. Any XT compatible keyboard, included the 83-key IBM PC/XT keyboard, will too.

Yeah, I have a Tandy Enhanced keyboard and it is a nice feeling board. I'd say that I like it as much as the Model Ms, just a good, solid keyboard.

Yeah, I have a Tandy Enhanced keyboard and it is a nice feeling board. I'd say that I like it as much as the Model Ms, just a good, solid keyboard.

I thought it would be as good as a Model M until I started typing on it. Uneven keystrokes and dead spots convinced me otherwise. On the other hand, it will work in an IBM 5150/5155/5160 with any BIOS.

AFAIK you can't use an AT/PS/2 class Keyboard wether it be Model M or other in the RL because it is an XT class machine. Would need at least an XT keyboard with PS/2 adpater or an AT/XT switchable design with also with AT to PS/2 type adapter. Just 2 my cents worth.

The keyboard in the photos looks like a plain old Keytronics keyboard. I wonder if there are spots for LEDs under that Tandy label.

If you'll pay shipping, I'll trade mine for a Model M. :)

Back before the power supply on my 1000 RL died I was using a Model M keyboard with a PS/2 cable attached (mine has the removable cables to swap for PS/2 or XT). No idea if you would be able to find one of the ones like mine though because I've seen a couple Model Ms but none with the removable cable but then again I really can't find any Model Ms easily.

Back before the power supply on my 1000 RL died I was using a Model M keyboard with a PS/2 cable attached (mine has the removable cables to swap for PS/2 or XT). No idea if you would be able to find one of the ones like mine though because I've seen a couple Model Ms but none with the removable cable but then again I really can't find any Model Ms easily.

Not all Model Ms support the XT code set and protocol.

However, the detachable cable on some uses a connector called an "SDL connector'. See here for some of the varietes.

AFAIK you can't use an AT/PS/2 class Keyboard wether it be Model M or other in the RL because it is an XT class machine. Would need at least an XT keyboard with PS/2 adpater or an AT/XT switchable design with also with AT to PS/2 type adapter. Just 2 my cents worth.

I'll find out in a couple of days. The board should be here by Monday or Tuesday, so when it arrives, I'll be able to see the difference. The RL does have a PS2 type connector, so I COULD try my model M on it. However, I use my model M with my current PC. And, being in a wheelchair means I can't just reach around and disconnect it to try on the Tandy. I'll let y'all know what happens though.

Back