• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tektronix 1240 vs 1230 ?

platis

Whats the difference? Lot of 1240 info on the net, but hardly anything about 1230! Seems however a few years younger!
I want a retro logic analyzer to do mostly 8-bit stuff on! Any other suggestion? Be able to read multiplexed signals is a great plus!

Whats the difference? Lot of 1240 info on the net, but hardly anything about 1230! Seems however a few years younger!
I want a retro logic analyzer to do mostly 8-bit stuff on! Any other suggestion? Be able to read multiplexed signals is a great plus!

I have used a Tektronix 1240 and its wonderful color version the 1241 (exceptions displayed in red) in the 80's. They are great analyzers for 8 bit processor designs and older 16 bit designs.

Just make sure the unit you buy comes equipped with the number of channels you need. Add-in modules gave you additional channels. And especially make sure you get a full compliment of pods and their associated flying lead sets or the machine will be useless. I have seen bargain deals for these units that come without pods and leads. Don't buy them like that.

For multiplexed buses like the Zilog Z8000, try to get the proper disassembler ROM option cartridge which will make it easy to directly display symbolic instructions rather than just machine states. But I imagine these cartridges are hard to find nowadays.

I'm guessing the 1230 is a simpler version of the 1240 with less total channel capability.

Back