• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TeleCOMPAQ: Phoning it in

MissArgent

Veteran Member
97FubtX.png

"The Telecompaq reportedly targets managers in medium- to large-size corporations who are not presently computer users and combines an IBM Personal Computer-compatible micro with a host of voice/data communications functions." --Computerworld 4/1/1985

So, I've snagged a TeleCOMPAQ! It's non-working, but knowing the symptoms the seller mentioned and the shortcomings of early COMPAQ hardware, I'm currently suspecting expired tantalums and/or the PSU. Time'll tell whether or not that's the case since it hasn't shipped yet, but in the meanwhile I have some questions Firstly, can I substitute any regular phone for the Dyad phone that'd come with the machine (pictured)? My machine doesn't include one. I suspect that may depend on what sort of phone connection the individual machine may be configured for...

Also, how just how uncommon are these nowadays? They don't seem like something one comes across every day, plus it sounds like few made it into the wild due to a tepid reception and the machine being exclusively sold via telephone companies. I didn't even know they existed until a friend mentioned the one I got to me, and there's plain not a lot on them on the web. Anyone else here have or had one of these? Does anyone have service material I can consult?

Lastly, anyone have any neat anecdotes or personal history related to the machines?

Why am I just now learning about the existence of this?! That thing is super cool! I’d say they are quite rare, as I am very into Compaq stuff and have never seen or heard of one.

I must find one of these for my collection at some point. Very nifty form factor it has. I love the way the keyboard can snap onto the front and be out of the way. I think that would actually make a really nice little DOS machine for myself.

Can’t wait to see some more pics! Hopefully you can get it running as well. :)

Hey Al, I see the CHM has the complete kit including the phone in their inventory. Would you be able to get us some more detailed photographs of the phone? :)

That system looks REALLY awesome. I'm curious to see how all those extra buttons are interfacing with the system.

When I first arrived at Compaq in '88, the office admins had them. They never seemed to use them for much more than a telephone+electronic rolodex. IIRC, they got heavier duty machines for things like Microsoft Word. Never used one myself, but I think it was one of Compaq's early (maybe only?) missteps.

First couple years at Siemens I saw a couple of them around (though they never made it to the scrap sales). I'd probably have passed on them even if they had. Systempro's however, were a highly sought-after item. Always got out-bid on those.

I've never even heard of this. We need photos! :wow::wow::wow:

Ser. no. 5747114B5447 made it home!

AM7Cckh.png

LpF4lEv.jpeg

It's actually just a hair smaller than I was expecting. That Portable-like upper half lead me to think it was gonna be sized more like the Portable I! I haven't even so much as attempted a smoke test yet, the holiday season's on at the post office I work at so the day's left me worn out and I'm concerned about the prospect of a improperly parked MFM drive mulching the data before I can get to it.

Last edited:
What an incredible machine. Definitely get some pics when you crack it open! Would love to see the inside of it. Your unit may not have a hard drive in it, as I don’t see an LED on the faceplate down there. It looks more like a blank, but who knows.

Either way, great find!

Still gotta investigate, but so far as I know HDDless configurations had three floppy drives per Computer 4/1/1985. With this machine's obscure nature, though, it IS possible there'd be a one-drive configuration...which'd just provide enough storage to boot DOS and the resident software. If that's the case, that could be troublesome as this machine didn't come with any diskettes.

Nice! Hopefully the drive will work.

That thing looks well-built for sure. You’re making me want one bad! :D

Do you know if the CPU is an 8086 or an 8088? I know it has to be XT-class from the keyboard layout.

No way, that thing is amazing!!! Very similar concept to the Zaisan. I definitely need one of these Telecompaqs now

Last edited:
Definitely a power supply issue. 120V makes it through the two power switches and into the PSU, but in spite of some signs of high voltage nothing makes it out of the PSU -- even for things not tied to the motherboard voltage rail like the CRT Display or the CRT compartment fan. Apparently it's ALWAYS power supply issues on these machines, so that wasn't unexpected. Now to narrow things down further...

Hard drive won't spin up, either. I spot what I think is a broken cap. Not mere stiction, though...

Have you tried jumpering the power supply using a paper clip yet? ;)

Joking aside, I suspect since you are seeing volts past the rectifier and in the primary side that either the DC control section needs a cap change because the out-of-value caps are messing with the logic (I have seen that happen. I'm working on PSU's right now that this is happening in) or the secondary side caps are unable to handle the inrush and it's going into protection. I believe you mentioned in IRC that with the PSU removed you were not seeing rail shorts to ground.

Does that place even exist anymore beyond a hole in the ground? I thought they started palletizing everything and hauling it away earlier in the year?

Does that place even exist anymore beyond a hole in the ground? I thought they started palletizing everything and hauling it away earlier in the year?
No, a team of volunteers are helping to run the place. It's still open, but you to need to join Computer Reset's Facebook group and be invited to come in.

Back