• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The age old delemma: Do I break the seal or does it sit on the shelf?

njroadfan

Veteran Member
I managed to pick up a set of system manuals and Workbench 3.0 disks for my Amiga 4000 to complete the system. The whole manual bundle and disks came shrink wrapped in a box complete with the EULA still attached. Do I open it up, or do I just put it on the shelf still wrapped up with circa 1992 shrink wrap? I know collectors have varying opinions on this. Most if not all these manuals have already been scanned and archived online (because Commodore).

With the content available digitally, there is no reason to break the shrink wrap unless you want the experience of using the physical books and original disks.

The shrink wrap can always be removed later by a collector who does not want it, but you can't put original sealed shrink wrap back on.

That said, I do not own a single collectors item in shrink wrap because I only collect what I will use, and use it.

I break the seal, but I always try to document EVERYTHING about it. Sometimes the stuff out there are just mediocre floppy images or whatever. I try to scan the box, flyers, manuals, floppy labels, etc.

I break the seal unless I have another copy. More then likely the disks inside will go bad sooner or later so might as well use it.

If I was worried about resale value then it would not be a hobby.

I've got manuals with unbroken shrikwrap. It's unbroken because I never had any need to read the things.

Were you sent free "not for resale" editions of software to try out since you were in the industry? I knew of somebody who had shelves full of that kind of software in the shrinkwrap because they had a computer repair shop a long time ago (and never had a reason to open it). Some of it was pretty obscure stuff.

If these are just the loose manuals and disks (i.e. not boxed), the sealing has no value even for a collector. Unless your Amiga 4000 is new-in-box as well and you plan selling it at some point.

However, do you have any urge to read the manuals? If not, leave them sealed.

The manuals and disks are in a plain white box with a EULA sheet sitting on the front under the wrap. Most vendors just take a stack of manuals and shrink wrap them while Commodore spent the few cents to throw them in a box.

My Amiga 4000 itself is not boxed, far from it. I got the machine bare several years ago.

I say if you can find it online, keep the originals shrink wrapped. I have a shrinkwrapped boxed copy of Windows 95 on 3.5" disks that I never plan on opening because I can just get those disk images on the Internet.

Back