• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The ESA

Vlad

I have mentioned before somewere on the forum about my project of bringing an abandoned ESA online. (Tip: ESA = Endangered Software Archive) As soon as I get some hard drives to setup RAID 5 and maybe a few ORB disks (for backup) I also need a fan or two for the RDRAM and case. Otherwise the server is almost ready to come on line. But, I may or may not need help with manageing the ESA system. Anyone intrested in helping out? The whole point of this ESA is to make a large collection of all of the Vintage software and bootdisks people would need for restoring and running Vintage software. I have the server and webservices, all I need is a few (2 or 3) people to help maintain it. I would like to have a fourm and or chat room there for helping people but thats for a later date.

Anyone intrested?

-Vlad

:idea: IIS experence a plus. (Microsoft Internet and Informations Systems) But not required.

I don't have the time/energy/whatever to assist you in that way, but mebbe I can assist you in the oposite direction -- by piling more work onto ya. I have in my possession a number of shareware disk libraries from some of the local (now defunct) computer clubs. Curt Vendel has taken on the task of cataloging and archiving the Atari collections (soon's I rake up enough $$$ to send him the rest of the disks). I still have two different Apple II libraries (well over a couple-thousand disks altogether). One is from the Flint, MI Apple Club, and another from the Michigan Apple Group. One of the labraries has a printed catalog along with it, but the other group kept thier catalog on-line at thier BBS, so those disks need to be cataloged as well. I'll send 'em to ya, if you're up to such a daunting task.
Oh yeah, I can also set ya up with a "Disk Copying Service Starter Kit" if you wish to offer that option as well. The "kit" will consist of a few hundred new, blank floppies, paper sleves, and card-stock mailers, for the many people who'll want the software, but have no way of creating the disks on thier PCs.

--T

Wow, it's going to take more than one server. Its going to be awile yet. Thanks, you have helped in both ways, providing content, and creating an huge workload.

-Vlad

I also have a (partial?) library of PC disks, (about 700?), from the FlintAreaComputerEnthusiasts (FACE) club, but I'm less worried about those cause there are already a few archives of that stuff available on daNet.

--T

"The ESA" normally is the acronym of the Entertainment Software Association, previously known as IDSA. They seem to be rather protective against online preservation of "abandoned" software. Thus, you may want to give it another acronym, or you choose it on purpose to create confusion.

Both ESA and IDSA are used by other associations. I don't know why IDSA decided to change their name, only to find out that esa.com already was in use and they had to register theesa.com which is even harder to remember than the idsa.com domain they used to have.

I'm sure someone on the Balkan or elsewhere in East Europe has absolutely no problems pronouncing the "vcs" combination.

Endangered sounds like it has to do with wildlife. As soon as you have it in your archive and anyone who needs it can download or order the software, it is no longer endangered too. People like to call it abandonware, so maybe AVAS: Archive of Vintage Abandonware Software?

oh man, i thought this was going to be about the Europan Space Agency, but i guess it would be in the off topic general area if it was :)

chris

Ok, I will.

From what I can tell, previous operator of the old ESA had closed it due to legal reasons. So I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with the legal side of things. I'm no lawyer.

Any ideas or comments on that?

-Vlad

Back