• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Motherload of GRiD Systems!!

Well, no specific listing of what's included and everything is sold as-is with no refunds. The initial asking price is pretty high for not having any idea what you're getting, although the description does mention that reasonable offers are considered. Not sure how far afield the seller will be willing to go, though.

Overall, though, you may end up paying several hundred dollars each for a stack of completely nonfunctional computers.

Not only that, but the systems pictured consists mainly of 2/3 late model GRiD products when they were phoning it in. Each in their own right unique but the high price and "send me an offer" portion of the listing condition is really off-putting like he's just liquidating someone else's collection.

If you look at the other crap that guy is selling it obvious he is not a collector and more then likely looking to flip someone’s estate or collection that they lost interest in. Look at the way the stuff is set up as if it were a display. I have just about everything that’s shown along with more so no interest in the Grid stuff but under the table in one picture appear to be several black boxes that may be Rolm/Nova or other military systems that would be of interest. Look something like 1602 and expansion chasses but can’t see clearly. Thought for a second of sending something to the seller but figure it’s not worth the trouble because its just pure speculation on my part but suspect they would want big money for anything.
Over the past several years have found that whenever a middle man gets between someone wanting to liquidate an estate or collection and the collector who would like to take over responsibility for this stuff there is always an issue. Sometimes it works out but more then often not.
A friend of mine buys Ham Radio estates and sells that stuff on EBay, not in lots by item by item or small groupings and working with him find that often once families or others expecting to make huge money from this stuff gets involved it turns into a cluster (Expletive).

The story from the seller is that he bought a piece of real estate and it had this out-building filled with old military/government radio stuff, and the GRiD systems represent a very small portion of the total volume of stuff.

I can tell you from seeing better pictures from the guy all of these items were stored in a out-building with no temperature/moisture control and the building was poorly sealed against environmental exposure, which he confirmed 100%. We all know what that means.

I offered him a reasonable amount for the lot (and by reasonable, I mean a 4 figure amount) for what is there and given the condition, and he said he'd have to do his research first, which put me off. Wasted about 8 hours trying to work out a deal with him. I then gave him a generous offer (reasonable offer for the items + 25%) for just a few pieces I wanted, and he seemed fairly uninterested. Another member here tried to get him to part with a few systems in the lot for a reasonable amount and he was also rebuffed, so he really does seem to want to get it all out as a lot.

I had alot of hope at the start, but between the conditions they were stored in, and the lack of interest from the seller, it looks like a dead end.

Last edited:
I would honestly like to have every bit of that. Always liked Grids (in particular the early magnesium-cased ones) and don’t have a single one. I think any of my offers would probably offend them though, and I don’t have the room for it all anyways... not to mention the questionable condition some of it is in. I would want to get into it for well under $1k personally, as I know a lot of those Gridcase units had lithium batteries on the board like the old Macs do, and if those have leaked, the boards are probably goners.

And let’s face it, I don’t see a Compass or anything super valuable like that there anyway.

Well if anyone gets it, I want to acquire the GRiD 1755/486SLC system, the GRiD 1755 manual,and a GRiD laptop bag (not the one with the yellow letters) that is in the best condition of the group and fits the 1755/486SLC system.

At this point I'd take it for $575. For shipping he wanted to just drop it off at UPS and let them handle it. You know they would charge, easily as much for packing, handling, and shipping that many systems.

Real kool stuff. If I were really interested, which I am not, I would ask him to power up one or two for a nice look-see.

At this point I'd take it for $575. For shipping he wanted to just drop it off at UPS and let them handle it. You know they would charge, easily as much for packing, handling, and shipping that many systems.

Yeah, I might consider it for that too, but only if I was local. Shipping would be way too expensive, and I damn sure don’t trust UPS to pack it all.

Back