• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The XT that thought it was a 486 AKA The XT486

southbird

Experienced Member
Pretty sure things like this have been done before, but I'm sharing my little throw-together. What the base is... I had a 5155 for a little while that was missing its keyboard. In an attempt to replace the PSU fan, I broke the yoke on the screen. Most of the machine's remains were cast away, but I kept its motherboard, put it in a new generic case, and began putting things in it that I didn't want to put in my 5150 that I felt would lose some of the "experience", e.g. VGA card, Intel Inboard 386 upgrade...

I've sort of made it my goal to see if I can step it all the way up to pseudo-Pentium using upgrades. Specifically I'm ultimately curious to see if a Kingston 486 Now! (or some other equivalent upgrade that came with a socketed 486) will work so I can get an Evergreen or Cyrix part that mimics a Pentium. But as yet I haven't had any luck obtaining one, but I did come across a TI 486 2-50. As a reference, the Inboard came with a socketed 386DX-16. So I figure with the clock doubling, I have something like a 486-33 (though obviously not really :))

Here's an overhead shot with the Inboard in place:
XT4861.jpg

Close up of the TI part
XT4862.jpg

MSD showing a 486, though funny things include "BIOS Category PC/XT" (and BIOS copyright 1981), "Cascaded IRQ2: No"...
XT4863.JPG

Obviously this will never be a REAL 486 in performance and I believe there's some compatibility issues here and there inherit with the Inboard, but it is noticeably snappier with the 486 upgrade. But this is just for S&G, just curious how far I can push the old motherboard. More than another CPU upgrade though, I REALLY hope I can find the elusive memory modules to the Inboard; 256KB extended is really limited what kind of fun I can have with it...

It should be possible to configure the inboard in such a way that you can have the 640k on the XT motherboard configured as conventional memory (which is slow obviously) and have the entire 1mb on the inboard setup as 32 bit extended memory.

It should be possible to configure the inboard in such a way that you can have the 640k on the XT motherboard configured as conventional memory (which is slow obviously) and have the entire 1mb on the inboard setup as 32 bit extended memory.

I thought if you had more than 256KB the board went into an "alarm mode" and refused to boot (which was the first thing that happened to me.) Is there a jumper or something?

I've only ever owned the 640k XT motherboard, and I was pretty sure I had it setup in the manner I described above. Though it has been over 10 years since I had the inboard installed, and I remember almost nothing about the details of configuration.

It sort of boggles my mind how attempting to fix the fan in the PSU broke the yoke on the monitor. :/
I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here.

It sort of boggles my mind how attempting to fix the fan in the PSU broke the yoke on the monitor. :/
I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here.

It's mostly dumbassery on my part. For whatever reason I was unable to find a screw that was keeping the PSU in place and while trying to maneuver it around to find it, I unwittingly pressed against the circuit board that's connected to the yoke and it snapped it. It's not one of my proudest moments and I certainly felt bad about it.

I'd be interested in the Landmark speed rating of this system - could you try it?

The results are kind of funny:

100_2254.JPG

So, you're not going to attempt to repair the 5155 video?

Shame, that.

You're about nine months too late to even suggest it. I did consider it back at the time, but the fact it was already missing the keyboard made it seem like it was going to be perpetually incomplete. Obviously that's not the right attitude around here, but call it a lack of awareness of just how much people can do around here.

I've always wanted to do what you've done here, but with an XT-286 as the base. An XT-286 would already be at 286 level, I'd get it up to 386, then 386 to 486, then 5x86 level. With zero-state wait RAM I'm really curious how that would perform, and as an XT-286 it would have 16-bit ISA. :D

Back