• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Things to do with a PDP8 No.1242, Decode Morse code.

DaveH

Experienced Member
http://youtu.be/V0LCFHeUZfo

Although I passed the Radio Amatur theory exam in 1965 I never actually got my licence ( ticket) as I did not manage the then obligatory, for the UK, 12 word per minuet Morse. Listening to the ham band for the first time in 45 years or so I found that my ears could read the "CQ" and "DE" but nothing else . Could I have another go at leaning morse ? and why not use the Lab 8 to try and decode and rather than use a modern receiver how about resurrecting my BC348 communications receiver at the same time, again unused for 45 years or so.
This is what started this project and alone the way has been added a 1960's Solatron valve oscilloscope, why do my projects always grow arms and legs ? :)

We have
"short" long wire antenna "tree to shed", 9:1 ballam, 1930's BC348 -R valve ( tube) receiver, 1970's Brookdeal AC amplifier ( that's the box with the meter ), bread boarded charge pump and comparator to demodulate the AF ( that's the spaghetti sitting on the Brookdeal ), 1960's Solatron valve dual beam scope ( powered by the variac as I'm still not ready to give it full line voltage), the Lab 8/E.

Iv ended up using most the Lab8's extra laboratory peripherals, I/P is one a bit on the DR8-EA digital I/O, the DK8-ES real time clock does the mark and space timing, and the VC8-E displays this on the Tek 611 .
The A/D converter is used with the 4 front panel pots to input dot/dash and space discriminator thresholds.

I cheated a little bit with the software by writing the source on the " console" PC using notepad and initially uploading this to the 8 and running Pal8 under OS8 to assemble, then debug using ODT. I had forgotten how slow this could be so after the 3rd or 4th iteration I changed to using PALBAR and just transferring the binary, MUCH faster.
The actual decode is still fairly error prone and there is a good deal of "driving" involved, the weakest bit is the CW demod, needs a very good signal and could do with some filtering, I tried a 4th order band pass but did not help much, am thinking about an integer FFT but not sure if the 8 will be fast enough even with the EAE, might try it with an Arduino first, and yes , the 348 does look a bit care worn but it is nearly 80 and has less added holes than some I have seen !
All in all been a lot of fun :)
Dave H

Hello DaveH,

That's terrific. Proper computing :)

I've done a bit of morse receiving using my modern PC with a Yaesu FRG-7700 and I found that tricky enough but to do it on a PDP is absolutely great.

Retrochallenge perhaps?

Cheers,

Andy.

Nice work Dave!

I'm hoping to accomplish a similar goal but taking a much easier path - I'm grabbing an audio stream off ITTY, an internet service providing a RTTY data stream, pumping it into an FSK demodulator (probably ST6 but not quite sure) and then using my PDP-8/M to decode Baudot to ASCII for terminal display. With luck, I'll have this ready for VCF X (VCF East) this April. If I were to try to do what you've done, it would be years in the doing!

I'd like to see your code if you're ready to share it.

73 de Jack
K9PDP

Great work, Dave! From Christmas tree lights to decoding Morse code, your Lab-8/E is getting a lot of great use!

Kyle
W4GNU

That is fantastic, well done hooking all that gear together, and having it all work! During the beginning of the video I was half expecting a close-up shot of a giant knife switch being thrown, accompanied by lightning and a cackling laugh and then a knob being turned up to 11. You've outdone your Xmas tree lights and that was pretty awesome in itself.

Steve

Beautiful use of the gear. I wish I had the time that you have... I will someday.

I assume S52AW is a beacon.

Thanks for posting this and I'll forward the video to my father (Lou - WA2GKH) who will enjoy it.

73, Lou - N2MIY

Thanks to all for the kind comments, glad you liked it, I will come back later with answers to specific questions as right now I am on a limited power budget, Im on my standby generator (Lister 1.3Kva) and have to juggle with heating/ lighting / or computing, We had an enthusiastic storm last night here in the North of Scotland ( gusted to 115Mph !) and that has taken out ALL three 33kv feeders to my village, its mostly all dark apart from my workshop :)
DaveH

The powers back, now its snowing, Woopee,
Jack, no problem with the code, just want to cleanup some of the worst "kludges" first.

Dave, I did wonder about that, not seen my City and Guilds in ages though and would still like to learn morse.

Steve, knife switches and sparks, OH YES, I like that idea. have got to do a version like that, one thing is that I can spend weeks in my workshop doing pointless thinks with obsolete technology and tell my wife its ok as a man on the internet told me to do it ! :)

Lou, not sure if its a beacon or not, S52AW seems to be a Ham in Slovenia, do beacons send CQ ?

Cheers all
DaveH

Back