• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ThinkPad 850 *latest* BIOS needed

EverythingIBM

Experienced Member
I would like to have a copy of the latest thinkpad 850 BIOS so I can update mine.

Thanks.

The copy of AIX that is installed on it is password protected, but I think I'll put Solaris on it so I won't bother asking for the nonexistent-on-the-entire-internet-which-nobody-here-has-anyways AIX 4. Might be worth extracting the contents just in case it has drivers installed that ALL of the irritating "collectors" (which is a nicer word for "hoarders") never bothered to publicly archive. And I hope all of the ThinkPad and IBM hoarders read that.

And yes I am irritated-- because if I didn't rescue this poor machine and its peripherals, 'just another' idiot hoarder would have snapped it: and it would never be seen again.

I do apologize if anyone is upset with my frustration, but I am slowly getting more irascible from the people who own this stuff and never bother to lift a finger to help others out when they easily could from their *ahem* "private collection" (I won't get into stating names because that's just rude). Ugh... collectors...

Solaris 2.5.1 will probably need drivers for the 850, solving that problem will have to come later.

Nice attitude. I don't doubt nobody wants to help you, geez.

FWIW The ThinkPad 850 uses a dog-standard AIX 4.1.4 or 4.1.5 install. It's not unique to this machine in any way, and it is way, way, WAY more common than the PowerPC version of Solaris.

Regardless of the tone, I understand your pain here. ;)

My 850 did not require any special install discs to do a fresh install of AIX 4.1.5 on my machine however the CD set did not belong to me. I have the 4.1.5 install CD for a Apple Network Server but I highly doubt that would work in this situation.

Back