• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

This is amazin'

It always amazes me with the price of things like this. 2-3 months back, a 5150 in perfect condition complete with boxes sold on eBay for £1100. A couple of weeks ago, an apparently brand new 5150 (also complete with boxes, etc) sold for less than £100. I've also seen decent machines sell for hardly anything, and awful machines sell for a lot. Crazy really.

I must be doing something wrong, as nobody bid on mine since I put it up three days ago.

Maybe it has to do with that...Lie, that the seller put at the top of the auction.

"This is the 2nd mainstream computer designed for home use!!!"

Yeah, if you count out the Apple /, //, //e, Atari 400, Atari 800, etc...

LOL, several things contribute to that price.
First off, there is a printer.
Second, it is in excellent shape.

No offense to anyone, but smoke stained stuff just looks like pure horse crap.
I won't bid $0.10 on smoke stained stuff, because you cannot unyellow it.
Also, he has proven it works well.
These all contribute to the total price.
I am puzzled however that the price is so high with a key missing off the model f keyboard.
Oh well, I would bid on clean stuff for a lot more than smoke stained stuff.

Wow, $360.00! In the case of the bidder with only 9 feedback, there might be an explanation, but the other bidder is a more experienced eBayer who should know better.

--T

Hmm I just sold an IBM PC for several magnitudes less. He mentions that it cost $9000 new. I keep hoping that eventually I can sell one of my 3 8580s for big bucks.
It sold new for $10,000 Bare. It was also an innovator in that it introduced the 386 and VGA but unfortunately also the Micro Channel Architecture, IBM's ill-advised attempt to reassert control over DOS personal computers. The clone manufacturers did an end run around IBM by forming a consortium which presented their own version of personal computers and IBM lost it forever. But it was a very significant computer.

Unfortunately because of it's weight it will likely never become a big contendor in the collector market. But it is still my favorite IBM.

Lawrence

alexkerhead said:
9 feedbacks isn't terribly low, we all started with 0.
I have user accounts on both eBay and Tradera, but haven't participated in a single auction yet. It means my feedback is a big zero, but it doesn't make me a total n00b if I one day should decide to bid on something (although the bidder may require 0-feedbackers to contact them before bidding).

Back