• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tillamook on pre-SuperSocket7 systems

The OC modders used two other things that I'm aware of--a strand from a ribbon cable conductor (~~ 34 AWG?) and some of the goo from a windshield defroster repair kit (also conductive0. Sometimes you can find the latter at dollar stores for cheap. Otherwise, the pen is probably the best idea.

Pen sounds safer and would be a convenient and small thing to keep in my toolbox - worth the wait. :)

Thanks for bringing it up, btw.

This is what I mean
dscf4629cu2w.jpg
[/url]

Interesting!

Think it may work with the standard MMX chips as well?
I now also got a Tillamook 266, but it's a standard PPGA version, not the green plastic version. Haven't even tested it yet lol.

Bout to do this mod with my new CircuitWriter pen. :D

Will post back with how it goes, ofc.

Edit:

First application was a tad too wide, so I used a small screwdriver to scrap the excess off and then I reapplied some to make sure it looked thick enough in the proper area.

I doubt it actually needs the 10 minutes to dry, but I'll give it to it anyway.

Oh and as you can see - my chip has no resistors there, which is why I had a hard time finding it next to the resistor before - lol - I had to just count pinholes.

Edit 2: It did absolutely bloody nothing. Still came up 300Mhz and worked as before...?????

I'm going to try different multipliers, maybe setting it to two will trigger 4..?

Last edited:
these may help (out of the Pentium MMX spec sheet)

the pins that had been bridge are BF0 & NC (not connected) The picture of the pins is upside down to match the Pentium orientation

as you can see from the table, the BF0 & BF1 pins set what the chip will try to boot at.

p1_pinout_dn.jpg
Bus_core_ratio.jpg

Attachments

• p1_pinout.jpg
    p1_pinout.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
After doing some math, I find that only the bottom of that chart provides an improvement, and not a 4x multiplier but a 3.5x (2 to 7 = 1 to 3.5.. 1*100=100, 3.5*100=350Mhz).

I am confused, however, as to why the mod worked for diodenmann.

I'm an electronics noob, as I've said, so.. from what I see, BF0 and BF1 need to be high, so where do I pull the voltage from, and what voltage do I use? Do I just bridge BF0 and BF1? *confused*

Is it possible that it's because I'm using Super Socket 7 instead of normal Socket 7?

Edit: I did some research on the datasheet for MMX too, and found that BF0 is internally pulled down while BF1 is internally pulled up, this means (if I'm not being an idiot) that bridging them should work.

Last edited:
I had that thought. I crossed BF0 and BF1 and am about to test that. If this still results the same I'm going to try OCing by raising the FSB. This is a very nice SS7 board and supports up to 124Mhz FSB (372Mhz). Could get to 500Mhz if it works at 4x124, so let's hope that this 4x mod try works..

Edit: Still posted at 300Mhz. I'm thinking that this wasn't a 266Mhz chip to begin with, and that no matter what I do it's locked at the multiplier to make it 266Mhz in the first place, so I can't get higher by changing multipliers.

Bottom of package is where the TCP package is mounted. It says it's a
TT266 SL2N5
i(m)(c)'92'95

Edit 2:

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL2N5.html

Gonna try raising the bus.

Edit 3:

While going to go raise the bus, I discovered that I'm an idiot. The bus was currently set to 75Mhz this entire time, meaning my chip is already set up to do 4x out of the box and everything I tried was redundant.

Discovering this, I tried 100Mhz and it failed to post (no video). Discouraged but not beaten, I tried 83.3Mhz and it also refused to post with no video..

New board? Ideas?

Last edited:
New board? Ideas?

always worth a try. I have boards that wont even look at mobile chips & others happily run them.

and as for embedded pentiums thats another story as most boards think they are 486s (they have a speed step approach and boot at only 1X bus speed. They need special bios to modify the multiplier on the fly, depending on demand.)

Unfortunately it seems I have no other boards that will go above 75Mhz. Apparently I've traded/sold away all of my SS7 boards, or never had any to begin with besides this one.

It's a (FIC iirc) VA-503+ for the future search engine ppl, btw.

Board setting doesn't matter. I pushed my Tillamook to 460 MHz (4x115 on Gigabyte GA-5AA).
I don't know how to realize a 4.5x multiplier on these CPUs. But there must be a way, because chinese 300 MHz variants do exist...

Looks like the Chinese 300Mhz is just 75x4 - unbeknownst to me that's what I've been running, with slightly OC'd PCI, 37.5Mhz. It seems my chip is already set up for x4 multiplier and I didn't know, so I thought I was running at x3 with 100Mhz bus due to that assumption. Ironically it would have been faster for me to get an unmodified CPU at 100x3 than 75x4, and more stable due to PCI divider too.

I need to find another board, it seems, to get any higher than 300Mhz. It won't post past 75Mhz.... :/

I think I'll get a GA-5AA and see if I can replicate or beat your result. Since I'm using a mobile chip, which runs natively at 266Mhz w/ 1.8v, it should be able to go much higher with the desktop voltages.

Looks like this board supports a hell of a lot of FSB settings too - all the way up to 140Mhz.. let's imagine for a second that it works at that speed... 140*4=560Mhz Pentium I... wow.

Last edited:
seemly the best board around is FICs with a VIA MPV4 chipset, but they are rare as hen's teeth.
I do have some MPV3 chipset boards (not much different) but it seems the bios for FIC boards supports mobiles more than other branded boards.

limited to 83FSB, but the board I prefer to use is my aBit AX5 board, cos I can change the settings in bios rather than playing with jumpers

I must admit, I hate the damn jumpers in this board - like 30 of them to reconfigure everything.

That why most of my test boards for my CPU collection are mainly aBit. From socket 7 up I have tested 553 out of my 1636 chips and last thing I want to do is play with jumpers especially there in some hard to get place :lol:

so if you want to try bridging pins to change the multiplier you have a few 2.8V 233MHz desktop/embedded pentums to choose from (SL293, SL2BM, SL27S)
In 1.9V mobile PPGA there is the 233MHz SL2Z3 (they come up in CPU-World forum for about $16)
Unlikely to work without a special board is the 1.9V embedded PPGA 266MHz SL2Z4 (the fastest PGA pentium Intel made)

what I would like to get embedded 266MHz BGA pentium on a PGA adaptor :)

Bleh, my last post got lost -_-

"Unlikely to work without a special board is the 1.9V embedded PPGA 266MHz SL2Z4 (the fastest PGA pentium Intel made)"
You happen to know if these will work in a super 7 board that can supply the low voltage? Or is there another problem with this particular cpu?

Question#2: Will the pin mod posted earlier work for desktop mmx cpu's?

Bleh, my last post got lost -_-

"Unlikely to work without a special board is the 1.9V embedded PPGA 266MHz SL2Z4 (the fastest PGA pentium Intel made)"
You happen to know if these will work in a super 7 board that can supply the low voltage? Or is there another problem with this particular cpu?

Question#2: Will the pin mod posted earlier work for desktop mmx cpu's?

I have a bunch of these CPUs and they seem to work just fine on a few regular socket 7 boards I tried them on, they are even correctly recognized by the BIOSes.
Unfortunately I never got the CPUs to work on my MVP3 Super Socket 7 boards. :-/

I

These low-voltage embedded and mobile CPUs will function with higher voltages provided you put cooling on them, if I'm not mistaken. I use the default voltage with my 266Mhz Tillamook that I've got OC'd to 300Mhz atm.

Given that, I'd imagine that if your board can supply the correct voltage of course it should work.

Ooo it works on overdrives? I thought my Socket 5 board had hit a wall at 100Mhz, but then discovered overdrives for it (don't have one yet) that can go up to 200Mhz, but with an unlocked multi to 4x I could get 266Mhz out of it - brilliant. Of course there's also the K6 overdrives and such but I'm a bigger fan of pre-microOP CPUs.

Back