• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TMC850 Maximum Drive Size

GrizzlyAdams

I've got a TMC850 and BIOS version 8.5 in my XT. Anyone know what the maximum size drive I can safely access is? I've been having issues with a 4GB drive even when using a couple of 128MB partitions (never anything past 512MB).

I've got a TMC850 and BIOS version 8.5 in my XT. Anyone know what the maximum size drive I can safely access is? I've been having issues with a 4GB drive even when using a couple of 128MB partitions (never anything past 512MB).

Wait, you have BIOS version 8.5 working in an XT? I thought 8.4 was the last one, and I remember it required a 286 CPU.

Various postings around the web seem to suggest that 2GB is the limit. However, make sure that you've done your SCSI homework; i.e. make sure that your drive is terminated correctly. There's lots of voodoo in SCSI that can trip you up if you're not careful.

Wait, you have BIOS version 8.5 working in an XT? I thought 8.4 was the last one, and I remember it required a 286 CPU.

PCXTBIOS from PhatCode comes bundled with a TMC850 v8.5 ROM that works on XT (at least when used with derivatives of that System BIOS).

I also found out that writing to the disk when the CPU is at 8MHz causes a GPF, but at 4.77 all is good. I might make a patch to the TMC850 ROM that turns the clock speed down when entering, and restores it after exiting the interrupt handler.

After getting tired of re-imaging my 4GB drive over and over again, I used SeaTools enterprise to set the capacity limit to 999 cyl, 64 heads, 32 sectors. Since doing that I've not seen anymore corruption.

grizzlyxt.jpg

Back