• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba flash codes

tblake05

Experienced Member
Hello again.

I've got an old Toshiba Satellite t1920cs laptop and it wont boot. Gives me a flash code. Is anyone able to decipher it for me or point me to documentation? The unit flashes the power LED 2 times short, 1 time long, and 1 time short. Then repeats this over and over. Can't seem to find anything solid on Toshiba flash codes on the web, and there's no documentation left on this old laptop. Thanks!

The T1920 is between the T1900 and T1950. Both the T1900 maintenance manual and T1950 maintenance manual (at [here]) include, "If the DC IN indicator is flashing orange, the AC adapter’s voltage supply is abnormal or the power supply is not functioning properly, go to Check 1." It sounds reasonable to assume that the T1920 maintenance manual would include the same.

Someone recently posted about the symptom of a flashing power LED (although not orange) on a Toshiba notebook, and the cause was use of an incorrect power supply.

Wow, hey, thanks for the link! Great!

I did get it to boot!! Had to hotwire the battery to a 12v source and it loaded right into DOS and Win 3.1 no issues. So as the laptop was running off its own "battery", I plugged it into the AC cord and it immediately shut off flashing the orange battery light rapidly. Next I Measured the voltage output of the original power supply and its outputing exactly 15.08V. The T1910cs calls for 15V so I somehow doubt I have a power supply issue unless voltage drops off as current increases.

I Did some research on the web and found two old articles that describe the problem I'm having as a bad capacitor on the power board. I've got one on order through Mouser and once replaced I'll let you guys know how I turn out. Thanks for the info!!

Here's the Links to the faulty capacitor articles in case anyone needs them in the future.

http://vobarian.com/toshibaProblem.html

http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/bredmond/tosh486fix/

Well, capacitor replacement was a success! Now the laptop Boots perfectly! The old 6.3v 1000uf capacitor as shown in the links above on my unit was bulging. Replaced with a 16v 1000uf compliments mouser.com. Bought 2, just in case I messed one up. Shipping costed more than the capacitors. Anyhow, Barely got it to fit, but it did! Just before I went and buttoned it all back up, gave it a test run. All good except for a floppy drive issue now which I will start a new thread...

Here's a few pictures. You can see the laptop all disassembled in the first pic. This one it not an easy machine to work on. Took me a while to figure it all out. Screws in random places, and random lengths, sizes... (nevermind the coors light). Next two pics show the bad capacitor and the new one installed, and last one is in Windows 3.1!

IMG_2444.jpgIMG_2445.jpgIMG_2446.jpgIMG_2447.jpg

By golly, first post here and am I glad I found this forum!

I have an old 1960CS as well, and it has the same problem as described (solid green LED when AC adapter is plugged in, once power button is pressed, LED flashes a few times, then pauses, then repeats).

I know this is a thread from 4 years ago, but was wondering if either tblake05 or Twospruces have any other more concrete information (6.3V 1000 uF cap, any particular dimensions/brand/ESR specs that I should watch out for?)

I haven't taken apart the laptop yet, but was thinking of doing it before the new year (not happening at this rate!)

By golly, first post here and am I glad I found this forum!
Welcome to these forums.

I have an old 1960CS as well, and it has the same problem as described (solid green LED when AC adapter is plugged in, once power button is pressed, LED flashes a few times, then pauses, then repeats).
I know this is a thread from 4 years ago, but was wondering if either tblake05 or Twospruces have any other more concrete information (6.3V 1000 uF cap, any particular dimensions/brand/ESR specs that I should watch out for?)
Some comments at [here]. As for dimensions, probably not good to assume that all {6.3V 1000uF} used across the 1900 series are of the same dimensions, e.g. maybe some were shorter and fatter. Therefore, I suggest that you dismantle your 1960CS to see what spatial limitations/restrictions you will need to work with for the replacement.

Welcome to these forums.

Some comments at [here]. As for dimensions, probably not good to assume that all {6.3V 1000uF} used across the 1900 series are of the same dimensions, e.g. maybe some were shorter and fatter. Therefore, I suggest that you dismantle your 1960CS to see what spatial limitations/restrictions you will need to work with for the replacement.
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I gave another look at the link you provided (also provided originally by tblake05 in post 3); I also managed to get an archival copy of the (now defunct) electronics.dit.ie website from the "Way Back Machine" which provided some insight as well.

I guess I will have to try to disassemble this beast - the service manual does provide some hints, but I was wondering if anyone might have had a more 'hands on' guide

I hope it works out that the repair goes well. I acquired a T1900C and attempted a fix... but after many rounds of replacing parts eventually I damaged the board beyond reasonable efforts to take further. Many bad caps..extremely frustrating especially with no schematic.

I picked up a T1900 real cheap and it has a similar/same issue - Green DC-in LED seems OK but when hitting the power switch, it briefly attempts to power on but then dies again. Hopefully it's just caps. If I take the plunge and crack the machine open, I'll take pics and update my github with info for posterity.

Thanks for this post. I got a T1910CS a couple of days ago which had the same power issue. Changing the capacitor in the pictures fixed my problem (attached a picture of my less professional soldering job).

Now to finding the right belt for fixing the floppy drive.

Attachments

• 20220610_210329.jpg
    20220610_210329.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
Just saw this. After all these years. Nice to see others resurrecting their machines as well.

Funny, but I also had to replace my floppy belt. I just got an assortment pack and found one “close enough”.

My machine is still going strong- though I wish I’d have replaced the internal batteries (yes there are two in there) when I had it apart.

Hallo everyone!
Recently, I got Toshiba T1950CT with similar problem - after connecting AC-adaptor DC-in LED comes green. After pressing Power button, DC-in LED flashing "long, short, long, short". After that, the laptop did not respond to subsequent clicks. As far as I understand, this flash code means "C5V voltage is less than 4.50V when computer is starting". Then, I replaced 6.3V 1000 uF cap to 10v 1000 uF cap. Laptop started responding to subsequent power button presses, but continued to give the same error code. I was angry, and did not come up with anything better than replace all capacitors on the mainboard with new ones :)
And... nothing. Problem still exists. Has anyone encountered such problem? I will be grateful for any hint or help.

I am late to the party, but in case you see this long-short-long-short sequence, check the three capacitors at the edge of the lower board, next to TL1451 chip. They had some burn marks on it which suggested their ESR went through the roof :) Replacing them fixed the problem.
Check the "Leaky little cap" picture on Vogons: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=98536 - the three problematic ones are already removed, just above the TL1451. The marking is probably C526/C527/C528.

Back