• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Transfer files from a REAL PDP8E and SIMh

While searching around for some hints why I don't get K12MIT.SV to send/receive files to and from simh-pdp8, I noticed, that google lists this thread. So I summarise the following.

1.) Send/receive files between host and OS/8 running on real pdp8:

- use of K12MIT.SV
- start Kermit on the host, connect to pdp8 serial Interface on Address 03/04. Start OS/8 and run K12MIT.
- type SEND FILE.TX and it will be received on the hostside.
- type RECEIVE, ^AC to change to Kermit and type "send FILE.TX", file will be send

This works with ASCII files. I did not have to set "robust" or "set streaming off" in Kermit.

2.)Send/receive files between host and OS/8 running in simh:

I did not get it running with K12MIT.SV. I tried a lot without success. But there is an other binary named K12DJG.SV. This version of kermit does not use the command console on address 03/04. It uses the addresses 40/41. This means there need to be a connection to this addresses. In simh pdp8 this can be configured by:

att ttix 4000
set ttox0 8b

This sets up a connection listening on port 4000 on your host. Now you have to connect a kermit to this port. After starting simh you have the console in your shell and need a second shell for Kermit. Oben a second shell and start Kermit. In Kermit set the following:

set streaming off
robust
telnet /nowait localhost:4000
^AC

Now you have a second channel opend to the simh-pdp8 that is only used for the filetransfer. You will not see any OS/8 stuff here. The OS/8 console is still in the first shell.
Start ".R K12DJG" in OS/8 and send/receive should work as usually.

One thing I had to set also in simh, is the throttle to 333k or 1% (set throttle 333k). There seems to be a timing problem without throttling.

With both tools it is possible to transfer ascii files between the host and real or simh pdp8 in a regular way. I think at the end this is the answer of the beginning question of this thread.
Together with the encodin/decoding tools with K12MIT, you are able to transfer every type, even binary. Many thanks to Charles Lasner who describes this here:
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftp/d/k12mit.not

Have fun
Volker

If someone gets K12MIT to run the same way with simh like it does with the real pdp8 hardware, please drop me a notice....

You might want to check out my KERMIT8 as well, which should be less speed dependant. However, it have a little more requirements on the PDP-8 hardware. But with simh this should not be a problem.

Back