• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

um, hello...

Terry Yager said:
I'm not sure how well your board plays with others, but the AST boards I have can be used together and/or (usually) with other companies' boards. They have switches that are set to determine the base address of each board so there are no conflicts.

--T

I think I'd like to buy or trade for a couple of those AST boards you have.

I didn't find the full docs, but I have a chart of all the switch settings that were d/l from the Net, so that should help. Even with documentation, getting them set up is still something of a black art (don't forget to utter the proper incantations over them).

--T

Terry Yager said:
I didn't find the full docs, but I have a chart of all the switch settings that were d/l from the Net, so that should help. Even with documentation, getting them set up is still something of a black art (don't forget to utter the proper incantations over them).

--T

proper incantations? is that why I had so much trouble with getting SCSI going on my IIgs? :p

Anyway, I just let me know how to pay and what shipping to 98042.

Oh... and I have a new problem, but I'm starting a new topic for that so it can get more exposure.

Well, I got the cards.... I'm not too sure about how I'm supposed to set them up though....I pulled the previous RAM card out and put them in, but I can't get the computer to recognize them and I guess I really don't know what I'm doing.

The computer sees 640k onboard ram, 0k extended and complaines about an invalid configuration and tells me to boot to the setup disk. All I really get at this point is that it's a hardware issue.

The last time I used those cards, they were in a '286 with 1Mb RAM on the mainboard, so they should still be set up for that configuration, cause I didn't change any switches or anything. They should appear at the 1Mb boundry, and go up to 5Mb. Do you know for sure how much base mem your machine has in it? If it's only 640K, then you'll need to re-configure both cards to come in at that address. If your machine doesn't have any memory at all, you'll need to set the low-addressed one to begin at 0K. (IIRC, the Wyse machines were backplane-based, with the CPU, mem, etc. on daughter boards). There is a switch setting on the AST boards to determine how much of it is conventional memory, expanded, or extended. You'll probably not want any expanded memory, as your operating system should have a memory manager that will use extended memory to emulate expanded if it needs to. If you study the switch charts long enough, they should begin to make sense (a little knowledge of hexidecimal doesn't hurt either).

--T

Oh, I just realized what you said...
If it's asking for a setup disk, it's because your machine's CMOS has to be told how much memory is in it. Do you have the Wyse Setup disk? If you can't come up with a copy, then mebbe a generic version will do. You can find them numerous places on daNet.

--T

I have setup disks for it. My dad kept everything to it.. anyway when the computer is first turned on, it counts up on the mainboard RAM and then it counts up on the extended RAM....and the setup disks don't appear to do anything other than tell me how much RAM the computer is seeing...(it showed the 1MB the computer had in extended RAM when I had the other RAM card in)...

I guess I must need to set the base IO addresses appropriatly for it to work with the onboard RAM.... but I don't really know just what to set them to.... so what are each of the two cards supposed to be set to out of the following?:

0208h
0218h
0258h
0268h
02A8h
02B8h
02E8h

I would logcally try to set them at these first:

0268h
02B8h

I haven't seen to many of those setups and cards...but the very few i did see were set up this way if memory serves me right :).

MystikShadows said:
I would logcally try to set them at these first:

0268h
02B8h

I haven't seen to many of those setups and cards...but the very few i did see were set up this way if memory serves me right :).

Well, I tried that and I'm still stuck at zero.

The cards were set to extended...

When I set one card to conventional and leave the other on extended I get:

00640k Base, 01408k Extended and the invalid config error.

When I set both cards over to conventional I get the same...

When I set the first card back to extended and change the second one to conventional I get:

00640k Base, 0k extended
Memory data line failure at 100000-10FFFF
And I think I get a invalid config error again.

I've also noticed that on the printout that SW1/10 is facotry set and not to be changed... and that on the cards, one is set to off while the other card has this set to on... I don't suppose it's possible this got bumped to the wrong position?

Well, it looks like you are making some progress. It's seeing the first card completely (640 base + 1408=2048 (2Mb)). The switch 1/10 must have been accidently changed, I didn't intentionally change anything. That may be why it is not being seen. Now that you have the first card figgered out, all you should have to do is adjust the second card's base address downward by 384Kb. The second card should be entirely set to extended.

--T

Well, i pulled the second card and went into the setup disk and saved the config and now it doesn't give the invalid config error....

Afterwhich I put the second card back in(with computer off of cource) and I set it to extended and put the sw1/10 to match that of the first card and tried all possible base settings but I can't figure out why it can't see the second card at all.

Terry Yager said:
Mebbe try this: Set the second card up the same as the other card and install it to make sure it is working properly.

--T

And the results are in:

00640k Base Memory, 00000k Extended
Memory write/read failure at 100000-10FFFF
Decreasing available memory
Invalid Configuration information - Please run Setup program

Strike the F1 Key to Continue

I dunno, bad chip? Either that or the card is still addressed too high. Either way, the result would be the same, a gap in your memory. Looks to me like you need to move the address down by 640K to make up for the base memory.

--T

I set it so the second card's settings matched the first cards, and took out the first card...and that's what got me the error.. when I took out the second card and put in the first card with the same settings it works....

Back