• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

UNIX for Classic

I'm running Xenix on my Tandy 6000's. If you have a 6000 you can make your own install.

I'm running SCO Unix on a couple of boxes. I wouldn't copy that for anyone.

I'm running a couple of different versions of Solaris. If you have the hardware you can usually find the software.

I've got Coherent, but it is not currently running. This is available for download.

I've got Microport Xenix somewhere but it is not running. Not even sure the disks still work.

I have A/UX but I haven't installed it anywhere.

Last edited:
As far as vintage systems go, I have A/UX on my Macintosh IIfx, and I'm going to install it on my SE/30 whenever I get around to it.

Semi Vintage/Semi Unix Would be my Compaq Presario 1210 dual booting Windows 98 and Damn Small Linux 4.

Non-Vintage I have a P-III with Solaris 10.

Fifth, sixth and seventh edition UNIX and 2.11BSD on PDP-11, tried NetBSD on a MicroVAX too. Is there a particular machine you're hoping to run some kind of UNIX on?

The only UNIX I use is Solaris 8 on my Sparc Ultra 5 and A/UX 3.11 on my Apple Workgroup Server 95.

FreeBSD on my 486.

I'd love a HP-UX box though (although it doesn't seem the most flawless UNIX I heard)

A 286? Xenix will do.

Don't know about the exact RAM requirements, but 2.5 mb should be more than enough to run it, maybe with a few terminals attached too.

I run SCO UNIX (OpenServer 5.0.7, which is System V Release 3.2 based) on a Pentium I @ 166 MHz with 96 MB of RAM. It's vintage to me, but has full TCP/IP (SSHd, FTPd, Telnetd, NFSd, apache, etc.) and the real Bourne Shell. And I have it with the Development Set with the native C compiler. woot! It's all "payware", but there are ways around that if you look...

I used to run Xenix for 386, but I couldn't find the Development Set diskettes nor the TCP/IP Supplement for it, so I got bored of it quite soon and no longer run it.

I used to have a 286 machine with 2 MB of RAM, but I recycled it years ago (sometimes I regret it, though).

I have an IBM XT with 640 KB of RAM and 20 MB HDD, and I have the project to run PC/IX in it someday ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC/IX ).

Any suggestions on what I can get to run on my equipment? 286 2.5 RAM

Various flavors of Xenix, Intel, IBM, Microsoft, SCO.
Microport Unix
Interactive Unix
Minix
QNX
Coherent

They all had 286 versions.

I personally run SCO Xenix as it has biggest software base. Microsoft Word, Multiplan, Basic, FoxPro, Lyrix, Word Perfect.

xnx1.png

286_Xenix.jpg

I personally run SCO Xenix as it has biggest software base. Microsoft Word, Multiplan, Basic, FoxPro, Lyrix, Word Perfect.

Beautiful pictures!

Do you happen to have, per chance, the TCP/IP supplement for Xenix 386 ? Could I login into your FTP? ;-)

I'd love a HP-UX box though (although it doesn't seem the most flawless UNIX I heard)

HP-UX up to 9.X is an odd mix of Berkekey and AT&T. Pretty much mostly AT&T with Berkeley filesystem and utilities. Networking is AT&T at core, with Berkeley overlaid on it (well done, though.)

I wouldn't care to use versions before 7.0, I like 9.x a lot. 10.x and later are much more standard--for general use I prefer 10.x over 11.
The Berkeley/AT&T mix means it's idiosyncratic in how it's laid out, but once you get used to it it's a good solid Unix that provides a lot of features in administration and disk management that are well ahead of their time compared to, say, Sun, Digital, and IBM. It does a good job of getting the best of each.

If you use an HP9000/400 series box, you can run HP-UX (up to version 9.10) _and_ Apollo/Domain!

Back