• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

UNIX freak

digi

Yep, I'll admit it--I'm a big UNIX fan, although I find any old computer systems fascinating. I've run some form of Linux for the past 5 years, I do my Computer Science programming on Sun workstations, and I love to read about old computer systems. What I'd *really* love would be to get an old PDP-11 and run UNIX on it, but since I'm currently in college I have neither the money, the time, nor the space to do that.
Although I started out on PCs, for some strange reason I really like messing around with other architectures like SPARC and MIPS. I've got a pair of SPARC machines running right next to me right now, and I'll probably be getting an SGI Indigo 2 R-10000 next year.
I'd like to build some kind of external control panel for my main PC at some time, something that kind of resembles a PDP or Altair front panel that I can fiddle around with; I find the lack of blinky lights and big toggle switches on modern computers disgusting :)
Well, that's it--if you've got any suggestions or pointers about building that front panel, PM me or reply here please.

The only thing I remember about running Unix on a PDP-11 was waiting a long time for compiles. :)

(This was back in 1990 & 1991.)

Back