• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Unknown 68k Board

appleIImidi

Experienced Member
Other than finding one for sale on eBay for a whopping 125 dollars, I can't find any info on this board. I think I paid like 10 bucks for it years back, mainly for the memory chips that I thought I may need at some point. I attached the ROM files as a zip, because apparently you can't upload files without extensions on this forum, and zip is the only compressed file allowed for some reason. It did cut the 32k worth of files almost in half though, should download quickly, haha. I couldn't find anything useful in them.IMG_20230316_201020.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230316_195707.jpg
    IMG_20230316_195707.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • igs.zip
    17.4 KB · Views: 6
Given IGS was popular in the arcade scene, my guess is some sort of Arcade PCB.
Very true, IGS was huge in China and Taiwain etc.

MAME has a tool to identify if a ROM you dumped belongs to an existing game, you can try it, or when I get a moment I will have a closer look.

Edit: looking at the connectors I would wager its an add on board, since it doesn't have a JAMMA edge connector or JVS connections visible typical of a main PCB. Just an educated guess.

Last edited:
I kinda wondered about something arcade-y with the combination of 68k and Z80, but I don't see anything that seems plausible as a sound source, the display controller is just a 6845, and there's a floppy controller and UARTs on it. Gotta be some kind of workstation board.

It is the board for an IBM 3812 laser printer
You can see "IBM3812" in the first 16 bytes of the merged eproms

Oh wow good find Al, got sidetracked and didnt throw the dumps into a hex editor yet. 👍

Wonder why IBM contracted IGS to create pcbs instead of doing it in house.

Got some neat parts worth scavenging, provided you opt for local pickup at a reduced "make offer" price. Given the age of the thing, it's unlikely to find real-world application. 68Ks weren't uncommon in 1980s laser printers, since I believe that postscript was originally written for that platform. Witness Apple's LaserWriter.

I was going to ask why a printer would have a floppy controller chip on it but, low and behold, said printer apparently actually had a 1.2mb floppy drive in it according to these specs.

The presence of a 6845 is also “interesting”, but considering how laser printers work it may well be perfectly logical to use a CRTC to control the scanning.

combination of 68k and Z80

The Zilog part with the Z80-ish looking number is actually an SCC UART.

Thanks guys. I won't feel bad removing most of the chips and scrapping the board now.

I have no nostalgia for old laser printers. I'm a dot matrix kind of guy.

I've never tried merging ROMs before, I'll have to look into that.

Got some neat parts worth scavenging, provided you opt for local pickup at a reduced "make offer" price. Given the age of the thing, it's unlikely to find real-world application. 68Ks weren't uncommon in 1980s laser printers, since I believe that postscript was originally written for that platform. Witness Apple's LaserWriter.
It was! I remember my old QMS laser printer, made in 87? Basically same as an early apple Laser printer (seriously same company designed it i believe), and was postscript and PC compatible. But it was sold BEFORE the Apple version. It was 68k based, 1mb ram (Eventually did upgrade it to 2mb). If I recall correctly, were the first as well to use/create Postscript, think with Apple? I had the QMS 300dpi before the Apple one came out and it had postscript. Man the lights would dim when that printed! lol

I used that printer well into the 90s (think 96/97?) creating vector art ( fonts / diagrams / lineart), can still smell the ink and ozone thinking about it. Then I got a nice Lexmark 1200dpi, then Xerox Phazer Color printer...

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I won't feel bad removing most of the chips and scrapping the board now.

I have no nostalgia for old laser printers. I'm a dot matrix kind of guy.

I've never tried merging ROMs before, I'll have to look into that.
If they're interleaved I have used a python script before, but I'm sure there are infinite ways to do this.

Coincidentally it was an IGS game I did this on.

Back