• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Using digital memo recorders as storage.

Primo007

I've recently been playing with a little Timex Sinclair 1000 I found, and of course I've come to want to store a few of my programs, and while I don't have any expendable cassettes, I did dig this up and was curious if anyone had experience using these as a tape replacement. It has 3.5mm in and out on the top, and seems to largely replicate earlier tape based memo recorders, but I know these computers can be finicky even with real tapes.

Attachments

• 20231217_000214.jpg
    20231217_000214.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Worth a try. I expect the old tape versions wouldn't work as they are optimised for speech. I see the newer ones have high quality modes and I expect this is somewhere in-between.

Well, I've tried it and it seems to write fine. A little calculator program I've written up records for 30 seconds give or take. The smaller earlier version I'm trying to load here has a 26 second recording time. I hit play, ran the load program, and waited, but the lines never change and the program never loads. I got the same screen when I loaded without it plugged in as I when I was playing off the recorder, so maybe there's something wrong with the computer itself?

First thing to be aware of is that on these machines is that the cassette connection terminals are marked with where they go to on the recorder, so MIC on the computer is the output to tape and EAR on the computer is the input from tape. Actually both signals eventually go to / from the same pin on the ULA IC, but through a different combination of components.

I did some similar experiments with a small MP3 player, the sort of thing which runs on one AAA cell - Actually it was a Creative Zen Nano. Like most such devices the output was stereo and the first thing you shouldn't do with a stereo-output device is connect the left and right outputs together, so normally you'd only use one output or the other, plus GND, for the signal going out to the Timex / Sinclair EAR input.

In the case of the MP3 player above I found by experimentation that the input to the ZX81 (as was in my case) needed to be at least 0.7V peak to peak and one output channel alone could not generate a signal that big, so the first thing to do is to measure the maximum audio level out from your voice recorder if you have an oscilloscope or access to one. (I'm assuming your recorder is mono, with a mono output).

If you want to check out the Timex independently try using a laptop as the 'recorder' as they usually have Mic in / Audio out on one or two 3.5mm sockets and most come with a simple audio recorder 'App' such as Windows Soundrecorder, or you can use something like 'Audacity'. Again with the laptop, use only one of the two stereo output channels for output to the Timex and do not short the stereo outputs together.

The volume level needs to be quite high for the signal to be detected. I have a cassette deck for my Spectrum and have to turn the volume up to 8 (of 10) before the Spectrum will even start recognising it.

Back