• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Variations in the TRS-80 Model1 case (26-1006 part number)

G7VFY

Variations in the TRS-80 Model1 case (26-1006 part number)

I have seen two TRS-80 model 1's, and one case appears to be about an inch wider, and the area behind the keyboard and the back ports seems to be different? the keyboard is slightly higher and slopes behind at a shallower angle.

Stephen G7VFY

I don't remember a difference in the actual case of the Model 1 for USA models. I do know that
most early Model 1's had ROM ver 1.1 and later models had ROM Ver 1.3. I upgraded my Model 1
to Ver 1.3 using EPROMS and that got rid of cassette load problems as well as key bounce. There
was another problem that was fixed, but I can't remember what it was at this time.

Larry

So far as I’m aware the Model I came in one and only one case, other than a couple extremely rare variants shipped under different names in Japan. If you have pictures of these “different” model I’s please share them.

There is a subtle visual difference between early and very late Model Is relating to the keyboard; very late units used an Alps keyboard that put the key tops at a different level and from the side had a “sculpted” profile instead of the stair-step of the original board, but the dimensions of the case and keyboard cutout are identical.

The Model I for the Japan market with the Kana keyboard had the same case but the keyboard cutout was different to allow for the extra keys.

The Model I for the Japan market with the Kana keyboard had the same case but the keyboard cutout was different to allow for the extra keys.

I didn't even realize there was a Kana keyboard version, but lo and behold it is mentioned in the service manual for the Japanese model I. That said, it looks like according to the manual it only has *one* extra key (66 keys instead of 65), and if the diagram of the keyboard PCB is to be believed the case cutout would be the same because it fits in that extra key by making the ENTER key smaller.

The weird Japanese variation I was thinking of was the TEAC PS-80, which was a re-labeled Model I with a completely different and oddball expansion unit with built-in tape drives. But even that looks like it uses the same plastics as the original Model I for the unit itself, just in different colors?

On Pascal's website are photos of the Kana keyboard:
https://prof-80.fr/index.php/trs-80-modele-1-clavier-japonais-qwerty
For comparison a 'western style' keyboard (Made in Japan):
https://prof-80.fr/index.php/trs-80-modele-1-made-in-japan

As one can see the Kana keyboard has 66 keys (+1). The ENTER key is half the size. This gives space for an additional key. The case and the bezel are the same according to the service manual.
If use western style keyboard, IC Z37 would not be installed.
Japanese keyboard version would be installed a chip to store kana character.

屏幕截图 2023-08-23 233927.png

Also with the Kana keyboard connector CN2 is used along with CN1 to connect to the keybard which has the ROMs installed there instead of on the main board.IMG_0720.jpegIMG_0721.jpeg

Back