• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vga 8-bit

gerrydoire

Veteran Member
I recently bought a new VGA card for my IBM 5150.

I've bought alot of 8-bit cards over the years, and this one seems to be the top of the heap.

Video Seven VEGA VGA 8-Bit ISA Video Card -- 512KB DRAM

vga1.jpg

vga2.jpg

Anyone know of a better VGA card that is 8-bit...

:cool:

Got one of those (as well as the docs). They're kind of cool in that they'll also drive EGA, MDA and CGA monitors (but not at the same time as VGA).

I like the Paradise cards better, though. 8 bit VGA access isn't going to be a barnburner in any case.

Paradise lost......

Paradise lost......

Got one of those (as well as the docs). They're kind of cool in that they'll also drive EGA, MDA and CGA monitors (but not at the same time as VGA).

I like the Paradise cards better, though. 8 bit VGA access isn't going to be a barnburner in any case.

What do you like better about the Paradise card?

What do you like better about the Paradise card?

Drivers seem to be easier to find, mostly. But if you're running it in an 8088 box, that's neither here nor there. I think both cards are more-or-less equivalent functionally.

Are there any 8 bit VGA cards with more than 1MB of video RAM?

Drivers seem to be easier to find, mostly. But if you're running it in an 8088 box, that's neither here nor there. I think both cards are more-or-less equivalent functionally.

Are there any 8 bit VGA cards with more than 1MB of video RAM?

Mine has 512, what does your card have for memory?

:xmas:

I'd have to go look, but I've got both your card and the Paradise. ISTR both go to 800x600x16.

Maybe higher resolutions are academic when it comes to 8-bit access?

I recently bought a new VGA card for my IBM 5150.

I've bought alot of 8-bit cards over the years, and this one seems to be the top of the heap.

Video Seven VEGA VGA 8-Bit ISA Video Card -- 512KB DRAM

vga1.jpg

vga2.jpg

Anyone know of a better VGA card that is 8-bit...

:cool:

Is this the one that went recently on Ebay? ;)

Why, that is a perfect 8 bit card- because as said it also does EGA, MDA and CGA.
The other thing you could do is use a 16 bit VGA card- many of them work in 8 bit slots.

The only one I like better is the one I have:
ibmvga.jpg

:D

But personally I wouldn't put VGA in a 5150, as it never came with that.

Is this the one that went recently on Ebay? ;)

My first sound card was an Adlib, shitty compared to what you see nowadays, but back then it was neat. I still have the first version of the Soundblaster 8bit and 16 bit cards.

My first game to play on the Adlib was one of the Space Quest Games..

:eek:

The only one I like better is the one I have:

:D

Hey, I have one of those too :) , but the PCB looks slightly different (brown)
and the memory chips are red. This is the only 8-bit VGA adapter IBM
made, I think it was for the Model 30. I've used this in my 5150 and it works
fine.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0087-crop.jpg
    DSCF0087-crop.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1
Here's a Hercules 8-bit VGA card I found awhile back. This one
had a broken capacitor, but still works fine in my 5150.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0094-crop.jpg
    DSCF0094-crop.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 3
Hey, I have one of those too :) , but the PCB looks slightly different (brown)
and the memory chips are red. This is the only 8-bit VGA adapter IBM
made, I think it was for the Model 30. I've used this in my 5150 and it works
fine.

Those red "memory chips" are resistor networks. Just FWIW.

Bill

More vga memory

More vga memory

Anyone have an 8-bit VGA card with over 1/2 meg of memory onboard?

Anyone have an 8-bit VGA card with over 1/2 meg of memory onboard?

I don't know if any 8-bit VGA cards exist with more than 512K.
And I seriously doubt any programs that run on the 5150 would be able to
use even 512K of video memory.

I don't know if any 8-bit VGA cards exist with more than 512K.
And I seriously doubt any programs that run on the 5150 would be able to
use even 512K of video memory.

Can't argue there, I bought the Video Seven VEGA VGA 8-Bit ISA Video Card -- 512KB DRAM for $15.50 so no major loss if the card is never actually used to its potential.

I'm trying to max out the potential of the 5150 without actually altering the 5150 itself, I even put a 8087 in the thing which will never be used, but its there hehehehehe~~:twisted:

Those IBM VGA cards are nice. I've been looking for one of those for a while. Surely there must be a place where I can tear one out of a model 30....

I'm trying to max out the potential of the 5150 without actually altering the 5150 itself, I even put a 8087 in the thing which will never be used, but its there hehehehehe~~:twisted:

I've actually toyed with the idea of un-maxing some XT clone by replacing the 8088 with an 8085 and little glue (i.e. a 4-bit latch to handle A16-A19 and maybe another to handle I/O addresses above 255). It should be possible--the on-board peripherals are compatible and the CPU bus is pretty close. Of course, you'd have to rewrite the BIOS to work, but what's a little programming?

But I suspect this project will have to wait until they put me in the state hospital for the criminally insane and I have lots of spare time on my hands...

Won't work, Chuck, the soldering irons they give ya in there have the cords cut off for safety purposes. Sad thing is that most of the inmates don't even notice...

--T

I've actually toyed with the idea of un-maxing some XT clone by replacing the 8088 with an 8085 and little glue (i.e. a 4-bit latch to handle A16-A19 and maybe another to handle I/O addresses above 255). It should be possible--the on-board peripherals are compatible and the CPU bus is pretty close. Of course, you'd have to rewrite the BIOS to work, but what's a little programming?

But I suspect this project will have to wait until they put me in the state hospital for the criminally insane and I have lots of spare time on my hands...

:rolleyes:

Won't work, Chuck, the soldering irons they give ya in there have the cords cut off for safety purposes. Sad thing is that most of the inmates don't even notice...

The nice thing is that all of the PCs work, even when they're just an empty shoebox with a bedpan on top for a display.

Seriously, though. A CP/M-80 machine with the memory and peripherals of a PC XT might be a really interesting beast. (Yes, I know I could just run a V20 in 8080 emulation mode, but that's cheating).

Back