• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Video cards and sound cards recommendations and other questions.

dassark

Experienced Member
Well here I go again with more questions. I have recently acquired a 300mhz Pentium II based Hp Vectra. I put Win95 on it and plan to use it for games from around maybe 92 to 2001. I plan on putting a Voodoo 2 in it but I'm also interested in recommendations for other 3d cards. As from what I read that Voodoos 3D glide was different from say Direct 3d. Also any recommendations for 2d cards that would go good with it.

Also I'm interested in recommendations for sound cards. My Vectra only has the headphone jack and that bothers me to no end. So I'm curious to know if there were different cards by this time that would be better or should I look for something like a late model Soundblaster.

Other than that is there any other recommendations for other things I should look for. And also is there a way to delete threads you put up on this site. I don't want to leave pthreads just sitting here. taking up space and being an eyesore.

SoundBlaster Live! are dirt cheap, I prefer Aureal Vortex sound cards for real 3D (Diamond sold them under the MX300 model I think and there are tons of third party cards).

A Voodoo 2 single or dual SLI setup is perfect for a P2-300. I recommend a Matrox Millenium 2, Mystique, or Tseng ET6000 based cards for the 2D or you can just get a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI that does 2D and 3D all in one.

Doesn't this Vectra take an AGP card? "Vectra" was used for a very wide range of PCs--anything from an ePC to full towers. The innards were by no means standard across the line and very often third-party. What model to have, exactly?

And also is there a way to delete threads you put up on this site. I don't want to leave pthreads just sitting here. taking up space and being an eyesore.
Other than THIS thread there's no other posts you can delete. You can only delete YOUR posts and only within the first 48 hours.

My bad on not being more specific. It is a Vectra VL 6 / 300 series DT. It uses a slim horizontal case and has 3 isa and 3 pci slots that are on a board so as to allow the slots to run horizontal. It actually is running a matrox millennium 1 card in it. Just found that out.

Thanks for the recommendation on the sound cards. After looking, My computer is running a Matrox Millennium 1 card.

Back