• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage-Computer.com: The Videogame!

Well, I've never heard of it. It's never mentioned in the BBC's idents on any of their 7 TV channels or God knows how many radio stations. Never seen it in programmes such as Radio Times either, but then why would it be mentioned? I've not seen it on freeview either.

Wait, so then how is it a "legend"? (as you mentioned earlier) ...or was that some kind of sick foul-minded joke meant to heart people's feelings?

(By the way, I checked, we DON'T get a second BBC channel, I'm probobly thinking of a BBC News program they air every once in a while on one of the local stations. Probobly PBS...)

Last edited:
bbcmicro said:
BBC America? The legends were true!
Seriously, I didn't know there was one.
As fer Doctor Who, is it the new series (which, btw is better than the old ones) or the old ones, where you can see the strings?

I wouldn't know the difference, having seen only a few episodes.

--T

BBC = British Broadcasting Company, i.e. public service. It is a bit unusual, but not entirely unheard of a public service TV station broadcasts abroad. In that case you typically need to buy a program card/license to get the channel. I'd suppose BBC America/News/whatever re-broadcasts the best pieces of what they distributed in the UK channels, just like SVT Europa is a pay channel for Swedes abroad (mainly Europe, but also some other parts of the world - I don't think it reaches North America though).

Terry Yager wrote:

> Y'know, the SciFi channel has been showing Dr. Who
> for several months now.

Oh dear! Well I wouldn't pay for it.

Doesn't help to have been watching Classic 60s Who followed by
The New Episodes.

OH DEAR! :-(

CP/M User.

atari2600a wrote:

> OK, the only thing keeping me from my next beta
> release is the lack of ideas for levels. Any ideas
> anyone?

General knowledge quizes are usually good - make a general
knowledge quiz which gets harder the further you progress.

CP/M User.

How about a stage where the player tries to identify the sound of a Victor 9000 copying a double-sided disk? (The sounds to choose from would include a sports car winding out through the gearz, a RailRoad crossing semiphore signal, and the V9K itself).
Or a stage where the task is to toggle a boot loader on the Altair's front panel? (This, of course, would be at a very advanced level in the game). A simpler version might be to execute a program that's already loaded, requiring only 1 or 2 mouse clicks to make the blinkenlights begin blinken.

--T

Last edited:
atari2600a wrote:

> Both are too hard, & the Altair 8800 one is too
> dynamic & would require too much programming in a
> language (Lingo) that I'm not an expert at.

What's difficult about incorporating a general knowledge quiz?
Don't they incorporate 'PRINT' & 'INPUT' type commands into
Languages anymore?

Post one question about something - make different levels of
difficulty in the questions & have one pick a question from a
certain difficulty level at random (or what appears RANDOM to
the human being).

CP/M User.

I meant the Victor 9000 question would be too hard.

The programming language is meant to manipulate the cast members, not to create them (unless you do a LARGE amount of programming). The closest thing to Print I've used is Alert. For example

on mouseUp me
alert "You suck, you suckity suck sucker"
end

The above command would bring up an alert window w/ the quoted text, of course. If you want a live example, play the latest version of the game & at the intro screen, move your cursor to the top-right corner.

(As you can probobly tell, Lingo is basically an adapted version of JavaScript.)

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot, the example I gave in my game uses mouseEnter, not mouseUp. (Difference: mouseEnter=when curser is over object; mouseUp=when object is left-clicked)

Last edited:
I had to guess the question where it asks you which song was played on which. I have no sound on this computer, so alas, I cannot appreciate all the beautiful music that I recommended!

And Jamie! :-D

Och Aye!

How about a question like, "identify the mainboard" and have either an IBM 5150, 5160 XT or 5170 AT mainboard show up on the screen. You could even randomise them to be different every time!

How about some questions asking to identify the prototype name with the name of the finished product?

Back