• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Vintage S100 computer motherboard plate, 12 slots

It was called a Back Plane on pretty much every machine I worked on back then. The Motherboard references started showing up with the single-board computers, as they had all of their electronics and expansion interfaces on the same board.

I remember that Intel first used the term "motherboard" when describing its Multibus processor boards, which could take "daughterboards". But that wouldn't be exactly the same, as the Multibus "motherboard" still plugged into a backplane.

So, with a backplane like that, what would be necessary to add in order to start building and installing those nice S-100 CPU/serial/io/frontplate/etc boards on e.g. s100computers.com?
Power supply? (How would it be connected?)
A case?
More?
(I never had my hands on an actual S-100 system back then, or later)

Give it a power supply, then a CPU, ram and serial board and you have a machine. Front panel and case is optional depending on the CPU card you're using.

I'd be jumping on this so freaking hard right now if I wasn't out of a job. The cost of just having a board that big fabbed, plus $10 for each slot and the number of years you're gonna knock off your life soldering that all together makes it seriously worth it.

Back