• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Texas Vintage Windows 1.03

Covers: Texas
Would people really pay that much for an old copy of windows?
Well I just saw an ad the other day for Beckett grading of VHS tapes, so maybe old shrinkwrapped boxes of MS Windows will be graded soon 🙄 or already are 😭

Just at a glance, the box looks good enough someone might want it as a display piece. There are people who would pay that much... not so much on this forum, but eBay is full of them.

For display pieces, condition is always important. The more it looks like it just came off of a 1980s store shelf, the more desirable it is.

Regrettably, a recent thread on 68kmla suggests that the folks who have been "grading" video games are now bringing their "business" to Mac gaming titles. (I recommend watching the videos in that thread to get an idea of why "business" is in scare quotes.) I hope they don't move on to other software, but I don't see why they would limit themselves.

Oh I’m sure grading for the big box PC games is coming if it’s not already here, ugh.

0786 Part No. 050-050-226 Microsoft Windows Version 1.03 has a "tear" in the plastic from the bottom hole to the bottom of the box. 1.3 was a typo

$650 or best offer.

I have other vintage computer hardware and software items here that I am going to sell, some are more rare than this one. Takes time going through all this stuff

If no one hits your $650 ask and you want to move this, I'd do $200. I already have an OEM version of this in unopened condition, but this one would present nicer, though.

"Investment Grading" What the hell is that garbage?
Don't kids have something better to waste time on like cryptocurrencies?
What worries me more is there are apparently a lot of people with more dollars than brain cells bolstering this nonsense "market".

I tried to, on a Compaq Portable w/640k & 2 floppies. Didn't work very well... 🙄
You mean you tried to run it from 360k floppies? That will be somewhat tedious to use that way.

If you have a hard drive though, it should run fine on the Portable. I have 1.01 on mine, as well as 2.03! I’ve always enjoyed tinkering with the early versions of Windows.

"Investment Grading" What the hell is that garbage?
Don't kids have something better to waste time on like cryptocurrencies?
Never underestimate what fictitious nonsense fad the youth is ready to burn all thier money one... "401K?! Thats out of date man! We have better ways now"

And the investment grading system is what destroyed comic books in the 1990s... Now look Disney owns Marvel.. Superb...

You mean you tried to run it from 360k floppies? That will be somewhat tedious to use that way.

If you have a hard drive though, it should run fine on the Portable. I have 1.01 on mine, as well as 2.03! I’ve always enjoyed tinkering with the early versions of Windows.
I was disappointed to find that it would only run Windows programs. I thought it would run DOS programs in windows. That didn't happen for several iterations of Windows.

I was disappointed to find that it would only run Windows programs. I thought it would run DOS programs in windows. That didn't happen for several iterations of Windows.
I just tried it in a virtual machine and Windows 1 does run MS-DOS applications in a Window. Must be text only and small. If the PIF directory has a PIF for a DOS application you have installed, try using that. Microsoft BASIC needs a maximum of 96 KB making it easy to fit in a window.
windows1dos.png

Back