• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Visual Commuter floppy drive question

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I don't think there was a single model drive for that thing--I've seen them with both the push-button-eject and latch lever type drives. Which do you have? I suspect that Visual put whatever half-height 360K floppy drives that they could puchase in quantity--AFAIK, there was nothing special about the drives.

As far as Visual PCs goes, does anyone out there have a Visual Barrister?

FunctionalLimits

Experienced Member
Thanks, Chuck. I'm looking at one with beige bezels! Oddly enough, it really doesn't look that bad, but they're definitely not the original drives -- they're even installed a little crooked. I'm not planning to keep this one, but I'd like to give it some proper drives before I say good-bye.

The Barrister is the one you worked on. Was that a "Visual Technology Inc." or a "Visual Computer Inc." project?

Chuck(G)

25k Member
Visual Technology. We'd just done a special card for the Commuter (Interestingly enough, it is possible to squeeze a full-size ISA card into the Commuter--you use a ribbon cable with a ISA IDC edge connector. It's a tight fit and kind of ugly, but it works). The Barrister was Visual's last-gasp effort--I was wondering if the company survived long enough to ship any units.

Again, looking through the wrong end of a 30-year telescope, but I still have some of the code I wrote for the thing.