• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Volume Control


Experienced Member
Dec 18, 2010
Very simple question that I simply haven't found a solution that satisfies me yet. I'd like to put a volume control knob on the outside of my Leading Edge Model D to control the loudness or mute the pc speaker. Just something small and simple to stick on the outside of the case. Any ideas out there?
A simple low-value, wire-wound variable resistor should work.

The speaker should have two wires going to it.

You need to insert the variable resistor in series with one of the wires from the motherboard connector to the speaker.

You will need to experiment as to the value to use.

Some potentiometers have an in-built switch, and this can be wired in series as well to completely mute the sound when the potentiometer is fully anticlockwise.