• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wanted: IBM 5160 bios

The EPROMs (Erasable Programmable ROM) are erased using UV (black) light. (The EEPROMs you alluded to before are Electrically Erasable PROMS, which can be reprogrammed in circuit).

The programmer is not expensive, and using it is not rocket science, so, by all means, grab one up to play around with (I just wanted to confirm that it works with the XT's chips before recommending purchasing it). Just practice a little before doing anything important, to familiarize yourself with the process. You'll be burning your own EPROMs in no time. I can send you a few blanked chips to practice on.

--T

Last edited:
The EPROMs (Erasable Programmable ROM) are erased using UV (black) light.

I thought I recalled something like this. Why would I buy an eraser from japan when I can get a UV light from the mall?

I can send you a few blanked chips to practice on.

I think I would prefer some pre-programmed chips to start. I can see myself using the EPROM programmer but not yet. I want to make sure that I can get the 5160 up and running with a 101-key keyboard first. So I'd want the latest BIOS programmed into them for now.

I can always erase them later and put something else on them, plus I found the chips online for a mere $4.50 each, so I'll buy some news ones at some point to mess with.

Plus as I go through the process of programming them later I will make a step by step wiki for our wiki (with photos etc).

I thought I recalled something like this. Why would I buy an eraser from japan when I can get a UV light from the mall?
The main argument for an eraser is that they have a timer that can be set for different chips. (the different types of chips take different amounts of exposure time to erase properly), and having the lamp pre-set for the correct distance from the chip for optimal performance. Using a homebrew setup will require some experimentation to get it right, and for the slight cost difference, you might as well go with the store-bought eraser.
Plus as I go through the process of programming them later I will make a step by step wiki for our wiki (with photos etc).

That'll work!

--T

Back