• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Microsoft Flight Simulator (1st or 2nd version)

Lorne

Veteran Member
I'm looking for the first or second version of Microsoft Flight Simulator.
IIRC it was in color, but very simple - you'd fly something like a Cessna around and try to land at a few different airports.
I almost always crashed, but I think I might be better at it now I've aged somewhat.

Anyone still got a copy?
Imageable maybe?

try here:
http://www.volny.cz/havlikjosef/downloadenglish.htm

run by a friend of mine. lots of the early versions have some oddball disk protection: they used five, 1k sectors per track, sectors numbered 65-69, so a standard diskimage (winimage) can't handle it. Teledisk usually works.

To get the images on that website to run in dosbox, I converted them from 5*1k sectors to 10*512b sectors, which means they are now 1.44mb images.

Just a reminder - MS probably isn't interested 25 years later, but it's copyrighted software. It should not be openly traded here for obvious reasons.

I've offered Lorne an original used copy of 2.x offline. He should be good now.

Mike

Understood, Mike. It was copy in my files that I own and haven't used in decades (and perhaps will never again use--I didn't care for it), so probably no harm done--if Lorne wants to pay me $0.01 for it, I'll happily destroy the original.

Most of these games were sent to me by publishers or dealers for getting to work with SIMCGA (way back in the day). So they're legit, not copied. Lorne already has a bunch of this stuff from me. I recall the MSFS was a knotty one because it's a boot-up game, not a DOS one. I've got a potload of preschool educational software as well.

I can't stand most games. The last game I spent any time on seriously was Colossal Cave that I ported to CDC 6000 from a DECSystem 10 tape given to me by a friend who worked as a customer engineer for DEC. Once I made my way through the thing (with some cheating--after all, I had the source and the database), I lost interest.

I don't even play Solitaire on the Windows machines--what's the point? Air Fight on PLATO was kind of fun, though.

Last edited:
Chuck - Don't even think of destroying the original ... Lorne will have a real copy soon enough. But we do need to be careful how we do things since all of this is very public. MS probably isn't too worried about us; I'm more worried about bottom feeding lawyers. (And not too worried, but there is always the possibility.)

And I'm probably going to jail for all the stuff I did as a teenager. :)

Mike

I assume any software requests on here are for original copies only, because getting 'copies' is quite easy on the internet - lots of abandonware sites.

I should add though, that weither you buy a second hand copy or download it, it makes no difference to the software provider as they will no longer be providing support and they get nothing from second hand sales. It's legally wrong, but they really have no reason to care in the slightest unless it effects their bottom line - and thats why you don't usually see abandonware sites asking for donations for legal battles.

Good point. When it comes to much more recent games the industry already found ways to complicate or prevent second hand sales of original software, namely one-time registration systems that you can re-enable for an additional fee. Not that it is relevant in any way in this matter, other that Lorne and the rest of us should be happy we're mainly dealing with vintage computers from an era where Internet connection or even activation phone calls were not a given prerequisite to be able to use the software - let it be games or productivity software - that you honestly bought from the manufacturer.

FWIW, I've got an original disk of MSFS as well but I haven't looked up which version.

Back