• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Osborne I keyboard

It is definitely the keyboard then?

Why not have a go at removing the duff key by very gently releasing the melted plastic on the two lugs of the key and removing the key itself? You may be able to find and/or free the problem. The other possibility is to approach a museum and see if you could trade your faulty keyboard for one of theirs (if their machine is only for show and not for use).

It may also be sensible to contact DigiBarn and see if they can put you in touch with someone who may be able to help either repair or find a replacement for you.

Just some avenues for you to think about...

Dave

This is one of those darn'd if you do, and darn'd if you don't quandries. As the keyboard cable tests ok, and the computer works fine as long as the keyboard isn't attached to the cable, and all the keys have the same "feel", but the matrix apparently fails only for that T key ... I have to remove the entire key unit to see the matrix. But I haven't found any references or sources on repairing a matrix problem.

My thread in the cp/m sub forum shares the gory details.

I don't know "DigiBarn". Would appreciate contact info.
Thanks.
Tom M.

Have you pulled the offending key slider and springs to see if the short goes away? My thought is that part of the slider or the inner spring might be jammed somehow.

The Oak membrane keyboard seems to be something that nobody really wants to get into. My thought is that if there's something funky with the slider mech, that this might be a way determine this.

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7933

Thanks Chuck. Take a look at the other thread I linked.

I've got the keycap off, and the complete key unit out. Nothing is stuck; all is free to move. I even compared that unit with a unit in the next row. No differences - and that unit in the next row works fine.

The problem in essence: the matrix indicates the T key is pressed all the time, even when the T key unit has been removed. Matrix has no problems with all the other keys.

Tom M.

Well, the problem is that the T key is nowhere near an edge, so you can't explore it to find out if the membrane is deformed or damaged in some way. I suppose you could remove the whole key assembly by cutting the ends off the key assembly "stakes" on the reverse side. That would at least let you examine the membrane; but if it's failed, I don't know what you'd do that would be productive.

There's a possibility is that we've been looking in the wrong location and that the short occurs somewhere between the key contacts and the connector and not at the key itself.

Chuck,

The key has already been removed and there is some visible 'damage' to the matrix under the key mechanism. Please follow the link to the main thread where this is described.

Dave

Back