• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Was there a VAX SBC?

As far as UNIX for VAX, there are tape images from UC Berkeley "Ernie" (Co-VAX, get it?) wandering around...

Yeah, but to my recollection none work on the MicroVAXen without modification. I could be wrong, it has been many years since I looked into it.

CW

Correct me if I am wrong, but some of the machines on Ebay that were posted, don't run VMS, only Ultrix and other Unix-based OSes.

Correct me if I am wrong, but some of the machines on Ebay that were posted, don't run VMS, only Ultrix and other Unix-based OSes.
No, the converse. Every VaxStation, VaxServer or MicroVax will run VMS. Whilst I have never tried apparently the older boxes, so up to the MicroVax and VaxStation 3100 will run Ultrix, but the 4000 series won't so the 4000/VLC which is the machine I really like using won't.

You might be confusing things with the DECStation, which was for a time the branding used on the MIPS boxes which only ran Unix derivetives.

DECstations will not run VMS since they are based on the MIPs processor.
DECstations will only run the MIPS version of Ultrix (and maybe NETBSD).

All VAXstation, VAXserver, MicroVAX, and VAXen will run VMS.
Most flavors of VAX will also run Ultrix, but you should check the SPD to be sure.
NETBSD/VAX will probably run on all VAXen, but I'm not positive.
Big VAXes will also run various forms of BSD Unix (my preferred OS)

CW

There were a series of rtVAX products. The KA620 SBC as I remember it had no virtual memory functionality and could only run VAXELN Run-Time. The disabling of the memory management was like putting glue into the extra qbus slots of VAXstation II. This was to prevent the conversion of an inexpensive limited scope machine into a full blown VAX/VMS Server.

Back