• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Weasel on Steroids

ribbets

Experienced Member
Something has been raiding my wives bird feeders of suet at night. Well this morning I almost caught the critter, Or it almost got me. While having my morning coffee I looked out on the back deck ,and somethings tail was sticking out of a trash bag.. Bravely I rattled the back door to scare off the neighbors cat and was confronted by an animal with half a loaf of french bread in its mouth, which put me back inside the house.. A fisher cat ... 20 lbs of the meanest thing I've ever seen. Barry Bonds of the rodent family. Ayuh !!! Well I shut off the porch light, refilled my coffee cup and watched as this fur bearing rodent from hell ,totally demolished the trash and bird feeders.. And throughout all this my better half saying "please chase it away..." Small chance!, no way!! ,
Maybe if one of you wants it for a pet, come an get it. Or latter this fall I'll make a hat of it after I fatten him up some.

I am not afraid:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hm, I was confused for a while.

Fisher cat (Martes pennanti) lives in North America and weighs up to 7 kg (15 lbs) according to a wildlife page from British Columbia. In Swedish it is apparently called "fiskmård" (fish martes) and can be farmed for its fur, just like mink.

It is not clear how the Fisher got its name, since fish do not seem to be a part of its diet. Mink, on the other hand, eat a lot of fish, and it is possible that this behaviour was ascribed to the Fisher in error. Fish or no, this is an exceptionally beautiful little animal, seldom seen by humans.

Fishing cat (Prionailurus viverrinus) is a different animal that lives in South-East Asia and is a bit endangered. It weighs up to 11-12 kg (26 lbs). If you found this animal in your garbage cans, it might've escaped from a local zoo park.

wonder if their edible....:roll:
michigan wolverine ? kinda like an american koala bear right!!!

Nothing that cute & cuddly. More like a Koala on crack, with a mad dog, an ugly woman, and a 12-gauge shotgun backing him up. Rumor hath it that a wolverine can bring down a full-grown moose.

--T

Last edited:
Don't care !!!! It still scared the shhhhh out of me.....
That baby stood up and could touch the knob.

Last edited:
The wolverine can weigh up to 25 kg (55 lb) and has been recognized as endangered since 2003. They have been filmed capturing kills from other predators, such as polar bears or a wolf pack.

In Swedish, it is called "järv", which is only one letter away from "djärv" which means brave, adventurous. Dunno if there is an etymology or a co-incidence. Any animal who dares to steal kills from polar bears - one of the few predators that is known to unprovoced attack humans as prey - is a brave species in my eyes.

In old (?) German, it is called Vielfrass, which means someone who eats a lot. Ditto in French: Glouton. In old days it was rumoured to eat a lot, be very ferocious and could even chew through a stone wall. In reality, the wolverine is said to be rather poor hunter, and rather eats on carcass and other animals' kills.

Last edited:
Heh. In Sweden, we have five large (mammal) predators in the wild: wolves, bears, lynx, wolverines and humans (!).

"The human is the most common and most spread predator in the world. It also is the most dangerous, in particular towards its own species."

Back