• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Website of Compiler Source Code (BASIC, C, Context, Pascal, etc)

CP/M User

Veteran Member
I was almost going to post this in the Turbo Pascal 5.5 Thread, and while the site I found had Pascal relevant information in it, there is also information regarding BASIC, C, Context (?), along with Projects Students have produced & some other Compilers:

Anyway I was looking up a known BASIC like language and found a Russian Website which gives a whole list of languages mentioned above & from that page I learned the language I knew (Moonrock BASIC Compiler v0.50) was written in QBASIC v4.5, though v7.1 is also there, so I presume that means v7.1 is backward compatible with v4.5. Though Moonrock is quite big 551kb, so I thought maybe that's a good starting point for anyone looking at making a Cross Compiler. Obviously to understand it all, one has to understand what the ASM code means on a PC and to use your systems equivalent.

I haven't posted the link to the Russian site... But if people want to Search Engine it "Source Texts of Compilers" will reveal it along with a Japanese Website.

I was wondering why you didn't post a link, and suddenly it became obvious to me!

Yeah, the site I've been looking at looks quite old, I don't see any updates after 2003, all the student stuff I mentioned above appears to be documented in Russian and all the Program zip files link to the Russian Site I'm looking at. Home pages are given to some of the programs which have their own Website, through I found one out of date, which was when I started looking at how old that site was.

But Wikipedia have referenced this site (I found it through the Moonrock Wiki page), so perhaps ideal to study the programs with their own sites before clicking on the zip file from the Russian server?

Oh, I was referring to the fact that they have the source code to the Turbo Pascal IDE. :)

But for all I know that could be legal, I didn't look into it.

Somewhere I have a book that describes how to write a compiler for Turbo Pascal, in Pascal. It's a huge book and I never got round to reading it. If I were going to write a cross compiler from scratch, I'd probably start with it.

I still think FPC would be the quickest way to get going though. It seems to me that it should already compile to a target that's close enough that you could make it work for CP/M with little modification. But then, I could be wrong because it seems to me that at some point FPC dropped support for simpler targets and possibly now only targets bloated OSs.

Last edited:
Oh, I was referring to the fact that they have the source code to the Turbo Pascal IDE. :)

I did notice that, though was more concerned with it's origin (that I obviously brought up in my last post).

But for all I know that could be legal, I didn't look into it.

I can only really draw from the Win3.1 Shell Calmira which was Freeware, I never saw Microsoft file lawsuit because it looked like Win95.

Somewhere I have a book that describes how to write a compiler for Turbo Pascal, in Pascal. It's a huge book and I never got round to reading it. If I were going to write a cross compiler from scratch, I'd probably start with it.

I still think FPC would be the quickest way to get going though. It seems to me that it should already compile to a target that's close enough that you could make it work for CP/M with little modification. But then, I could be wrong because it seems to me that at some point FPC dropped support for simpler targets and possibly now only targets bloated OSs.

I only ever recall FPC for the heavy boated systems, there was a DOS version, though initially it was 32bit and needed a program to get it into Protected Mode (?), but I talking about before FPC reached v1 it had some version number like 0.9.8. The Leopard still runs though. :D

When I first used FPC (Amiga), there were targets for MS-DOS, and a plethora of others. The list was exhaustive. I''m not sure what the version was, but now that you mention it; it probably was <1.

Now maybe there are only a half dozen targets, like Windows, Mac, Linux, and a few BSDs.

Finding the site was worth it for this tidbit: "Have you ever seen a compiler written in GW-Basic? You think it's impossible? ... Then take a look at this stuff and let it be your everlasting nightmare!"

Finding the site was worth it for this tidbit: "Have you ever seen a compiler written in GW-Basic? You think it's impossible? ... Then take a look at this stuff and let it be your everlasting nightmare!"

I noticed that one fairly quickly, so I did a search and found another Forum where someone stuck the whole program in a post.

Back