• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Websites Not Accessible

I believe those sites are hosted on the same server, and that the owner is aware of it.
All we can do is wait until they come back.

Just for my sanity's sake, can anyone explain why a web site would be down for a while? Is it a retro server? That would make sense since all the commercial hosts are offering 4 nines uptime these days.

Why would a web site be down for a while? My guess is limited funds and little or no disaster recovery resources. These are hobbiest sites. There's not a lot of money in hosting them. In my experience, revenue generators get $$, sites like this get leftovers.

Why would a web site be down for a while? My guess is limited funds and little or no disaster recovery resources. These are hobbiest sites. There's not a lot of money in hosting them. In my experience, revenue generators get $$, sites like this get leftovers.

That makes sense for a home server which takes expertise and resources like time and money. However, I'm about as poor as any computer hobbyist gets (4 figure annual income) and I don't have too much trouble coming up with the $6 per months for 750GB traffic, huge storage, and professionally managed (with backups) guaranteed 4 nines uptime and the ability to run many websites and databases on the server. My feeling is that there is some unspoken, non hosting related issue here - that's why I was asking.

A couple of drives in the RAID failed and this resulted in a file system corruption. This apparently has been resolved, but there is no ETA on when the sites will be back up.

g.

A couple of drives in the RAID failed and this resulted in a file system corruption. This apparently has been resolved, but there is no ETA on when the sites will be back up.

g.

Good news -- all three sites are back up. Bitsavers is only partially restored as of 17:00 MST today (2/15/11).

Update: Bitsavers looks to be fully restored as of this evening (2/16/11)

Last edited:
Back