• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Well Now I have a Kaypro

I too have everything to make disks. I did have to make myself a bootable one as the one provided with the system did not boot. But I then got a replacement disk from the seller and it too booted. I just don't want to wear out the floppy drives if I do not have to. Don't have a greaseweazle and at this time I see no need for one.

Nice buy, my friend! Very good catch considering the age, and super clean. I have 3 of these, a Kaypro 2, a Kaypro II and a Kaypro 10 - the K10 was water damaged (the keyboard was submerged in flood water), and the hard drive was "frozen", but I managed to save it and it runs great now.
I envy you, none of mine arrived in such pristine condition.
Good luck with it, I'd be happy to help if you run into a snag. ☺️

I too have everything to make disks. I did have to make myself a bootable one as the one provided with the system did not boot. But I then got a replacement disk from the seller and it too booted. I just don't want to wear out the floppy drives if I do not have to. Don't have a greaseweazle and at this time I see no need for one.

I got the greaseweazle thinking I could retire my Win 98 machine from being a dedicated floppy maker and have it go back to being my main Win 98 gaming pc but I still use it and haven't used the greaseweazle as much as I thought but I really need to use it more.

Updated the rom from 81-478A to 81-478C just to see if I could use the D27128A EPROM's in place of the 2764 of the original eprom in the Kaypro.

I have a few of the D27128A's from my Deskpro 8086 when I replaced the original motherboard with a NOS 286 deskpro motherboard and had used them to update the roms to the latest version for it.

I had issues programming them but then I remembered when I was messing with the Deskpro I had to up the voltages a little in the flashing program and after I did that I had no more issues.

Shows Kaypro Corp Version 2.03 now instead of 2.01.

IMG_20231104_193046328.jpg

Also flashed KayPLUS v1.2a rom to another eprom also.

IMG_20231104_194447401.jpg

I already have a eprom with TurboROM v3.4 flashed to it and one day I will swap them out and see which one I prefer but for now i'll just use the updated Kaypro v18-478C rom for now.

Last edited:
I've been able to use 28C64 on my Kaypro. Being EEPROM they work in modern programmers, are readily available, and they are pin-compatible with the Kaypro 2764.

FYI, the 81-478c contains a couple fixes over the original 81-478a:
1) reset modem to "on hook" (disconnected)
2) fix bug in printing CP/M prompt when console is redirected

FYI, the 81-478c contains a couple fixes over the original 81-478a:
1) reset modem to "on hook" (disconnected)
2) fix bug in printing CP/M prompt when console is redirected

Yep I read there were a couple of "bugs" in the original version A rom and I wanted to see if the eprom's I have would work.

Back