• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What are the top 10 rarest vintage computer bits you own?

My collection is often rotating so I'm sure I've owned some rare items but this is what I currently have that can be considered rare:

1) Hyundai Super-16 Turbo (Intel 8088 clone) complete with Hyundai branded monitor and keyboard
2) Umax SuperMac C500 (Apple-approved clone)
3) Mitsubishi MP286L with bootable BIOS config floppy and manuals

I have nothing very rare. Following items are nothing special
for their model or serial numbers either. I cannot put these in
correct order, but I'm curious about their production numbers.
VIC-20 was first computer that sold million units. C16 did not succeed
well, I guess it is more rare than the VIC. IBM pc/xt all models together
sold probably over 5 million units. C64 and it's variations are obviously
least rare based on their large production volume. Here's my list, can
you help to put it in correct order from rarest to the most common?

Amstrad cpc 464, with color monitor and several dozen casette games. Owned since late 80's.
Amstrad cpc 6128, with modified 3.5 pc floppy drive.
Commodore 16
Commodore plus/4 (untested, without power supply)
Commodore Vic-20 with several game modules
IBM XT 5160, 640kb/10Mb, green monitor
IBM ps2/model 30 0x86, without monitor, without original keyb/mouse
Amiga 500 with gotek emulator
Commodore color monitor
Commodore C64 + C64C

List of 10 is full, but bonus items: Commodore 1530, 1531, various 1541 + 1541-II drives and one
Oceanic drive.

AST 486dx33 or Osborne 486dx2/66 would probably drop out at least the C64's out of the
list. Parts built 386, pentium 1 or Compaq pentium II computers are maybe not worthy of the list.
Toshiba t1900c maybe rare, but as non functional don't belong to the list.

Missing, but not actively seeking out: 1551 drive, a Compis computer.

I have some hard to find items and one true unicorn...

1. AMI EVK 100 Prototype Evaluation Kit (Bare PCB)
1 1/2. IBM PC Jr w/IBM made 10MB hard drive expansion
2. SWTPC 6800
3. Xerox 820 kit (Bare PCB + ROM + all docs)
4. Fairchild F387SX SBC
5. Intel SDK-86 (+ a spare working one for trade bait)
6. Xerox 820 motherboard (Complete... w/Disks... need to build this one up)
7. Sym-1 (2 in box with documentation and matching serials to the boxes and one without a box - trade bait!)
8. Heathkit Z89
9. Heathkit Z110
10. Heathkit Z120

The EVK 100 is an interesting one. I looked for years to find info on it and found a museum in Stuttgart that had one, but they had no documentation. 1 1/2 years later I emailed someone who had a page up about the computer and he answered. He sent his documentation to a guy in England years ago, but gave me his email. I emailed the English guy and got copies of all the documentation. I gave the docs to the museum in Stuttgart and they used it to fire up their computer and dump all the ROMs. Now I have the PCB, ROM images, and documentation!

BUT... I have to find more MC6834 EPROMs. No small (or cheap) task.

The Xerox 820 kit has an interesting pedigree as I bought it off of Vince Briel. :)

The SWTPC 6800 was "free" - well, sweat equity. A friend of a friend died and he was a hoarder. My son and I were asked to help clean out the house in exchange for all the electronics we wanted - except for the main PC computer and any hard drives had to be wiped. We took 2 5x10 cargo trailer loads of electronics to Dallas Makerspace and gave it all away to members. The SWTPC and all the docs for it went home with me.

Edit: Almost forgot my Unicorn! My IBM PC Jr with an IBM made 10Mb hard drive expansion. :D

Last edited:
I used to have 3 Dick Smith Super-80's, but they've since found new homes.

The only possible rarity is a Hanimex Pencil II computer.

I sold off most of collection a decade ago and have settled primarily on my Sol-20 and a Northstar Horizon - no real exotic S-100 boards except maybe one of N*'s floating point processor boards (and I'd like to find an uncommon MicroComplex N* compatible disk controller). I have a MicroSolutions Compaticard II and a few of their Backpack drives - floppy, hard drive and CDROM via parallel port. I recently rehabbed a Cipher 5160 tape backup unit (with original cable/connector) - the cabinet was dirty, scratched and ugly but I repainted it - the innards look clean and powers up but the rubber roller is cracked and crappy looking - haven't tried to replace it yet or find a tape - thought I might use the chassis to house 2 external floppies but haven't got a round tuit yet.

The rarest piece I still have is the original Circuit Cellar 9 MHz SB180 (Hitachi 64180) with the 10MB hard drive and 2 half-height DS/DD 360k floppies. It has the daughterboard with modem and SASI interface. When I say original, I don't mean the version he built into a child's lunch box. I mean the system that was in use at CC. I was a member of the CT Computer Club and briefly did some work for him (I even got one of his "Special thanks to . . ." mentions in the BYTE article about the SB180). The drive boots into the Z-System and still has all the software they used, including Modula 2 - had it running a few months ago (thanks to Bill Sudbrink!).

Come to think of it I also have one of his other BYTE projects (I was project leader for it) - the HAL-4 - a 4 channel brainwave analyzer (Hemispheric Activation Level) which needed at least an IBM AT in order to provide a graphical FFT of both hemispheres of your brain; it uses an 8031 CPU.

In no particular order:

IBM PS/2 Model 25-286 with a Reply Power board
Two SGI IrisVisions
An IBM PC Server 500
An IBM PS/2 Server 95A
Two IBM PS/2 Server 95s
An IBM PS/2 Model 85 K/N with Pentium Overdrive
Two IBM PS/2 95-486XPs

I'm a bit of a MicroChannel hoarder if you can't tell :lol:

Mine was a 1968 GTO convertible...

1968-pontiac-gto-convertible-alpine-blue-black-13.jpg

1968-pontiac-gto-convertible-alpine-blue-black-1.jpg

1968-pontiac-gto-convertible-alpine-blue-black-4.jpg

1968-pontiac-gto-convertible-alpine-blue-black-6.jpg

Last edited:
Deep apologies for continuing off topic... (well, at least it can be considered vingate)

But I confess to being a ford guy.
Maybe one day it will be street leagal again.

t-bird.jpg

Back