• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What Atari computer do you own

Haha ok I see what you mean :)

About the Falcon I don't really know anything about trying to upgrade one or how much use they were back in the day. Even though I really wanted one back in 92-93 I never had the kind of cash needed to buy one and nowadays I don't really use my computers I just have them standing around looking cool :mrgreen:

I did like the Atari OS much more than the Amiga counterpart, all comes down to what you're used to working in I guess :)

Well when I started collecting I was only after the 800 as I considered it a notable "classic" machine. I soon found 800s were extremely rare in New Zealand. They were too expensive to import and besides, PAL ones would need to come from Australia (where they are also rare) or Europe.

I decided then to settle on a 800XL as the next best thing. I got one of these, and was surprised how impressed I was by it.

After I got an Amiga 500, I felt I really needed to get the competition to be fair so I picked up an Atari 1040ST FM.

Then someone gave me an Atari 130 XE.

Finally, an untested Atari 400 came up on Trademe, our local equivalent of eBAY. I snagged this, and remarkably it went.

So I've ended up with four Ataris. Of all the ones I've got, the most treasured is the 400. It is real vintage. It's design, rugged construction and age make it a true classic.

Tez

Atari 520ST

Atari 520ST

Atari 520ST Computer new in original box.

What would a computer like this be worth?

I'm looking to buy one, need a general idea what one like this would cost.

Thanks!

My collection of Atari computers consist of the following:

Atari 400 PAL (CIB)
Atari 400 NTSC (CIB)
Atari 400 NTSC (CIB but with replacement keyboard)
Atari 800 PAL
Atari 800 NTSC (CIB)
Atari 1200XL (CIB)
Atari 600XL (CIB)
Atari 800XL PAL (CIB)
Atari 800XL NTSC (CIB)
Atari 65XE
Atari 130XE
Atari 520ST
Atari 520STFM
Atari 1040STFM
Atari 1040STE
Atari Mega ST2
Atari Mega ST4
Atari Falcon
Atari Falcon (in parts)
SWP ATR8000 (Not technically an Atarimachine but closely related)

I also have loads of diskdrives, tapedrives, printers and other......crap :)

Seeing your name I find it hard to believe that you are 100% unbiased ;) I think the Falcon is a great machine and much more fun to use than the Amiga 1200. On the other hand, who the heck have these machines for "useful" purposes? ;) :)

Wow!!! that puts my collection to shame.

Most impressive sir…:-D

Re: Falcon, here is a homemade tower project. It is said to be fully functional, just not completed. Dunno what it will end at; real Atari collectors won't be that interested even though the motherboard is a Falcon '030 one.

http://www.tradera.com/Atari-Falcon-030-auktion_89002576

As for sound from a PAL-B or PAL-G computer, I think modern TVs can handle any sound subcarrier. In particular as many even handle NTSC composite video!

Hi carlsson,

Thanks for the info, I’m not really into custom rigs. I like my computers to be exactly as they come out of the box.
Once you start making holes in the cabs and adding non OEM parts it kinda loses its appeal to me.

Not sure if it's something to be jealous of...the Falcon is a pretty useless machine if you ask me.
An Amiga 1200 with the same specs is far more useful and better built
I guess it’s because of its rarity value. I don’t know much about Falcon’s other then most people I’ve talked to love them. Now you’ve mentioned it I don’t think I’ve actually seen any specific Atari Falcon software?
I absolutely loved my A1200, when the 16bit wars started I was definitely an Amiga boy and I remember paying £399 for the cartoon Classics pack, back in the late 80’s that was a heck of a lot of money

Troop: That's a quite impressive collection of Ataris...

I have limited myself to:
Atari 260 ST CIB
Atari 520 STM
Atari 520 STE CIB
Atari 520 STe 1040 upgraded
Atari 1040 STe
Atari Mega ST 4
Atari Portfolio

I also have two Compumates that turns the Atari VCS/2600 into a Computer

I'm more of a Commodore-man... :)

Troop: That's a quite impressive collection of Ataris...

I also have two Compumates that turns the Atari VCS/2600 into a Computer

Ditto on the comment to Troop. Obviously a very complete Atari collection there.

Compumate? Didn't know about those. That's a really cool gadget. I'll have to look around for one.

Atari isn't something I've completed and I still want some of the newer systems to see if I can get some soft-synth/midi controller things up.

I have:
Atari 400 (replaced keyboard kit and original keyboard)
Atari 800
Atari 800XL
Atari 600XL
Atari 1200XL
Atari Portfolio

Think that's it.. I can't remember if I have another newish Atari from a recent grab or if it's the 1200 or something else.

Thanks for your kind replies everyone. I did forget a couple of machines in my list :) I do have an Atari 260ST (CIB) a loose Atari 260ST two Atari 800XE's (CIB) and 2 Atari Portfolios (NIB) also. Probably have some other computers I have forgotten but right now everything is pretty much packed up in boxes and not that easy to dig out :)

Zeela: I've seen parts of your collection and you have a shitload of great stuff in there. If we get a similar thread under Commodore you'll have me beaten big time :)

Atari 520ST Computer new in original box.

What would a computer like this be worth?

I'm looking to buy one, need a general idea what one like this would cost.

Thanks!
If I were to come across one like what you are describing, I would offer no less than $200 for it. NIB means the seals were never broken, and the thing is really brand new.

There's nothing at all wrong with used Atari machines, they tend to age well. You can get open and used for around 30-40, easy. Mine were like that, and though the floppy drives were messed up, they work like champs.

Nathan

This is turning in to a Swedish thread =)

My Atari Collection:
Atari 400 (Not so mint but it works)
Atari 800 (Excellent condition, in a working setup with 2 working 810 diskdrives, an 850 interface with a 9pin printer and an APE interface)
Atari 600XL (Looks OK, does not work)
Atari 800XL (4 of them in different state of deterioration)
Atari 65XE (Looks good and works)
Atari 130XE (2 of them, one is original and the other one is... *eehh* modified)
Atari 800XE (Works but looks like hell. Will need a good do over before being presentable)
Atari 1200XL (An extremely well kept unit, keyboard looks new and only shows very little yellowing)
Atari XE GS (With gun and the hole shebang)
Atari Portfolio (Very nice little toy, I actually use it to write notes during meetings)

In addition to this I also have a number of 810 and 1050 drives, a few modems a number of 850's and a lot more i can't remember right now. No 16-bit or higher computers though, I try to collect 8-bit stuff only.

/P

This is turning in to a Swedish thread =)

Atari XE GS (With gun and the hole shebang)

I try to collect 8-bit stuff only.
Yes, we swedes seems to collect a lot! I too try to limit myself to 8-bitters, but every now and then a newer machine makes it into my collection. Everybody should have at least three 16-bit machines: Amiga 500, Atari 1040 ST and Sinclair QL (if this counts as a 16-bit machine ;) )

And, I really want an Atari XE GS!!!

Heh. Out of those three you mention, currently I only own a QL (Zeela's old one IIRC) and I am considering selling it. There was a buyer here on the forum but I have neglected to send any pics to him. :-/

I try to get as many different machines as possible. If two computers pretty much can run the same games, ideally I would only obtain one of them although I must admit I have duplets of several similar computers. The more I think about it, I believe I only own six systems of which I only have one working unit each: Amiga 1200, ZX Spectrum, Sinclair QL, COMX 35, Intellivision and TRS-80 CoCo.

I have two 800's and a TT030

Also have a Indus GT floppy drive which I always wanted as a kid but, could never talk the parents into. I just like watching the track readout go while it reads the disks. Totally pointless but, very cool. I even got the carry case and applications with it.

Its funny I really wanted a 800 as it was the first computer in my home as a kid. When I got it I played with it for an hour or so and haven't really messed with it since. Maybe someday I'll find a reason to set it up again. Bit of a waste sitting there in a closet.

I have two 800's and a TT030

Also have a Indus GT floppy drive which I always wanted as a kid but, could never talk the parents into. I just like watching the track readout go while it reads the disks. Totally pointless but, very cool. I even got the carry case and applications with it.

Its funny I really wanted a 800 as it was the first computer in my home as a kid. When I got it I played with it for an hour or so and haven't really messed with it since. Maybe someday I'll find a reason to set it up again. Bit of a waste sitting there in a closet.

Do what the rest of us nuts do, set it up on a table, and stare at it with love in your eyes... hehehehehehehe :mrgreen:

I own an Atari 800, waiting to get a floppy drive for it.

Do what the rest of us nuts do, set it up on a table, and stare at it with love in your eyes... hehehehehehehe :mrgreen:

I own an Atari 800, waiting to get a floppy drive for it.

I only have so many tables and way too many computers. Tables are way more rare then computers in my house. In fact I've taken to using computers as tables.

I am sitting next to a Sun Enterprise 150 with a Sun v480 on top of it. Which makes a great surface for the SGI O2 sitting on it that I'm installing IRIX on atm.

I have a small collection of 800XL, a 130XE, and some 520/1040STs. Nothing particularly interesting, except...

I also have an Atari TT030 which has been upgraded quite a bit. My TT has 64MB TT-RAM (on an aixTT card) and 4MB ST-RAM. I have a Galaxy VME graphics card that's currently running at 1280x1024x64k. It can be a fun machine, but I no longer have the time to mess around with it that much. I used to use it quite a bit as one of my two main desktops (the other being a PC) along with an Atari SLM804 laser printer. Now it sits on a shelf.

I only have so many tables and way too many computers. Tables are way more rare then computers in my house. In fact I've taken to using computers as tables.

I am sitting next to a Sun Enterprise 150 with a Sun v480 on top of it. Which makes a great surface for the SGI O2 sitting on it that I'm installing IRIX on atm.

I'm mostly target Excellent to New Vintage Computers, which means I don't have alot of computers :+>

I recently bought a brand new Atari ST computer.

I was an ST fanatic for many years. Still am. I used to spend about $30 a mounth anxiously awaiting the next issues of ST Format, St Review, and Atari User, with the included disks. While I still have the copies of Format and Atari user, my copies of ST review, my favorite, disappeared in one of my moves. I do still have all the disks tho. As well as much software and hardware. While I do have an ST Mega4 now, I never acqured the 3 most desirable. The ST/Mega E, the Falcon and especially the TT . I saw one at a Toronto Atari Users Group Fair in the mid-90s and was blown away by it.

That started me on this troublesome vintage computer fetish after first expanding to the 8-bit Ataris, of which I still have a considerable number of machines, some sealed software and many books (I sold my 800 and 400 about a year ago). After that it just went out of contol, first with the "main "home computers" and then with almost any vintage computer. At one point I had to rent 2 storage spaces to accomodate the overflow from my 1 bedroom apartment.

" Damn You, Sam Tramiel " !!

Lawrence

I have a small collection of 800XL, a 130XE, and some 520/1040STs. Nothing particularly interesting, except...

I also have an Atari TT030 which has been upgraded quite a bit. My TT has 64MB TT-RAM (on an aixTT card) and 4MB ST-RAM. I have a Galaxy VME graphics card that's currently running at 1280x1024x64k. It can be a fun machine, but I no longer have the time to mess around with it that much. I used to use it quite a bit as one of my two main desktops (the other being a PC) along with an Atari SLM804 laser printer. Now it sits on a shelf.

Last edited:
Back