• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What Atari computer do you own

The Atari I *use* the most is the 2600, but I have a lot of the earlier Atari computers, printers, drives, etc.

I'd say that the 600xl is a waste of space, and I don't have "newer" Atari's other than an ST.

bd

Re: What Atari computer do you own

At the moment I have working:

Atari 65XE + SIO2SD Floppy Drive Replacement

Atari Mega ST 2Mb + 1 Gb Satandisk Hard Drive Replacement +External Floppy

In storage (and looking for a new home) I have:

Atari ST FM 1Mb (Won't detect floppy drive)
Atari ST 520 FM
Atari ST 520 (plain 520 not FM)
Atari Megafile 60Mb Hard drive
Atari Mono Monitor (Picture off centre)
2 x Broken Atari 800XL

I still use my Mega4 to play Atari and Mac games through the Spectre GCR emulation. I recently backed up a ton of old 3.5 disks and only had 1 that was unreadable.

800XL
520ST
1040ST
Mega4ST

Well, my Atari collection is about 16/32 machines, so it just features the ST-line.
I use my computers, so they have upgrades or even sit in replacement casings.
From the collectors' point of view only few of them are interesting, from the users' point of view they are great.

520 ST+, TOS 1.x (don't know it exactly), one meg of ram.
1040 ST in a DDD Desktop case with selectable TOS 1.00 and 2.06, four megs of ram and PS/2 keyboard.
Mega/STe, TOS 2.05, four megs of ram, 500 megs hard drive, matrix graphics card which supports 1280x960 monochrome resolutions on an STM or TTM monitor for use with Cubase.
Mega/STe, TOS 2.06, four megs of ram, 130 megs hard drive.
TT 030, TOS 3.06, four megs of ST-ram, 16 megs of TT-ram, two gig hard drive, Ethernec networking card. Running MagiC. Attached to Atari PTC 1426 monitor or Atari TTM195 ecl monitor.
TT 030, TOS 3.06, two megs of ST-ram, 64 megs of TT-ram, four gig hard drive, Ethernec networking card, Nova graphics card, running MiNT OS.
Falcon 030, TOS 4.04, 32 mhz via FX-card, fourteen megs of ST-ram, 120 gig hard drive, Ethernec, external CD-rom drive, Jagpad. Running MagiC.
Falcon 030, TOS 4.04, 32 mhz (and the fast-ram) via Mighty Sonic 32 accelerator card, fourteen megs of ST-ram, 32 megs of fast-ram, ten gig hard drive, CD-rom drive, Syquest 44 drive, built into a Rocke tower with external Steinberg Falcon Digital Interface, Jagpad. Running MiNT.
ST-Book, TOS 2.06 (ST-Book edition), one meg of ram, many damages including keyboard, mouse and hard drive foil cables, so no hard drive.
ST-Book, TOS 2.06, four megs of ram, 80 meg hard drive.
Milan Atari Clone, Milan TOS, 64 megs of ram, 40 gig hard drive, internal CD-rom drive. Running MiNT.

My best liked machine is the Fx-Falcon which I use for ICQ, IRC, FalcAmp (mp3 player), looking at demos, playing (few) games.

The big question is which applications take advantage of the DSP, so it does not remain a cool, geeky thing. Without it, the Falcon '030 would just be another 68030 computer at a rather hefty price for its time. Previously I have price matched it to the Amiga 4000 but perhaps a beefed up 1200 can also be a good comparison.

Tomas Berndtsson has made a web page about what the Motorola DSP56001 is and what it can be used for. He mentions sound and image processors like MPEG, 3D calculations and so on. While probably theoretically correct, I'd need to see practical examples and comparisons with what a CPU itself could do. I suppose it is a bit similar to the GPU's in graphics cards of today, very fast at performing particular operations.
Well, regarding music issues first there's the possibility to play mp3 files on a standard Falcon (16 mhz 030, four megs of ram), or that of Cubase Audio Falcon that does recording on the 68030 and playback of the other tracks (up to 16) on the DSP (also on a standard Falcon).
In graphical ways you can see the DSP decode JPGs inside CAB, one of the web browsers for Atari 16/32 and do the same via an auto folder program for some graphics programme (don't know which unfortunately - I think it's RePro Studio or such).
Then the game Crown of Creation makes excessive use of the DSP, and probably there's a lot of DSP code in some Falcon demos.

The thing I don't like with the Falcon is it's clumsy OS and pain in the ass upgrade path :eek:
Well, it depends on which upgrade to make.
The CT60 speeders just plug into the Falcon Bus and there you go with up to 100 mhz on a 68060, the hard drive can easily be exchanged for 120 gig one, and ethernet can be attached to the cartdidge port.
So nothing about pain in the ass.

About the OS:
TOS is in Rom and can be enhanced by loading things from hard disk. It is something between the Amiga Kickrom (which is quite primitive in comparison) and the Amiga OS (which is quite comfortable in comparison).
Or in short, a graphical disk operating system.
Don't want to talk about replacement OS's or enhancements, as this would go way off-topic.

I have a falcon with 14mb ram 420mb hard disk. Looking to get a 68060 accelerator that fits in the falcon case so it can run quake (nd team fortress) if anyone has one available.
Also want a netusb for it.
Also got a 4mb STE and a powerdrive slimline hard drive (20mb)
btw jens falcamp is rubbish it doesnt do stereo aniplayer is better.

I have:

1 - Atari 800XL
1 - Atari STfm

Don't use either much... yet. Don't have the time right now.

Make the time...;)

There's nothing worse in the world than an unloved Atari!.

They've got so much to give, just like a faithful pet but without the added hassle of taking them out for walks and feeding them.

You KNOW it makes sense...:p

Last edited:
Let see...

Atari 800
Atari 800xl
Atari 600xl
ST 520
ST 1040

I like the Atari equipment, but like Random_Rodder said, just haven't made the time to 'play' with them much. Big respect for the 800 for its graphics capabilities at the time.

@jens : very impressive collection, my compliments :)

My humble collection:

800XL x2
130XE
XEGS
1040STF (needs a new floppy drive)
MegaSTE with 2 MB RAM, 44 MB hard drive and SpectreGCR cartridge

Make the time...;)

There's nothing worse in the world than an unloved Atari!.

They've got so much to give, just like a faithful pet but without the added hassle of taking them out for walks and feeding them.

You KNOW it makes sense...:p

LOL, yeah, I know what you mean.

My problem is more of not knowing much about them at this point as neither came with docs, and not having enough time to do proper research. I got the 800xl off eBay with power supply and two cart games back in May. Made a S-Video cable from some directions I found on the net. I have no floppy drives yet, so I can't call it a complete system. Thinking about just going with a SOI interface and using my PC as a server.

The ST I got back in June, locally off Craigslist. It came with an extra external floppy, modem, power supply and monitor - paid $30 and got to see it work before I left with it. Again, no software. Though I can do without the monitor. A guy I know made me a VGA adapter compatible with my ST and my Tandy CoCo3 collection (using different cables of course). I just installed SainT on my laptop to play around with it, so I'm still not familiar with that either.

After the holidays I'll get time to dig into my Atari equipment.

Later,

Brian

Wow your collection would have any ST fan like me drooling like a child for candy.

I don't have a Falcon, or an STE for that matter, only a Mega 4 and the gamut of other earlier STs and peripherals. DSP has always remained a bit of a mystery to me altho most Atari music-pros rave about it. The NEXT also has it with a proprietary connector but for the most part it seems to have disappeared off the development radar. Altho I have a couple of Amiga 1000s, a 2000, and 3000, they never excited me too much. I must admit I don't have or tried a 1200 nor Toaster and pehaps that makes a difference. Also in Music capabilities ST tended to be the leader altho a bit less in the US.

Lawrence

Well, my Atari collection is about 16/32 machines, so it just features the ST-line.
I use my computers, so they have upgrades or even sit in replacement casings.
From the collectors' point of view only few of them are interesting, from the users' point of view they are great.

520 ST+, TOS 1.x (don't know it exactly), one meg of ram.
1040 ST in a DDD Desktop case with selectable TOS 1.00 and 2.06, four megs of ram and PS/2 keyboard.
Mega/STe, TOS 2.05, four megs of ram, 500 megs hard drive, matrix graphics card which supports 1280x960 monochrome resolutions on an STM or TTM monitor for use with Cubase.
Mega/STe, TOS 2.06, four megs of ram, 130 megs hard drive.
TT 030, TOS 3.06, four megs of ST-ram, 16 megs of TT-ram, two gig hard drive, Ethernec networking card. Running MagiC. Attached to Atari PTC 1426 monitor or Atari TTM195 ecl monitor.
TT 030, TOS 3.06, two megs of ST-ram, 64 megs of TT-ram, four gig hard drive, Ethernec networking card, Nova graphics card, running MiNT OS.
Falcon 030, TOS 4.04, 32 mhz via FX-card, fourteen megs of ST-ram, 120 gig hard drive, Ethernec, external CD-rom drive, Jagpad. Running MagiC.
Falcon 030, TOS 4.04, 32 mhz (and the fast-ram) via Mighty Sonic 32 accelerator card, fourteen megs of ST-ram, 32 megs of fast-ram, ten gig hard drive, CD-rom drive, Syquest 44 drive, built into a Rocke tower with external Steinberg Falcon Digital Interface, Jagpad. Running MiNT.
ST-Book, TOS 2.06 (ST-Book edition), one meg of ram, many damages including keyboard, mouse and hard drive foil cables, so no hard drive.
ST-Book, TOS 2.06, four megs of ram, 80 meg hard drive.
Milan Atari Clone, Milan TOS, 64 megs of ram, 40 gig hard drive, internal CD-rom drive. Running MiNT.

My best liked machine is the Fx-Falcon which I use for ICQ, IRC, FalcAmp (mp3 player), looking at demos, playing (few) games.

Well, regarding music issues first there's the possibility to play mp3 files on a standard Falcon (16 mhz 030, four megs of ram), or that of Cubase Audio Falcon that does recording on the 68030 and playback of the other tracks (up to 16) on the DSP (also on a standard Falcon).
In graphical ways you can see the DSP decode JPGs inside CAB, one of the web browsers for Atari 16/32 and do the same via an auto folder program for some graphics programme (don't know which unfortunately - I think it's RePro Studio or such).
Then the game Crown of Creation makes excessive use of the DSP, and probably there's a lot of DSP code in some Falcon demos.

Well, it depends on which upgrade to make.
The CT60 speeders just plug into the Falcon Bus and there you go with up to 100 mhz on a 68060, the hard drive can easily be exchanged for 120 gig one, and ethernet can be attached to the cartdidge port.
So nothing about pain in the ass.

About the OS:
TOS is in Rom and can be enhanced by loading things from hard disk. It is something between the Amiga Kickrom (which is quite primitive in comparison) and the Amiga OS (which is quite comfortable in comparison).
Or in short, a graphical disk operating system.
Don't want to talk about replacement OS's or enhancements, as this would go way off-topic.

LOL, yeah, I know what you mean.

My problem is more of not knowing much about them at this point as neither came with docs, and not having enough time to do proper research. I got the 800xl off eBay with power supply and two cart games back in May. Made a S-Video cable from some directions I found on the net. I have no floppy drives yet, so I can't call it a complete system. Thinking about just going with a SOI interface and using my PC as a server.

The ST I got back in June, locally off Craigslist. It came with an extra external floppy, modem, power supply and monitor - paid $30 and got to see it work before I left with it. Again, no software. Though I can do without the monitor. A guy I know made me a VGA adapter compatible with my ST and my Tandy CoCo3 collection (using different cables of course). I just installed SainT on my laptop to play around with it, so I'm still not familiar with that either.

After the holidays I'll get time to dig into my Atari equipment.

Later,

Brian

I go through "System stages" myself i.e.

One Month I'm using my Commodore's, then I might stick with Atari's and then Sinclair's and so on.
Having over 34 different Retro Computers, I don't expect to ever use them as much as I'd like, I just don't get the time these days.:( I'll give it a break over Christmas and stick with the Next Gen consoles, as most of my friends & family are not interested in Retro stuff. :cry:

Persevere with the Atari's, as they have a special place in gaming history, you won't be disappointed.

Emulation is good but nothing gives you that warm nostalgic feeling you get when you use the real thing… :inlove:

Emulation is good but nothing gives you that warm nostalgic feeling you get when you use the real thing… :inlove:

Truer words have rarely been spoken. I just use emulation to get my feet wet (though they're pretty dry right now...) so I can become familiar with them. I grew up with the Tandy CoCo's (had a 1, 2 and 3), some friends had Atari 400's and one had an 800, two family members had Tandys, another had a TI, some other friends had Apple II's (as well as school) and one had a Coleco Adam. Considering the number of Atari's I've been around, it's the one I'm LEAST familiar with, especially the ST; never turned one on til this past summer.

As far as my overall collection goes, it's something like this:

1 - grey CoCo1
1 - white CoCo1
2 - CoCo2's
1 - CoCo3 w/128k (in the process of being packed into a Model III case...)
3 - CoCo3's w/512k

Have misc software and hardware for these, incl. MPIs, etc.

1 - TRS-80 Model IV (which I had to rebuild the keyboard on due to a 10lbs box of books falling on it during shipping, breaking the PC board in two places and a hole completely thru it...)

1 - Tandy 1000

2 - TI-99/4A's w/speech paks, with various cables, some cartridges and documentation

And of course the afore mentioned Atari units. And I won't bother mentioning the umpteen PC based machines...

All of them get some attention, none get the attention they deserve....

Brian

btw jens falcamp is rubbish it doesnt do stereo aniplayer is better.
That's true if you have joint-stereo files. FalcAmp plays real stereo properly.
@jens : very impressive collection, my compliments :)
Thanks. :)
Wow your collection would have any ST fan like me drooling like a child for candy.
Well, most things came over the years from that point in time on when people learned I use those things and gave me their old stuff.
I'm still waiting for a Hades Atari clone and for enough money to think about a CT60 and Supervidel. As I heard of a shop that still has some untouched Atari Falcon machines in original packaging for 700,- euros or so, I think about maybe building up a 'new' machine. ;-)

I have nothing in the ST line, but I do have my beloved 800XL... 1050 drive, plus a SIO2PC setup (serial - I still have one of those on my desktop) and a fair amount of carts. Only rare one is Inhomesoft Baseball though.

Atari 400 with enhanced full stroke keyboard and 56K memory
Atari 400
Atari 800
Atari 1040STe Enhanced
Atari 1200XL
Atari 130XE
Atari 520STFM Enhanced
Atari 800XL
Atari Falcon030 Computer System Expanded
Atari XE Game System (XEGS)

I also have a Compumate for the Atari 2600, so that sort of counts. ;-)

My favorite of those? Tough call. If it were working 100%, it would probably be the 1200XL for its look and feel, but on the 8-bit side, probably the 800 for its features and age.

Here's my full list of systems/platforms that is relatively up-to-date: http://www.billandchristina.com/vgamecomp/systems.htm

(Not listing multiples or peripherals)

Atari 400
Atari 400 with full stroke keyboard
Atari 800
Atari 1200XL
Atari 600XL
Atari 800XL
Atari 1090XL expansion bus
Atari 65XE
Atari 130XE
Atari 800XE
Atari XEGS
Atari 260ST
Atari 520ST club pre-release
Atari 520ST-M
Atari 1040ST-F
Atari 1040ST-FM
Atari TT
Atari Falcon
Atari 386SX laptop
Atari Portfolio

Marty
ClassicGaming.Com

Atari Gaming Headquarters
www.atarihq.com

Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)

What Atari computers do you own (not consoles) and which is your favorite and why?

My collection:-
Atari 400 x 3pcs 1 MIB
Atari 400 (48k Ver) MIB
Atari 800 x 2pcs
Atari 600XL MIB
Atari 800XL x 5pcs 2 MIB
Atari 65XE x 5pcs 3 MIB
Atari XE GS x 3pcs 1 MB
Atari Portfolio
Atari 1050 x 2pcs 1 BNIB
Atari 1010 x 5pcs 1 MIB
Atari CX12 x 5pcs 3 MIB
Atari 520STFM x 2pcs 1 x MIB

My favorite has to be the original Atari 800 (circa 1980) with the Atari 400 coming a very close second. :)

It just looks so "retro" and for such an early computer, its capabilities were just amazing. The build quality is fantastic and it really feels like I’m using a piece of working history…

Atari 800 was my favorite as well.

Back