• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What Commodore computer(s) do you own?

It's not as big as it used to be...

1 known working C-64 (and a bunch of broken ones)
1 C-128

Peripherals and stuff:

1 tape drive
2 1541 Floppy Drives
1 1541-II Floppy Drive
1 Printer (not sure what kind, but it's nice and small)
2 monitors (don't ask me what kind, they're in the garage right now)
1 home made XE-1541 Cable
1 Commodore mouse (I'm pretty sure I still have it)
1 Commodore B+W Scanner for Amiga (and I don't own an Amiga)

Used to own:

Vic-20
CBM with giant dual floppy drive
2 C-16s
1 Commodore mousepad
1 Commodore typewriter

I also own a genuine Commodore calculator and an unused Commodore notepad. I'm a fanboy :D

I'm not a collector, but somewhere in the basement there are:
3 or 4 ea. VIC-20, C-64, IEC disk drives and C2N tape drives
1 1/2 2001 PETs
1 8032
2 8050
1 MTU Visible memory graphic expansion board for PET
Misc. stuff for PET: ROM expanders, speech board, EPROM programmer, custom cables etc.
Boxes of books, tapes & disks etc.

My collection is also a lot smaller than some of the ones that have been listed, but I'm happy with it all the same.

CPUs:
1x PET 4032 "Fat 40" (mystery function ROM included... some day I will figure out what it's for)
Can you dump it, or at least peek the first few locations? Maybe we can figure out what it is.
Have you tried SYS36864 or 40960?

I'm sort of interested in compiling a list of all the optional ROMs out there.

Got an MPS-803 printer too but I'll probably get rid of it... no source for paper or ink and they're apparently not very good anyway.
Well, you probably won't find it at your local office supply house, but 8 1/2 x 11 continuous paper is still available and you can either reink the ribbons or reload it with a more available one.

Can you dump it, or at least peek the first few locations? Maybe we can figure out what it is.
Have you tried SYS36864 or 40960?

I'm sort of interested in compiling a list of all the optional ROMs out there.

Yes, it would be interesting to know what it does. One way would be to dump it in ASCII and see if you pick up any recognisable words, screen titles etc.

Tez

Wish list:
dual PET drive, preferably one of the 8" or quad density 5¼" ones
The 5.25" 8050 and 8250 drives are not too uncommon, they're just heavy. The 8" drives however are a whole mouthful of hen's teeth and you should be extremely lucky if you ever see one, much less get to buy one. I suppose if either of the 8" PET drives appear on eBay, it will go REALLY high.

PET hard drive (hey, may as well dream BIG if I'm dreaming at all)
µIEC unit from Jim Brain
C2N232 (I think that's what they're called — goes on the tape port and connects to a PC serial port)
Soon all these three may be solved in one wish, as Jim for the next run of uIEC devices considers both IEEE support and possibly optional C2N232 instead of just a dull cassette port connector. You may not consider the uIEC a hard drive but feature wise it comes very close.

The Commodore 9060 and 9090 hard drives however do exist. They are quite rare, far less common than a 8050/8250 but much more common than a 8" floppy drive. They use Tandon ST-506 type drives that appear to often go bad, and although you can replace those with Seagates of higher (unused) capacity, today I would consider the 9000 series HDDs just a collector's item.

Here's my little Commodore collection:
1x C64 in box
2x C64C, 1 in box
1x A500
1x A600HD

And some peripherals:
4x 1530, 1 in box
1x 1541-II in box
1x Printer, don't remember what it's called, I just got it last week

And of course the necessary joysticks and so on.. I got a set of NOS wireless joysticks (with big antennas), manufactured in 1982 iirc. Not made by Commodore but a cool thing to have anyway :) Haven't used them yet, the "base station" uses 110V and I don't have an adapter. The joysticks themselves need 2 9 Volt batteries each ;)

And Troop, you really do have an awful lot of Commodores for an Atari guy... :) BTW it is a PET 2001 you have...

Yeah they do stack up :) Ah, nice to know that it is a 2001, I'm not that into Commodore so I wasn't sure but checked out old-computers.com and thought it looked like a 2001. It doesn't seem to work 100% though, lots of crap on the screen when you boot it up.

Hello
Lets see

3 x VIC20 (one with amnesia)
5 C64 (one with a weird color combo)
4 C64C
3 C16
2 Plus/4
1 C128
1 C128D
2 A500
1 A500+
1 A600HD
2 A1200

Loads of pheriperials and software

Wish list:
C65
KIM-1 or the older one (was it CIM-1 it was called? - I have forgotten)
SX-64

My secrets:
I don't really like Amiga's, but don't tell any one :)

Micom: I think the different shades of grey brown is more a matter of manufacture date and miscolouration than a change of specs. There are a few different motherboard revisions before the C64C model but other than cost reduction nothing really changed.

Marko Mäkelä on the cbm-hackers mailing list just mentioned some C64s are "$DE00 clean" which means the unconnected address space at $DE00-$DFFF on some C64s echo back the last bus/accumulator content without getting random noise into the data. Whether this was a feature or a random factor in production, I don't know. Also I'm not sure if a small difference like this can be found within the set of "breadboxes" or if it would be a change if the C64C models.

Wish list:
C65
KIM-1 or the older one (was it CIM-1 it was called? - I have forgotten)
SX-64

same here but add a PET 2001 and a C64GS to that wishlist :)

All I have left is my beloved A3000T Developer's Edition. (I'm the original owner.)

I'm going to have to put it on eBay after I move. Bye, man...you served me well.

Bob

:'-( That sucks but having an Amiga 3000T from a friend who was an Amiga salesman I can understand why you may not feel like a hernia trying to move it heh. Everyone used to say they weighed like they were made of granite so he eventually sprayed some grey rhino coating on it so it looks like a big stone.

Was a sweet system though. He has a munged up copy (tv station didn't convert the audio for most of the interesting part) when he was on a local tv station demoing off the computer. He had about every drive you could in there (5.25, 3.5, syquest/zip (don't remember which), cdrom, back-up tape drive. Then had an emulator card in there so while he was loading Dpaint for a demo and doing something else he switched over to a new window and ran Windows 3.0 and loaded solitaire and I think paint or something and then windowed it and put it in the background while he returned to his Amiga animation demo.

It was great lol. er.. totally forgot why I commented. Let us know here if you do post it there or in this marketplace. That'll help ensure it goes to a good home.

2 x C64
1 x C64c
5 x 1541's (brown and beige)

1 x C128
2 x 1571 Disk Drives

1 x A500
1 x A2000
1 x A3000
1 x A1200

2 x 1802 Monitor
1 x 1080 Monitor
1 x 1084 Monitor

3 x Commodore printers, forget the models

Amiga computers:

Amiga 4000T
Amiga 4000D x 3
Amiga 4000 in Elbox tower
Amiga 3000D
Amiga 1200 x 2
Amiga 600
Amiga 500 x 2
Amiga 500+
Amiga CD32 x 2

8 bit computers:

Commodore Vic64
Commodore C128

Commodore PC & XT clones:

Commodore PC 20-III
Commodore PC 40-III
Commodore PC 50-II
Commodore 386DX-33C desktop

I never really understood the C64GS - but that is not a reason for not wanting one ;)

i have had 2 chances to get one too, which makes me kinda mad at myself.

first time my friend found one at the local dump along with joystick and Last Ninja Remix cart, but he wanted more cash for it then i had in my wallet so i decided to wait abit and buy it later, forgot all about it for like 6 months, and it ended up sold to some other guy. second chance was with the same friend when he bought a CIB from some auction site (to use as a hostage in some deal with me with some Nintendo stuff we had going) but it never happened so we decided to wait on it until i got the cash to buy it from him but then suddenly some 2-3 weeks after he got the urge for a Yamaha motorcycle so he sold this C64GS too.

its simply destiny that i should never own one of those. :(

I never really understood the C64GS
Honestly, I'm not sure Commodore mgmt did neither. If they really had wanted to counter the again successful video games, they probably should have looked at a way to drastically cut costs in the Amiga (500). Perhaps not made it cartridge based, but a slimmed down unit with 512K, floppy drive but no keyboard or expansion options. It just might have worked.

The fun part is that both Atari (XEGS) and Amstrad (GX-4000) also repackaged somewhat aged 8-bit computers as video game systems. I think all three fared just as bad.

Got an MPS-803 printer too but I'll probably get rid of it... no source for paper or ink and they're apparently not very good anyway.

Don't get rid of it. You can still find ribbons for the MPS-803 all over the internet. They run about $5 USD.

As for paper, regular old 8.5x11 works just fine since the MPS 803 was friction-feed.

Yeah, its slow and it sucks, but in 1983 it was Awesome...

Back