• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What did I do to my PDP-8 today.

Maybe you can scavenge the spring from a modern fuse cap so your fuse cap can look authentic/vintage
Certainly I will find some solution that will look authentic.

The spring looks like copper but copper would make a terrible spring. It might be copper plated but whatever the original material it has lost its temper. Nothing looks like it got hot, certainly not hot enough to change the materials in this way. The spring was never designed to be the principal current carrier.

When working on these things you have to remind yourself that they are around 50 years old and there was never any expectation that they would still be operable, much less in use at that age.

The gray fuseholder was actually an ECO to replace the original part, which was failing because of overloading. Someone a bit more obsessive can go back and dig out the actual part numbers and upgrade order.

The decset8000 was acting weird again and again it turned out to be the fuse holder. Specifically it looks like the cap for the 5V 25 amp fuse is the issue. At VCFMW I thought it was just a corrosion issue but after closer inspection with magnifying gear it looks like the issue is the spring is no longer very springy. There is a spring in the fuse holder cap that pushes the fuse against the bottom of the fuse holder when the cap is bayoneted into place. I have the machine working now but I fully expect this to go out again. Maybe time to go hunting for a new fuse holder cap. It looks like it is original but the 5V one is grey instead of the black of all the others and it does look a little more heavy duty than the others.
H724-C0021.png

DEC seemed to have an ongoing challenge making reliable power supplies. It seems your 8/E does have the above ECO since it has a gray +5V fuse. Does this 8/E have two Omnibuses? with core memory?
Are the MATE'N-LOK connectors showing any signs of discoloration on the +5V wires? Reworking with gold-plated pins and sockets to reduce the resistance or applying DeOxit D5 to those contacts can help.

Does this 8/E have two Omnibuses?
Yes and no. The rear one might have been added later as it had the wrong connector on the power cable and someone broke off the retaining clip so it could be plugged in. I have been using it with just the front backplane because of this.
with core memory?
16k with 2 sets of 8k core. Plenty of slots free for the time being.
Are the MATE'N-LOK connectors showing any signs of discoloration on the +5V wires? Reworking with gold-plated pins and sockets to reduce the resistance or applying DeOxit D5 to those contacts can help.
No signs of heating or high resistance in the contacts. I measured the voltage drop from supply cap to bus pin when I first brought it up and it was not excessive.

Not cheap though. Might be easier to look for an appropriate spring.
I see what you mean. $22 before adding in the shipping costs.

Since it is working now I will probably wait for it to drop out again and then see if I can pull the spring out without breaking anything. It may be that I can just tug on the spring to extend it back to its original working length. If I break it then maybe the $22 for a new cap would be worth it.

Seems like DEC under-rated the fuse holder here - 5V output is rated at 20A but F200 in the power supply circuit is 25A. Even the replacement fuse holder is only rated at 20A, so no margin. You can also get a 30A fuse holder in the same series (but black, not gray). If you're spending the money, you might also consider a panel mount circuit breaker (for about one-quarter of the price).

Last edited:
Not physical hardware yet, but I did get Usagi Electric's "HELLORLD!" meme running under Vince's branch of SIMH for the PDP-12.

Here's my code, along with a Makefile that will check out vrs42's tools and run them.

It was my first time diving over into the LINC side of the 12, and I was somewhat surprised to see that the DSC instruction I used pre-incremented the "register" I had pointed it to for indirect loading of the pixel-pattern words. I'm still reading the PDP-12 handbook and trying to work out where that's explained, as the section on the scope instructions assumes a bit more LINC experience by the time you get there.

I'm hoping to see this running on the UMD 12 some time this week, via video!

Screenshot from 2023-10-29 10-59-51.png

It was my first time diving over into the LINC side of the 12, and I was somewhat surprised to see that the DSC instruction I used pre-incremented the "register" I had pointed it to for indirect loading of the pixel-pattern words.

The increment before use is the same with the auto increment registers and the three cycle data break operations on the 8. It is one of those things that is essentially free to do in the hardware because of the way core memory works. Core memory is destructive read. The bits get cleared in the case of DEC's implementation. Core memory operations are always read/possible modify/write. Writes need the clear bits part of the read because it isn't so much a write as an IOR with the existing contents. If you want to use a memory location as an auto incrementing index into memory without a holding register then you are
going to get a pre-increment.

I have not studied the LINC much either but it stands to reason that the auto increment would work the same way for the same reasons. Here is a pseudo code of the three phases of the auto increment memory operation. MB is the Memory Buffer register, MA is the Memory Address register.
  1. MB <- MEMORY[MA]; MEMORY[MA] <- 0
  2. MB <- MB+1
  3. MEMORY[MA] <- MEMORY[MA] | MB
The next step would be to transfer the MB to the MA for the memory reference you are interested in. In order to use the pre-incremented value you would need a temporary register which would also obtain the value assigned to the MB in step 1. This would add 12 flipflops to the 8, something they would have tried to avoid.

Hope that clarifies the why.

Not physical hardware yet, but I did get Usagi Electric's "HELLORLD!" meme running under Vince's branch of SIMH for the PDP-12.

Here's my code, along with a Makefile that will check out vrs42's tools and run them.

It was my first time diving over into the LINC side of the 12, and I was somewhat surprised to see that the DSC instruction I used pre-incremented the "register" I had pointed it to for indirect loading of the pixel-pattern words. I'm still reading the PDP-12 handbook and trying to work out where that's explained, as the section on the scope instructions assumes a bit more LINC experience by the time you get there.

I'm hoping to see this running on the UMD 12 some time this week, via video!

View attachment 1267001
Exciting! It took some time to get the LINC addressing modes figured out, and half-word indexing is a thing to behold.

Even more so as, while it did pass the CPU diagnostics at one point, the code isn't quite what I would call ready for prime time.

Thanks for trying it! Let me know if(when) you find bugs.

Even more so as, while it did pass the CPU diagnostics at one point, the code isn't quite what I would call ready for prime time.

Thanks for trying it! Let me know if(when) you find bugs.
So far the only bug I ran into is that the build system doesn't know to pull in the SDL library paths properly if you just make pdp12 by itself: I have to make pdp1 first so it sets up the build environment for the 1's scope, and then the 12 builds fine! Not something you hit if you just build all of simh at a go, but I didn't want to wait for VAXen or CDC machines to finish just to print a silly message...

Thanks again for putting so much work into this!

A quick note -- I checked out your code, and did 'make' then 'make test'. The make test hung in the PDP-12 build. I believe the pdp12.ini is keeping the SIMH register test from completing correctly.

I renamed pdp12.ini, finished the 'make test', then quit out of SIMH, renamed pdp12.ini back, and now 'make test' skips the SIMH build (as it is complete), and displays the "HELLORLD" text.

Very cool.

A quick note -- I checked out your code, and did 'make' then 'make test'. The make test hung in the PDP-12 build. I believe the pdp12.ini is keeping the SIMH register test from completing correctly.

I renamed pdp12.ini, finished the 'make test', then quit out of SIMH, renamed pdp12.ini back, and now 'make test' skips the SIMH build (as it is complete), and displays the "HELLORLD" text.

Ah, good point! It never tripped me up for some reason, but I should probably name it hellorld.ini or something, and specify it more explicitly on that command line in the Makefile.

Apologies for the strain this could put on your Subversion server: you've got about 400MB of PDFs in there you seemed to use for generating your tests, and everyone who does make test will download them!

Core memory is destructive read. The bits get cleared in the case of DEC's implementation. Core memory operations are always read/possible modify/write. Writes need the clear bits part of the read because it isn't so much a write as an IOR with the existing contents. If you want to use a memory location as an auto incrementing index into memory without a holding register then you are going to get a pre-increment.

Ah yeah, this makes sense! I did finally find the bit explaining that the "I" in LINC instructions is "index" addressing through the "low sixteen" that works like the autoincrement 001X addresses on the 8 side. I had read it like the PDP-8's bare "indirect" mode!
Screenshot from 2023-10-29 23-05-23.png

It's only slightly confusing that the text uses an italic β in the proportional text, but a B in fixed-width text. Anyway, I'm going to have to read a lot more about LINC assembler, as I haven't found a good body of code to study like the Cookbook for the 8.

I confess to not having heard of this "cookbook". So I looked for it, or at least one, online. For future reference, I found this:

I also have this document, where I spent a while writing up a sort of hasty exegesis for the thing: https://zork.net/pdp8-cookbook/cookbook.html

Bonus: if you have your OS/browser set to "light mode" it's in PDP-8 livery, and if you have "dark mode" it's PDP-12 colours!

I also have this document, where I spent a while writing up a sort of hasty exegesis for the thing: https://zork.net/pdp8-cookbook/cookbook.html

Bonus: if you have your OS/browser set to "light mode" it's in PDP-8 livery, and if you have "dark mode" it's PDP-12 colours!
Very cool!

Two small quibbles so far...
1) The segment where instructions are presented to load values includes several model-specific instructions/values. These should perhaps be discouraged, or at least not included here.
2) Right after you mention 8tools in the sidebar (Thanks! The 8tools cross-assembler can also assemble PDP-12 LINC instructions.), you have a pointer to simh/simh. Should that be updated to point to open-simh/simh?

1) The segment where instructions are presented to load values includes several model-specific instructions/values. These should perhaps be discouraged, or at least not included here.
Which section is this, and which instructions? I mentioned in the PDP-8 Instructions section that the text was from the PDP-12 documentation. I'm happy to add some sidebar notes with a warning about particular entries, and pointing readers to an overview of the differences if you have such a page available.
2) Right after you mention 8tools in the sidebar (Thanks! The 8tools cross-assembler can also assemble PDP-12 LINC instructions.), you have a pointer to simh/simh. Should that be updated to point to open-simh/simh?
Oh, another good catch! I'll update that shortly.

Which section is this, and which instructions?
"Quick Constant Instructions" includes some examples with IAC combined with RAL/RTL/RTR. Those will work with most models and the PDP-12, but not on the LINC-8 or the straight-8.

Also, the PDP-5 and the 8/S can't even CMA rotate. (I'll have to research whether they could CML rotate, but I suspect not.) It might be OK to ignore those two in a beginner's document, though. They aren't considered "family of 8", but the straight-8 is.

Just before where auto-indexing is explained:
Code:
WE do the same thing for the output buffer, but since we recently did a DCA we know
we don’t need to CLL: the LINK is already 0.
Makes it sound like the DCA has something to do with why we know LINK is clear. That's not why LINK is clear, and actually I don't believe we care about LINK here. Perhaps
Code:
WE do the same thing for the output buffer, but since we recently did a DCA we know
we don’t need to CLA: the AC is already 0.

Back