• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What do you currently use for thumbdrives?

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
I have been using ADATA brand thumbdrives for moving drivers around and for bootable Windows installs. Since they are USB 3, they are quick to install Windows 10.

The older model I like was UV128/32GB and I just purchased a 3 pack of newer UV320/32GB.

I guess the newer models are just a little faster in writes and slightly slower in reads.

Attachments

• CrystalDiskMark_20221122184550 ADATA UV128 32GB stick.png
    CrystalDiskMark_20221122184550 ADATA UV128 32GB stick.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 3
  • CrystalDiskMark_20221122183651 ADATA UV320 32GB stick.png
    CrystalDiskMark_20221122183651 ADATA UV320 32GB stick.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 3
A few years ago Dollarama had 8gb thumbdrives for $4 each and I bought six.
Their performance is crap but 8gb is hella plenty enough you can just toss them around.
I also found some USB3 Kingston 8 and 16gb drives which yeah are a lot faster but to be honest I'm still using floppy discs more than USB drives still. :p

I have some older thumbdrives as well and they come in handy when setting up old laptops that either don't have built in ethernet or no built in OS drivers.

Probably should get some more portable USB to SATA enclosures and just use laptop HDs (since they hold more space). Things like OS installs still fit fine on 16GB drives but stuff like Snappy Driver Installer with all the packs won't fit on 32GB drives anymore.

I mostly use Sandisk Cruzer Fit thumb drives. They are very small so they don't take much space in your pocket. I usually have some with me at all times, along with some mini-SD cards.

I picked up 5 cheap microSD to USB keychain dongles. They claim to be USB 3, but they do work with 64GB microSDs. I haven't benchmarked them yet, however. USB ID says they're from "Super Top". Offered just as a point of information.

I have stuck with mostly the physically larger Sandisk Ultra drives. The current Fit drives have slow read and write speeds because the older faster design overheated when trying to meet the full requirements of USB 3.

I wish the specifications would list what type of flash is used inside the drive. I would probably pay more if I knew that a more expensive drive is likely to last longer. That also applies to SD cards which cost more per GB but nothing proves that the SD card isn't using the same poor quality flash as the cheapest flash drives.

I have a bunch of sandisk 32gb and 64gb drives. Some older 8gb and 16gb as well but not many. All my smaller ones are gone at this point. I would say only about 2 or 3 have died on me over the years and its been a long time since that happened.

I got a bunch of freebies from my MicroCenter - 8-16-32-64 and a 128 GB. All work fine and it's a good bet that they came in a boat load from China.

Back