• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What does Steam actually do?

...I'm going to be blunt and suggest that you "quit 'ur bitch'in" and just plug the computer into this new fangled invention called the internet. I'm not going to waste any more of my time here.
Why would you say this when you don't actually mean it?

As we can see, you're still wasting more of your time on this subject. :)

I've yet to read an ACTUAL reason to not want steam beyond "just dont wanna".

You people act like you're still paying by-the-hour for internet.
I guess you just don't understand the meaning of the word principle. If you did you might not have made these two statements. C'mon, waste some more of your time on this. :)

I must be very old, because I can think several reasons for having a computer not connected to Internet, even if you have an Internet connection at home and you are not paying-by-the-hour.

Said this, I have bought 1st to 4th Broken Sword series games, I absolutely love them, and sometimes play 1st and 2nd after so many years. That's why I paid for them. But I'm avoiding to buy the 5th one because it needs a Steam account. I'm very sorry, but I will only pay for it if I know it can be preserved (after all, some day it will be a vintage game). I will want to play it after Steam disappears. Because, face it, Steam will disappear before I do. So, unless there is an alternative engine a-la ScummVM which lets me play it from the data files, I will not pay a cent for it.

So, it prevents me to buy games. That's what Steam actually does.

I get what they're saying and they're valid points, and I'd also add that it'll screw up the value long term of second hand games

But in a practical sense for me that changes nothing - I prefer online activation a) no DVD hunt b) no puzzles / code sheets c) no developers writing/adding their own random protection systems d) no concern of media damage. The only real concern for me is that they use a reliable service - for which Steam, at least for me, has well proven itself to be.

As soon as any form of copy protection becomes a bother, I get around it, and if I'm getting that many YEARS of entertainment from a $60 or less entertainment title - I'm VERY happy with that.

The "crack system" works quite well for both sides - on a new release "cracks" often contain viruses or malware and often do not even work - which is enough to deter the general public but after a few years the 'non virus crack' emerges/gets solid upvoting allowing us to preserve titles.

I understand the principle concept too, but we're talking about 60 bucks here.... "always online DRM" is the only thing that'd stop me from getting that much entertainment for such a low price.

Steam lets you make backups of the games, however can only be restored through steam. And if Valve were to go under, i'm sure they would make provisions to get all those games playable without steam real quick, lest they have lawsuit after lawsuit on the books. THAT would be one hell of a class action suit. Ya know, honestly, i don't have a clue if steam / valve has an exit plan if they were to go under. Also, most games that download through steam don't really require it to run.

I must be very old, because I can think several reasons for having a computer not connected to Internet, even if you have an Internet connection at home and you are not paying-by-the-hour.

Said this, I have bought 1st to 4th Broken Sword series games, I absolutely love them, and sometimes play 1st and 2nd after so many years. That's why I paid for them. But I'm avoiding to buy the 5th one because it needs a Steam account. I'm very sorry, but I will only pay for it if I know it can be preserved (after all, some day it will be a vintage game). I will want to play it after Steam disappears. Because, face it, Steam will disappear before I do. So, unless there is an alternative engine a-la ScummVM which lets me play it from the data files, I will not pay a cent for it.

So, it prevents me to buy games. That's what Steam actually does.

The games I purchased (not downloaded, but purchased in a retail box or jewel case) which require Steam are DOOM 3 BFG, Titan Quest Gold (unfortunately it seems I got the Steam version), Worms Crazy Golf and Magika Plus. I was going to purchase the Stronghold Collection until I was lucky enough to spot the little Steam logo on the box.

I've downloaded and tested Titan Quest and it runs fine in offline mode. I don't know which version of Magicka that is. The version I have runs fine in offline mode, but my version requires a CD key. The rest of those are budget games, so they probably don't have always-online DRM, but I don't own them, so I can't test.

The bottom line is buying a game which requires Steam should be left up to the purchaser of the software.

Why's that? It's not your game; it's their game. They can utilize whatever form of copy protection they want, and they're not going to release multiple versions of a game just to suit a handful of people.

I just believe publishers and developers should list Steam in the system requirements rather than as a little icon on the back of the box along with an added note in the fine print. Looking up a game on a publishers website will not help - you'll find most do not list Steam as a requirement even though you can't use the software without it (DOOM 3 BFG or Titan Quest for example). So if you buy games online and don't see the back of the box or can't read the fine print, you may get stuck. My main complaint is the Steam requirement not being made prominant on those games which require Steam. I have nothing against the Steam service itself for those who wish to participate.

Steam is simply used for online activation, and if those companies didn't use Steam, they'd use some other form of online DRM in its stead. It's not at all unreasonable to expect PC gamers to have an internet connection in 2015. This is supposed to be the era of flying cars, upside-down Pepsi bottles, and power laces, after all. It's also an era where retailers have almost no PC game selection, so you have to buy most of your games through online retailers, anyways.

If you like Steam - great. However, for myself I have no desire to take advantage of any features (like being able to save on one machine and pick up on another, or be mobile) or online play.

Steam's main draw isn't its client (which is full of useful features), but all the thousands of games sold at low, low prices that are delivered directly to your computer in minutes.

And there is the great unspoken truth. Should Steam go away, what happens to your software investment?

1. Games are consumer products, not investments.

2. Digital sales make up over 90% of PC game sales, and Steam sales make up the great majority of those, so boxed copies will be gone long before Steam is.

3. Valve have stated that in the event that Steam is ever shut down, they'll unlock the DRM of all the games you own.

4. Like I said, if they didn't use Steam, they'd use some other form of online DRM that would also be shut eventually, and additionally might have a limited number of activations.

Gamespy went away last year leaving some games in the lurch.

How so? The multiplayer matchmaking servers were the only thing shut down, and it was for a bunch of games no one played anymore anyways, so they would've been shut down long before if they were controlled by the game publishers instead.

Steam lets you make backups of the games, however can only be restored through steam. And if Valve were to go under, i'm sure they would make provisions to get all those games playable without steam real quick, lest they have lawsuit after lawsuit on the books. THAT would be one hell of a class action suit. Ya know, honestly, i don't have a clue if steam / valve has an exit plan if they were to go under. Also, most games that download through steam don't really require it to run.
Class action suits work against companies that are still around and have money, steam folding would pretty much mean there is nothing and nobody left to take to court to gain anything. Unless they already have a programmed way out of their current DRM in a safe somewhere there would not be anyone coding it up as the office machines are getting repo'd.

Why's that? It's not your game; it's their game. They can utilize whatever form of copy protection they want, and they're not going to release multiple versions of a game just to suit a handful of people.

You misunderstood my point. The publisher has every right to use whatever copy protection they desire. But that copy protection, and/or any other requirement such as Steam, should be fully and prominatly disclosed, not included in the fine print on the back of the box and/or omitted from the publisher's website description (requirements) of the game. My point is that it should be up to the consumer as to whether or not they want to buy a game after knowing all the requirements.

Steam is simply used for online activation, and if those companies didn't use Steam, they'd use some other form of online DRM in its stead. It's not at all unreasonable to expect PC gamers to have an internet connection in 2015. This is supposed to be the era of flying cars, upside-down Pepsi bottles, and power laces, after all. It's also an era where retailers have almost no PC game selection, so you have to buy most of your games through online retailers, anyways.

It is reasonable to assume computer users have internet access. But you know what they say happens when you assume. Simply listing ALL the requirements (and copy protection schemes used) for the game in the requirements section would satisfy my concerns. How difficult is it to say "An Internet Connection is Required for"...pick one - Activation, Multi-player, Always-On DRM, etc. Or to say "A Steam Account is Required". If those requirements don't bother you, great. If that's something you do not wish to accept, well that's okay too.

And is online activation the only thing they do? I read about the Steam client being installed and updates being made even when they aren't requested. When you connect to the internet and allow a website to "do it's thing", you really don't know what is happening. This is a good enough reason to want to isolate a machine from the internet, along with all the services and software (such as anti-virus and firewall) you do not need.

Steam's main draw isn't its client (which is full of useful features), but all the thousands of games sold at low, low prices that are delivered directly to your computer in minutes.

If someone downloads a game from Steam, then they know what they are getting. When someone buys the physical copy of the game, it's a different story. You don't know what is needed unless it is listed in the requirements.

1. Games are consumer products, not investments.

Not in the sense of stocks and bonds, but you did pay money for a working product. I am not looking for my games to increase in value, just be useable as long as I have a machine to run them.

2. Digital sales make up over 90% of PC game sales, and Steam sales make up the great majority of those, so boxed copies will be gone long before Steam is.

Okay. But as long as publishers put out box copies to be sold, they have a responsibility to fully represent their product and disclose any requirements.

3. Valve have stated that in the event that Steam is ever shut down, they'll unlock the DRM of all the games you own.

This is just too unbelieveable to even consider as a serious statement. What company, once they have gone out of business or are on the verge of going out of business, is going to put in the time, money and manpower to modify their product? The thought is simply ludicrous.

4. Like I said, if they didn't use Steam, they'd use some other form of online DRM that would also be shut eventually, and additionally might have a limited number of activations.

They can do whatever they want as long as they disclose everything before I decide to purchase. My whole concern is having requirements thrust upon me of which I was unaware.

By the way, I don't see how Steam really fights piracy. If I understand correctly, while it does prevent a single copy of the game from being run on more than one machine at a time (in online mode), it doesn't prevent that same game from being installed and useable on many machines (and at the same time in offline mode if I understand correctly). So a group of people sharing one or more Steam accounts could easily share games amongst themselves.

Let me ask this question...would you buy a game which expires some number of days after you purchase it - not use it, but simply purchase it? When I buy a game, I may not play it for years. When I do, I want to know I can play it, and play it on a machine which meets it's resource requirements (OS, memory, video, etc.). When you start introducing the internet and/or services such as Steam into the mix, you are rolling the dice. You are hoping when you do wish to play that game, your machine is still powerful enough to access the internet and the website to activate the game is still viable.

Example...you have a catalog of physical games which can run on Win XP. You have vintage machines (this is a vintage forum after all) which are running Win XP in the year 2025 - why?...because it works for you and the machine isn't powerful enough for anything else. However, although Steam is somehow still around, it requires you to be running an internet browser which can not run under Win XP. Plus, the Steam website doesn't support Win XP any more. Where does that leave your catalog of games?

Despite all I have written, I am not anti-Steam for those who wish to use the service. I merely want to have all the information at my disposal so I can make the decision as to whether or not to purchase a piece of software.

Thanks..Joe

Luckybob, the issue is not about internet or not, although a) you may not actually have an internet connection where you happen to be (I, for example, may be located anywhere in the world at any moment. I'm rarely at home), and b) yes, in fact, sometimes you have to pay not by the hour but sometimes practically by the byte to be networked (if I were to even check my email for two seconds when I go to a site just ten minutes away from right here then it would cost me more than a game typically costs). But that's not the *point*. The point is DRM: If you buy something, do you own it? Or do you not? What some people here (including me) don't accept is that even when you buy something you don't own it. In fact it can be taken away from you, without compensation, at any time. THAT is the issue. Not the internet, that's just a tool to take ownership rights away from you.

-Tor

According to some indian tribes NOBODY OWNS ANYTHING.

Also I was looking at some system requirements for some games I had. Both physical and steam. NOT A SINGLE ONE, said anything about needing a keyboard and mouse. I am outraged that this minor detail was not crammed into the already tiny text on the back of the box. WARBLE WARBLE WARBLE!

According to some indian tribes NOBODY OWNS ANYTHING.

Also I was looking at some system requirements for some games I had. Both physical and steam. NOT A SINGLE ONE, said anything about needing a keyboard and mouse. I am outraged that this minor detail was not crammed into the already tiny text on the back of the box. WARBLE WARBLE WARBLE!

If you have nothing constructive to add to this thread, please take your own advice and leave. Let the adults continue the conversation. Do you really believe your comments enhance your reputation or add to the discussion?

I didn't think it did, but did you find the answer in any of the chatter? I hadn't really thought about or come across physical copies of games requiring Steam registration. That's an interesting problem for the future if you thought you paid for it and now can't install it.

In general I avoid anything requiring online registration but I suppose there are probably games I have that I didn't think about it or care at the time that will bite me in the butt if I want to register them later.

The comment on the internet is a poor solution. Software disappears every day from existence without us knowing. Hargle and others certainly do a great job maintaining these but also keep in mind that's a legal copy so some may be shareware. I find this with music today.

Stupid example but I can't find a CD I own that I ripped a while back to mp3. When I ripped it my input sound volume was low so it sorta sucks when it comes on during a playlist. Now that I've lost my copy (or I "put it away") it's not popular so I don't see it on the internet or any already ripped sites and am a bit surprised and disappointed.

Could happen to anything, any game, etc. Stuff is easy to find when it's popular but when it's out of production and popularity you might be out of luck. If your copy relies on a server/service that is no longer available, ditto.

Not the same but I also own some games that require an online game server. Server no longer exists so that game pretty much can't be played anymore even though I own it.

I didn't think it did, but did you find the answer in any of the chatter?

Kinda. I'm still a little unsure about exactly what occurs when a physical media game requires a Steam account to activate. Does it download additional software such as a Steam client which is required even if running in offline mode? Does it simply activate the game and then never bother you again (like Windows XP activation), leaving no software behind?

If it simply activates the game and does not install additional software, then my original question remains - can you install the game on your game machine, copy the files to an internet capable machine, activate it and then copy any modified files back to your game machine.

Thanks...Joe

...I can't find a CD I own that I ripped a while back to mp3. When I ripped it my input sound volume was low so it sorta sucks when it comes on during a playlist. Now that I've lost my copy (or I "put it away") it's not popular so I don't see it on the internet or any already ripped sites and am a bit surprised and disappointed.

Could happen to anything, any game, etc. Stuff is easy to find when it's popular but when it's out of production and popularity you might be out of luck. If your copy relies on a server/service that is no longer available, ditto.
The same goes for web sites that are of particular interest. Whenever I run across something that I find extremely interesting, important, or otherwise invaluable I not only bookmark it but I also commit it to my personal media of some sort, and I am not including the cloud in this group of media. So I end up saving large amounts of data. You never know when something that you don't have any control over whatsoever is going to disappear or go tits-up. This is why we have computers with lots of storage capacity. :) You've got nobody to blame but yourself if you miss out on some information, program, game or whatever because the 'provider' is no longer providing.

> I not only bookmark it but I also commit it to my personal media of some sort, and I am not including the cloud in this group of media.

As do I - but I should have started doing that earlier. There are, or should I say were, one-off, unique ideas with documentation and pictures on the net at some time. Then it disappears, the person behind it can't be googled, forums have questions with "did anyone copy this stuff we discussed last year?" (and nobody did), the wayback machine has an incomplete copy. Well, now I buy 3TB disks as I buy milk (almost), down at the mall.. they're really cheap over here sometimes. And now, when I hear about something interesting, sometimes a 'locate <name-of-file>' will find it on my own harddrive already.

...sometimes a 'locate <name-of-file>' will find it on my own harddrive already.
I use a program called 'Everything' to do that. It happens to be one of my most invaluable tools. It's a file indexer/locater that's worth every penny (even though it's free). Honestly, I can't imaging not having it on any Windows machine that runs NTFS.

Briefly, "Everything" is search engine that locates files and folders by filename (or partial filename) instantly for Windows.
Unlike Windows search "Everything" initially displays every file and folder on your computer (hence the name "Everything").
You type in a search filter to limit what files and folders are displayed.

And, since it works instantly, it's hundreds of times faster than a search procedure that actually has to parse the file system to give a result.

Last edited:
Kinda. I'm still a little unsure about exactly what occurs when a physical media game requires a Steam account to activate. Does it download additional software such as a Steam client which is required even if running in offline mode? Does it simply activate the game and then never bother you again (like Windows XP activation), leaving no software behind?

If it simply activates the game and does not install additional software, then my original question remains - can you install the game on your game machine, copy the files to an internet capable machine, activate it and then copy any modified files back to your game machine.

Thanks...Joe

It depends on who wrote the game, and how much they cared about the copyright protection.

Any modern game with a Steam or Origin logo on it, I expect to need the client running in the background (hopefully with offline mode support). However with older/cheaper titles or any title that claims it's "activation only" I wouldn't be surprised if it was as simple as you describe (copy a file or a registry key).

Back