• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What does Steam actually do?

It is reasonable to assume computer users have internet access. But you know what they say happens when you assume. Simply listing ALL the requirements (and copy protection schemes used) for the game in the requirements section would satisfy my concerns. How difficult is it to say "An Internet Connection is Required for"...pick one - Activation, Multi-player, Always-On DRM, etc. Or to say "A Steam Account is Required". If those requirements don't bother you, great. If that's something you do not wish to accept, well that's okay too.

They also make the perfectly reasonable assumption that their customers aren't paranoid about using the internet.

And is online activation the only thing they do? I read about the Steam client being installed and updates being made even when they aren't requested.

I don't see any option in Steam to turn updates off completely, but you can set Steam to offline mode and it'll stay that way until you turn it back on. Dunno if it will update in offline mode or not.

When you connect to the internet and allow a website to "do it's thing", you really don't know what is happening.

Do you ever patronize restaurants or mechanics or, god forbid, doctors?

If someone downloads a game from Steam, then they know what they are getting. When someone buys the physical copy of the game, it's a different story. You don't know what is needed unless it is listed in the requirements.

This should help some: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Steam_authentication

This is just too unbelieveable to even consider as a serious statement. What company, once they have gone out of business or are on the verge of going out of business, is going to put in the time, money and manpower to modify their product? The thought is simply ludicrous.

That's their claim, regardless of whether you choose to believe it or not.

By the way, I don't see how Steam really fights piracy. If I understand correctly, while it does prevent a single copy of the game from being run on more than one machine at a time (in online mode), it doesn't prevent that same game from being installed and useable on many machines (and at the same time in offline mode if I understand correctly). So a group of people sharing one or more Steam accounts could easily share games amongst themselves.

Two or three people could share an account, maybe, but 60 couldn't. They'd be constantly kicking each other off while downloading stuff; plus, that many people using an account is going to make someone suspicious. And, believe it or not, most PC gamers actually enjoy Steam's social features. I have a friend in Israel I can chat with, invite to games automatically, and even talk to with Steam's built-in VOIP.

Let me ask this question...would you buy a game which expires some number of days after you purchase it - not use it, but simply purchase it?

I surely would. In fact, I wish publishers offered a lower price on new games that limits play to three days or a week or whatever. It'd save me a lot of money. Let me ask this of you: do you buy movie tickets or rent movies? I do. It's entertainment. Entertainment is typically less entertaining the second time around, and a lot less entertaining the third time around. Why do I need something to hang on to forever? I just sold a stack of 40+ boxed games because I realized I'd never play them again. Games on Steam are so cheap and so plentiful I don't have enough time to play the ones I've bought but haven't gotten to yet.

Example...you have a catalog of physical games which can run on Win XP. You have vintage machines (this is a vintage forum after all) which are running Win XP in the year 2025 - why?...because it works for you and the machine isn't powerful enough for anything else. However, although Steam is somehow still around, it requires you to be running an internet browser which can not run under Win XP. Plus, the Steam website doesn't support Win XP any more. Where does that leave your catalog of games?

Game publishers sell games to gamers, not to museum curators. And why are you being so negative? Valve can simply stop developing the XP client and leave it running as a legacy version (Steam doesn't require an internet browser BTW; the client program has its own built-in one that isn't used in installing or launching games). Moreover, if Valve chooses to remove any game that requires XP from the store, they'll incentivize publishers to release versions compatible with newer operating systems, since they actually make money from old games people buy through the Steam Store (unlike those boxed games you bought from the bargain bin).

Kinda. I'm still a little unsure about exactly what occurs when a physical media game requires a Steam account to activate. Does it download additional software such as a Steam client which is required even if running in offline mode? Does it simply activate the game and then never bother you again (like Windows XP activation), leaving no software behind?

I've already answered this. If a game uses Steamworks for authentication, you have to have the Steam client installed and running, then run the game through the Steam client. If you attempt to run the game directly by launching the executable, you'll get an error message and the game won't run. It's also worth noting that once you use your Steam game code, the game is locked to your account forever, so you can never sell or buy used copies.

The point is DRM: If you buy something, do you own it? Or do you not? What some people here (including me) don't accept is that even when you buy something you don't own it. In fact it can be taken away from you, without compensation, at any time. THAT is the issue. Not the internet, that's just a tool to take ownership rights away from you.

The issue is one of your perspective and your perception. When you buy boxed software, you're actually buying a license to use a copy of the software. The copyright holder is the one who owns the software. The only difference between games now and games in the past is that you actually have to account for your license now. Publishers would've done so in the past if the technology existed.

Funstock Digital has the Steam key for The Evil Within for 12.99 GPB, which is $20.05 with Paypal's exchange fee. Not bad. Now we can argue about the 40GB download it takes to run the thing. :)

Funstock Digital has the Steam key for The Evil Within for 12.99 GPB, which is $20.05 with Paypal's exchange fee. Not bad. Now we can argue about the 40GB download it takes to run the thing. :)

neat. now if the game was worth the hour download...

I do appreciate the help you've offered and for taking the time to reply. I'll make a couple more closing comments here and then I'll drop the subject as I believe I got the answer to my opening question as to what Steam actually does to activate a game. It was not my intention to start a thread to either rant against Steam or defend it's existance, but rather to understand how it works.

They also make the perfectly reasonable assumption that their customers aren't paranoid about using the internet.

I am not paranoid about using the internet. My participation here and on other forums is evidence of that. However, that does not mean I wish to have all use of my computer tied to, and rely upon, the internet for my software to work.

Do you ever patronize restaurants or mechanics or, god forbid, doctors?

I do not see the analogy here. When you click on a link or visit a website, you do not know what that website is reading from your hard drive or downloading to your machine. If we did, there would be less of a need for anti virus, malware or adware software. Hopefully when you go to one of the places above, you do not blindly let them do anything before being informed.

That's their claim, regardless of whether you choose to believe it or not.

Only time will tell whether this is true. The downside if it is not true will be the loss of use of games which require Steam. All we can do is go by past history and what has occurred when prior server services have sut down - did they first make accomodations for software which used their sites/servers?

Two or three people could share an account, maybe, but 60 couldn't. They'd be constantly kicking each other off while downloading stuff; plus, that many people using an account is going to make someone suspicious. And, believe it or not, most PC gamers actually enjoy Steam's social features. I have a friend in Israel I can chat with, invite to games automatically, and even talk to with Steam's built-in VOIP.

How would Steam know it was more than one person accessing an account?

Just as a theoretical, let's say a group of people decided to use one account, or create one for each person, and share those accounts. Let's also assume they only want games which are run in offline mode. Would they not be able to each download the game and play it in offline mode on their machine? Or in the case of physical media, install the game and activate it?

The comment on social interaction is interesting, If social media is of interest to you, the feature is great. If you are like a lot of us who do not use (and have no interest in using) social media, then the feature is of no consequence.

I surely would. In fact, I wish publishers offered a lower price on new games that limits play to three days or a week or whatever. It'd save me a lot of money. Let me ask this of you: do you buy movie tickets or rent movies? I do. It's entertainment. Entertainment is typically less entertaining the second time around, and a lot less entertaining the third time around. Why do I need something to hang on to forever? I just sold a stack of 40+ boxed games because I realized I'd never play them again. Games on Steam are so cheap and so plentiful I don't have enough time to play the ones I've bought but haven't gotten to yet.

I believe you are talking about two different things here. One would be software rental. In this case, you would want to play the game immediatly for a given length of time. The other is buying the software so it can be played whenever you like for as long as you like. Both are valid and rental would no doubt save money for those who want to use software immediatly and for a limited time.

The comparision with entertainment is only slightly valid. Yes, seeing a movie the first time is better than the second or subsequent time. But, have you never seen a movie twice or watched a TV show rerun? There is some value is seeing something a second time.

However, games are very different. Have you only played Monopoly one time? Sure there are games which lose most of their value once you've played them. Games such as Lesuire Suit Larry lose their charm the second time because you've seen it all and figured out the puzzles. Although once a few years pass, you may play it again because most of it has been forgotten. But how about Doom or Quake? I've played them several times, especially when I can get new maps.

Game publishers sell games to gamers, not to museum curators. And why are you being so negative? Valve can simply stop developing the XP client and leave it running as a legacy version (Steam doesn't require an internet browser BTW; the client program has its own built-in one that isn't used in installing or launching games). Moreover, if Valve chooses to remove any game that requires XP from the store, they'll incentivize publishers to release versions compatible with newer operating systems, since they actually make money from old games people buy through the Steam Store (unlike those boxed games you bought from the bargain bin).

We have a forum filled with people who love the older games. I doubt they consider themselves as curators or their game collections as museum pieces. They bought the games to enjoy whenever they wish and to this day may play the most simplistic of games despite the new whiz-bang graphics of today.

If I buy a movie or TV series on DVD, it is not because it is going in a museum, it is because I want to watch it at some point. Maybe not today, this week, this month or even this year. And once I watch it, I may put it on a shelf and drag it out in a couple years to watch again. That is my right. While the content of that movie or TV show does not belong to me, I did buy the right to watch it whenever I want, as many times as I want. Same with buying a game. I do not own the content but did buy the right to use it when I want and as long as I want. If the "owner" does not want me to own the right to use the game whenever I want, then they should only offer rentals.

My comment on Steam (and the internet) being available in the future is simple. This is a vintage computer forum. As such, the people here are interested in vintage hardware and software. They may or may not be interested in using newer hardware/software to emulate older hardware/software. So bear this in mind as we talk about games bought today (or yesterday) made to run on machines (and software) available today.

I liken this part of the discussion to people who collect older cars. Someone who has no interest in older cars would probably wonder why someone wants to keep a car which has no stereo, GPS, video cameras, power windows, etc. Same with vintage computers. None of my friends understand why I keep these old computers - hopefully those on this forum do understand which is why we all are here.

So with this in mind, the games I have today I can play on machines I have today. Down the road, the resources required to access internet websites is going to greatly increase, probably even faster than in the past. How many machines have you had in the past which could access the internet but are now not up to the task? How many websites no longer can be accessed using your older browsers? Remember using 2400 baud modems? The point is this...if you have games today which rely on internet access for activation or anything else, you may not be able to get to the internet years from now using those same machines. The websites may require you to use browsers which are beyond the capability of your OS to handle and the hardware requirements may be beyond your machines limits. Those games may now be unuseable.

Your comment above about Steam not requiring an internet browser sounds as if it is only true if the client is already on your machine. If you need to get the client, you would have to access the Steam website and use a browser which works fully with the Steam website.

The issue is one of your perspective and your perception. When you buy boxed software, you're actually buying a license to use a copy of the software. The copyright holder is the one who owns the software. The only difference between games now and games in the past is that you actually have to account for your license now. Publishers would've done so in the past if the technology existed.

I agree. However, there are no time constraints on my use of the software. The software does not have an expiration date - if it did, I wouldn't buy it. Publishers can use whatever copy protection they desire as long as it is disclosed. The use of online services to authenticate and/or validate software introduces the possibility, and I would say the probability, that the service will not be around forever and your right to use the software, which you paid for, will be lost.

Quite a bit of business software these days need to be online to work. While I can see it being profitable to keep supplying a DRM server to paying customers down the road if needed there is no incentive to do that with old games.

I have a steam account, it got banned from discussions for mentioning "software piracy". But now if I want a game I just go to the local library with a usb flash drive and download them off torrent sites. But I find steam to be a big pain in the arse. Our home internet sucks and it takes hours to download a few hundred mbs.

Our home internet sucks and it takes hours to download a few hundred mbs.

I think this is the one of the biggest issues with things like Steam; quite a few places, even in the US, can't download a CD's worth of data in a reasonable time and may be subject to outages or other problems. Even on my fast home connection, it took a few minutes to download a game about that size; slower connections could indeed take hours, especially in areas where only 3G, DSL or dialup is available.

Also, there are ways to do DRM without having to connect to the Internet. They aren't as "secure" as ones that can phone home, but in a situation where you can't phone home, you work with what you've got. Security is about making things difficult, not impossible.

Yep, It would take 2 weeks to download skyrim with steam. I bought it on disc though but it still downloads updates.

Also, there are ways to do DRM without having to connect to the Internet. They aren't as "secure" as ones that can phone home, but in a situation where you can't phone home, you work with what you've got. Security is about making things difficult, not impossible.

This is a point I alluded to in my previous post. If I understand correctly, DRM via Steam is basically useless for games which can be played offline. Nothing stops me from sharing a Steam account with friends if all we do is use Steam to activate retail purchased offline games. If I am allowed to install a game on multiple machines (which I believe is the case with Steam) and do not need to be online (or connected to Steam) to play the game, nothing stops me from loaning the CD to a friend so he can install and activate though a shared Steam account.

It seems to me only games which are played online can be "single threaded" so only one person can use it at a time. It still does not prevent the sharing of accounts or games, just prevents more than one person from being online at any given time. For this, Steam seems to be a good fit as the user already needs to be connected to the internet.

Joe

I would be very careful in 'loaning" my game software as it could come back to bite you in the butt. From the Steam Wiki:

In accordance with its Acceptable Use Policy, Valve retains the right to block and unblock customers' access to their games and Steam services when Valve's Anti-Cheat (VAC) software determines that the user is cheating in multiplayer games, selling accounts to others or trading games to exploit regional price differences.[SUP][36][/SUP] Blocking such users initially removed access to his or her other games, leading to some users with high-value accounts losing access because of minor infractions of the AUP.[SUP][37][/SUP] Valve later changed its policy to be similar to that of Electronic Arts' Origin platform, in which blocked users can still access their games but are heavily restricted, limited to playing in offline mode and unable to participate in Steam Community features.[SUP][38][/SUP] Customers also lose access to their games and Steam account if they refuse to accept changes to Steam's end user license agreements; this occurred in August 2012.[SUP][39][/SUP]

Hi Tom,
Since Steam was designed as a DRM, my point was simply that it is very simple to circumvent this level of DRM in the case of offline games. A little trickier with online games, but clearly doable.

Two very troubling sentences from what you posted...

Valve retains the right to block and unblock customers' access to their games and Steam services when Valve's Anti-Cheat (VAC) software determines that the user is cheating in multiplayer games, selling accounts to others or trading games to exploit regional price differences.

Think about this...you have games you paid for and access can be taken away because Valve states "they have the right". Doesn't matter if you were in the wrong or right, they can take away your games until you can prove (to who?) you did nothing wrong. And who would you be fighting --- a nameless, faceless corporate entity that has no real reason to listen to you? This is a hassle I definitely do not need.

Agent Orange said:
Customers also lose access to their games and Steam account if they refuse to accept changes to Steam's end user license agreements; this occurred in August 2012.[SUP][39][/SUP]

So, if Steam changes the rules on you AFTER you had previously agreed to their terms, they can take away your ability to play games you paid for with no compensation? Again, why would you put yourself in that position?

Please, I do not mean to bash Steam as I know there are many who like the service. I just see a huge downside to purchasing software whose access is controlled by an outside agent over whom I have no control or authority.

Thanks...Joe

Last edited:
Well, most people for starters, are OK with the steam model, because they don't share their games, they just spread their account across multiple machines, like i do. Sharing or trading your account to me is a kind of piracy. The exception being if the account is one that you don't use or want anymore, and legally transfer the licenses over to the other individual. I might contradict myself, but recently i have had issues with some games, and they actually have been forthcoming in working with me to get them working. I recently bought Half Life: Blue Shift, on Windows 95 CD-ROM at the local thrift, and the key had already been activated. They were very good and cordial in regards to transferring the license from the original owner over to me, all i had to do was send proof, a scan of the thrift shop receipt, and all was good in the world.

Sharing or trading your account to me is a kind of piracy.

I completely agree. My point was simply that as a mechanism to control/stop software piracy, it is very easy to circumvent.

In addition to needing an internet connection on a machine which otherwise would not need one (and therefore requiring more active services, software, resources, security patches and potential for unwanted intrusion), my other big objection is turning control of my right to use my software over to some nameless, faceless entity over whom I have no authority.

However, as I said previously, any company has the right to use Steam for their software as long as they make that requirement known to the buyer prior to purchase.

Took me a minute to figure this out, but when I did..ROTFLMAO :eek:

Thanks...Joe

Last edited:
bah it took me longer than it should, but I'll give that a rating of LOL

I still think Steam is great (compared to alternatives) for the average PC gamer, but respect the negatives pointed out in this thread.

I keep wanting to quit, but they keep dragging me back in!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226860/

*quietly sobs*

yea, its "pre-order", but considering how many COUNTLESS HOURS i've played #1 and #2, I think I can risk it.

I also don't live in a rural backwater, so my I KID YOU NOT, I started the download just before I started this post, it is now fully downloaded. You people need to live where they have proper internet.

Back