• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What does the 26 pin connector on S3 cards do?

cchisholm

I know these are called "feature connectors" but im unable to find proper information on what exactly they do, what they connect to or specifically what i can attach to my S3 Virge.
I just bought this card off of russian ebay and im gonna be using it for a weird super socket 7 type of system, idea is bare minimum for windows XP so i can still browse the web from it for the lulz with minimal issues installing a functional browser.
Ive got a blacktop cyrix m2-233gp and 384mb of pc100, turtle beach santa cruz, etc.

If anyone knows what this can be used for, let me know. Pics included
fc.jpg
s3 small.jpg

I once had a Sharp TFT 640x480 LCD with 9 bit color interface (3 bit red, 3 bit green and 3 bit blue) connected to the feature connector of an PCI S3 VGA card.
The feature connector supplied 8 bits data, which normally would enter the DAC, and sync signals for the display and with some fiddling in the X windows settings I managed to get it to display direct color 8 bit RGB (connected the two lowest bits of blue together)
The display came from an old TI laptop.

I have a TV tuner card, a frame grabber, an MPEG1 decoder and one EISA TIGA graphics card which all use the feature connector. As mentioned above the connector is limited to an 8-bit color bus, so your max color depth is 256 colors. For the above mentioned cards this was totally fine at the time but for a specialty card like the VIP interface board for the VFX1 VR headset this is a major issue due to games by the late 90's requiring 16-bit color.
Later cards like the Dxr2 MPEG2 decoder or the Voodoo 3D accelerators worked around this by using VGA passthrough instead.

Back