• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is better for a 65 year old lady? Tablet/Laptop?

What would she want to do on it? Is she likely to drop it? I do think she'll want something with a readable screen not a small 7" display although perhaps that's fine too with some folks. If she's used a computer before I would probably go the computer route, if she has no computer experience she may like the simplicity of the tablet although I would think sometimes the gestures can get confusing if they aren't used to it.

I have to admit I'm biased though, I really don't do tablets or apple myself and I like the physical keyboard and full capabilities of the computer vs trying to use reduced service browsers or touch my way around slower on some misaligned touch screen. That's just my personal experience though and I'm sure it's much better now. Oh.. and if there's too many accessories that they have to connect I think that's a turn off for either system.

My grandmother had a laptop which she never really got into but I didn't realize every time she didn't use it she unplugged and disconnected it and put it in a drawer. So it takes a desk surface and some set up time unlike a tablet as well. Fortunately she didn't have a thin client laptop although she could have gotten away with it but I imagine she would have disliked it even more if she had to connect a cdrom or something.

Alternatively and more expensive option would be a flipbook laptop though. Best (or worst) of both worlds.

Of course a bunch of people are going to chime in saying "go iPad! It's the computer for people who are too stupid for a computer!" The heck with that. I've seen ladies older than that operate Windows 95 boxes without any trouble. Not that I'd recommend Windows 95, but a decent XP machine should do the trick just fine.

Let her try both. Her preferences should play a part.

What is the cost of wireless in Cyprus? Tablets are geared to an always connected unlimited download wireless internet.

I don't like tablet marketing. After adding external devices (like a keyboard because typing on the screen lacks feedback) and purchasing apps, the net result is something that costs more but does less than a decent laptop. And the cheap Android tablets are of such poor quality that no one should bother with them.

I haven't read all of the posts here but I've found that desktop computers seem to be the best for the elderly. They are SOOO much more reliable than laptops plus their is less of a chance of dropping them. I don't know if that is even an option for you but as someone that services laptops everyday and does on-site work for several older residential customers I can tell you that a desktop is the way to go.

Not when you're 65 it isn't. :)

No kidding. :) You should see the stack of glasses and magnifiers that I use.

All in all, it's a tough question. The "golden years" are when debilities begin setting in at various rates for different people. My weak spot is vision--if someone shoves a photo taken on their smartphone in front of my nose, I see a meaningless mashup of shapes and colors. Since I'm a touch typist, a traditional keyboard is far and above the best choice for me--not some cramped little laptop keyboard and certainly not a touch-screen device.

My sister-in-law is legally blind--would your recommend an iPad for her over a desktop with a text-to-Braille translator?

The bigger question is "What does your subject intend to do with the device?"

If she's away from home much of the day and wants to use the computer while out and about, a desktop is out of the question. If she's writing her memoirs, on the other hand, a desktop is probably the best choice. If she mostly wants to read and do casual browsing on the run, a pad could be the perfect thing.

Don't forget that we geezers have our preferences. I have an e-reader and find that I much prefer a regular book or magazine, for example. But I first had to buy the e-reader to discover my real druthers.

It's just not a simple up or down choice.

I vote too for the iPad. I had a similar situation with my grandmother wanting to experiment with some tech and want to access various decorating websites. The point-and-touch interface is simplistic enough for their learning and easy enough to keep the motivation of using it. I honestly did not think my grandmother would get much use out of it. I was wrong, (thankfully). She gets much use out of it and I think it was a good investment.

My 98 year old aunt is very happy with a 10-year old Dell laptop running XP. Newer hardware is often "too fast" for older folks making it more difficult to manipulate the mouse. She's never used a touch screen though, that may be even easier, but she didn't like my newer laptop touchscreen at all :)

My grandmother was very happy with WebTV. All she wanted to do was send an occassional email. As others have said, what does she want to do with it? Get the requirements first.

If George's aunt hasn't wanted a computer until now, has she asked for it now or is George attempting to convert her?

If she asked for it, I'd guess that she wants internet access for browsing, email and photo sharing. At the age of 65 (what I call "advanced middle age") I'd guess she wants it in her home and she wants minimum hassles for setup and daily use. The issues are really ergonomic, not technical. I've observed/coached a good few users in this bracket.

We tend to forget how concepts like hierarchical menus, file directories and mouse clicks can be challenging for new users.

Limit the user's choices to the things you know they want to do. A desktop with automatic or always-on internet, set up with the favourite applications in desktop shortcuts (and unnecessary icons removed) will help a new user get familiar. More applications and shortcuts can be added when and if requested.

If the user really wants mobility and built-in camera functions, then add a tablet. Most "advanced middle age" users don't want or need that. Also relevant is the monthly cost of internet connectivity - it varies widely but connection via cellular network can be extortionate, and connection by wi-fi means keeping an access point running at home and knowing how to connect to access points elsewhere. All can be challenging to the unfamiliar user.

Your aunt may prefer a laptop in place of a desktop for aesthetic reasons - it is smaller so it looks less intimidating and more tidy. Such a user will normally use a laptop exactly like a desktop and rarely take it out of the house. They are also more likely to leave it turned off if they find it challenging.

You will spend some time tailoring the solution to the "customer".

Rick

If George's aunt hasn't wanted a computer until now, has she asked for it now or is George attempting to convert her?

Very good point. That will indeed make a difference. Besides, all 65 year olds are not created equal. :)

We tend to forget how concepts like hierarchical menus, file directories and mouse clicks can be challenging for new users.

Yes, but they are fundamental. One needs to learn about it one way or another. I think they are actually quite intuitive, but there is a problem with how they are presented. The tendency is to try to cover up thing like file directories and hierarchical structures to the point that it becomes difficult to learn what is going on without taking into account the perversities of marketing droids. The desktop analogy has done more harm to people's (especially older people's) understanding of computing than most people imagine. It was cute at first, but has evolved to the point where the abstraction is absurd. Explaining things with faulty analogies is bad. Integrating faulty analogies in the interface is worse. The comprehension of this twisted thinking is probably the biggest hurdle for older people who are likely to think that computers are put together in a logical manner.

The desktop analogy has done more harm to people's (especially older people's) understanding of computing than most people imagine. It was cute at first, but has evolved to the point where the abstraction is absurd. Explaining things with faulty analogies is bad. Integrating faulty analogies in the interface is worse.

This is like the Irishman, when asked the way to Tipperary, saying "Well if I was going to Tipperary, I wouldn't be starting from here" ;)

I can't think of a single visual element of a GUI that isn't a metaphor of some kind - windows, buttons, menus, mouse, files, folders, tiles... a "cursor" is a proper term, but pre-dates GUI.

An underlying hierarchical file system is now universal, and better than a single vast flat system - but still very hard to visualize once you depart from vendor defaults.

OJ is right that every attempt to simplify it seems to add another layer of abstraction and obfuscation. I know I have completely failed to master the icon-oriented layered menus on my elementary 2G cell phone.

Georgy's apparently simple OP raises some very fundamental issues about human interface to screen-based technology. Idealists say "let's standardize", vendors say "let's compete", users say "@#$%^&*".

Does anyone have a master plan?

Rick

This is like the Irishman, when asked the way to Tipperary, saying "Well if I was going to Tipperary, I wouldn't be starting from here" ;)

I can't think of a single visual element of a GUI that isn't a metaphor of some kind - windows, buttons, menus, mouse, files, folders, tiles... a "cursor" is a proper term, but pre-dates GUI.

It actually took me a while to come to terms with the cursor concept. To this day I think they got it wrong, and if this were another thread would be prepared to go on at length about that.

An underlying hierarchical file system is now universal, and better than a single vast flat system - but still very hard to visualize once you depart from vendor defaults.

To 65 year olds the best visualisation is probably that of a library. The Dewey Decimal System is more than familiar to those who have grown up in the "library generation" before computers, and it is almost identical to how computers are organized. Tell grama that "it's like a library" and she will probably have a level of comprehension that exceeds that of most young people on the subject of hierarchical file systems.

OJ is right that every attempt to simplify it seems to add another layer of abstraction and obfuscation. I know I have completely failed to master the icon-oriented layered menus on my elementary 2G cell phone.

Georgy's apparently simple OP raises some very fundamental issues about human interface to screen-based technology. Idealists say "let's standardize", vendors say "let's compete", users say "@#$%^&*".

You put that very well. "Layers of abstraction and obfuscation". lol

Does anyone have a master plan?

In some ways I hope there isn't, but am afraid that there in fact is one, and it's not implemented by any group that cares about computers. (hint: they want you to buy something)

Back